Two Spoke Forums banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ek is Amerikaner.
Lived in Jo'burg area for 5 years, been back here for almost 10 years now. I'd kill for
biltong and a Castle.
Did you hear that Lance is going to ride the Cape Argus tours?
3 in 1 oil, that brings back memories!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi lotek,

That's great! I visited Jo'burg regularly as a kid, but not as often as an adult. It's too gritty for my liking.

I met an American in Cape Town when I was a student still. He came to SA to monitor the transformation, We met in ninety-one and he returned for three subsequent years. I took him around to help him from getting mugged, lol. I promised him then that I will make it to NY one day. Little did I know those words would come true! I'm in NY now for two years.

You can get your Castle and biltong here - you just need to hook up with the many SA cowboys there in Texas, there's many of them.

Lance Armstrong in the Argus! The Argus always formed part of a bigger national tour, the Rapport Tour, which is just like the TTF. The participant count, when I last participated in the Argus was twenty-two-thousand riders. I understand it's the biggest cycling event in the world! When the movie Invictus was made, Brad Pitt also did it; but why he did it on a tandem is anyone's guess..... lol.

While in the US, I soooo wished to do the Argus cycle tour, but I just lost my job and is hunting high and low for another. Let me know if you know of any. It's just me, my bikes and my suit.... lol.

Anyhow, what year did you land in RSA?

·
Registered
71 Posts
yah, didn't like Jo'burg all that much. We were in northern suburbs so not as 'gritty'.
I preferred either Sodwanna bay, Umkomas, or southern Moz (Ponto d'Oro).
Very good friend of mine has a dive operation in capetown now, used to be in Sandton.
So, what kind of work do you do?
I know more than a few Afrikaaners here, they too bemoan the lack of Castle and Biltong.
there was this lekker shop here that sold US made biltong and Droewors and other RSA food stuffs but they closed down. My friend who used to send me game biltong (kudu) retired so no more packages, now it's just Beef Jerky and Bud (and not even a proper budvar!), hell I'd drink a black label now and enjoy it.

Marty

·
rodan
9 Posts
Personal Renewal Plan

When I turned 50 I found out that I had Type 2 Diabetes and decided that I needed a Personal Renewal Plan. Riding was my answer to the physical aspect of the plan. I went to Wal-Mart and bought the best bike they had for about $100. My first ride was for a total of about 3 miles. Within a month I upgraded to a Trek 1500. 7 years later I have a carbon fiber frame and put over 130 miles per week in group rides. Cycling has saved my life literally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same here, rodan.

I immigrated from South-Africa, where I had a relatively active lifestyle. Upon arriving in Seattle I found myself cooped up in my apartment as I waited virtually year-in and year-out for the sun to come out. At the end my doctor informed me of my type II diabetes.

I live in NY now and last weekend I found myself alone cycling on the bike-path in West Manhattan.

Titanium is how I roll. I have to admit it's heavier than carbon; but I am not changing to carbon soon, if ever. Not that there's a heaven for titanium lovers only; just sharing that I'll probably be in the second coming of the ark with my Ti......lol.

·
retromike3
274 Posts
It started when I saw the movie Bracing Away when I was a kid and it got me going. First I road to work during the summers and then I started to ride to school downtown. I have been riding ever since then and now build frames and couplet bikes as a hobby.

Mike the bike guy

·
717 Posts
I didn't have a car, but then again I was only 8 years old. Been riding for the last 47 years since then for pure enjoyment. No racing, no measuring fitness with fancy computers, no interval training, no cadence counting, no weight issues to combat, just digging the freedom of riding my bike through the backroads and cities of this beautiful land.

Like an old SA girlfriend used to say...mockney sockney (sp?)

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
In kindergarten I won a bike at the kid's christmas party at the local movie theatre. It was a thrill to go on stage to get it, to walk it home surrounded by excited kids, and then it was a thrill to ride it around the neighborhood. I guess i've been cycling most of the time since then.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've liked bikes since I had a trike as a toddler. I didn't get my own bike until 1962 though but borrowed a spare bike from one of the other kids and practised and rode on that. Back then we all rode what today is known as fixies. Bikes with gears and handbrakes were for kids with rich parents only.
It was great fun barrelling down a hill, letting go of the pedals and the trick was to get hold of them before you blazed through the busy intersection at the bottom.
Didn't get my first geared bike (a Raleigh Tourist) until 1985 and now I'm the happy owner of a TREK S720, a great bike.
I don't drive, don't even have a DL, so I use my bike for everything, commuting, leisure rides and exercise.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
Like many of you, I rode alot as a kid and the bike got put away as I got older. I have always loved cycling and remained a fan of pro cycling throughout my life. In August of 2003 I was diagnosed as a Typr II Diabetic and lost 2 toes off of my left foot due to an infection. Running was difficult for me so most other sports were out of the picture. I brought out my old Falcon (now deceased) roadie and started riding again. In 2005 I got myself a LeMond Tiurmalet (since stolen...now riding my backup bike, Raleigh Grand Sport....2003) and the love was back.....still riding and loving it. In fact, some days I think I would lose all sanity were it not for my cycling.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congratulations Brian - in 2002 I received the same damning news re. typeII diabetes.... You scare the beJesus out of me with the loss of your toes!

Recently I hurt my foot; but my doctor still was optimistic. I only had to go get myself orthodics for my arches that bottomed out on me, which means my expensive Cidi's are now redundant and I have to buy a bigger pair!

Take care with the diabetes and all the best!

·
retromike3
274 Posts
another diabetic riding

I have had diabetes since i was three years old and have been riding seriously since high school (back when dinosaurs ruled the earth) I can say without a doubt one of the chief reasons I am still alive is that I ride a bike every day. Since most of the kids I went to diabetic camp with are dead now and I have out lived at least three of my doctors(when I got it your life expectancy was twenty years after you get type one) I am already way in the bonus round.

I have noted that If I haven't ridden my bike its really hard for me to get blood from my fingers for a blood test, But if I do the same test after a ride the blood just squirts out.(for those of you not diabetic you need to get a drop of blood in order to test your blood sugar, this is accomplished with a little needle that pokes your finger)

The draw back is that I have almost as much scar tissue as skin now. I always lived my life like: live fast die young and have a closed casket funeral. but because I ride my bike I am in good enough shape that I keep surviving. The old saying goes if I thought I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Keep riding and you will keep living. Back when I had my retail shop I had a customer who was a diabetic and he lost a few toes and stopped riding (he was in his sixties) he died six months later. I wish I could have talked him into keeping up his riding. I have a friend who also ran a shop and had type one, but he did not ride his bike and they have amputated three of his toes and he has had a quadruple bypass already. I haven't seen him in a few years so I don't know if he is still around.

I have plans to start commuting from Beaverton to Portland in the new term so I have about a month to get into shape to accomplish that goal. So tomorrow I am going to try to get there by bike again.

Mike Frye

PS. I still have all my toes

·
Group rookie
392 Posts
What got you into cycling?
1. Slowing metabolism as I approached membership in the 4-decade club.
2. My wife's renewed interest in hitting the trails.
3. Inspiration from a neighbor who raced and did tris.
4. My wife tells me I look sexy in Lycra...

·
Til' the wheels fall off
17 Posts
I grew up on a BMX bike, like most. I had not rode a bike in over ten years, then one day a friend let me take a ride on his Peugeot single speed. I had NEVER ridden a road bike before that. I absolutely had to have one!!
Two months later I bought a single speed road bike. I ride just about every day, love it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hashimotos started wreaking havoc on my body a couple years ago, my metabolism died, had joint pain/stiffness (running made that worse), and access to a lot of trails with our move to Colorado really made me want to try cycling. I didn't want one of those crazy road bikes - that riding position is insane and just hurts your back!!! So my husband got me a nice comfort bike for Christmas one year. I loved it! I rode all the time, in the morning before work, in the snow - it didn't matter. 7 months later I bought a commuter bike, lighter and with 700c tires, and I was unstoppable! In February of this year when I sold my motorcycle because of the Hashi's, I bought a cross bike (one of them crazy road bike type things!), and I'm scheduled to compete in my 3rd triathlon in 2 weeks, and put those cross tires back on it for a race in 3 weeks.
Riding does so many things for me - it's very refreshing for me to commute into work, starts my day off right. It clears my head. It challenges me when I'm doing speed or hill intervals, or trying something new and fun like when I did a mountain bike race a month ago on my friend's bike. It takes me places I can't go in a car, and it takes too long to get there by foot.
Now, with cycling, even when my Hashi's goes on a rampage, I still feel somewhat in control; I'm not as helpless I felt before.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Is everyone still in it for the same reasons?

I find mine has worked away from weight loss and is now about getting around. I guess I'm comfortable with my weight.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
i started riding when i was old enough to understand how to pedal.... for fun and transportation. then as i grew up, i liked the challenge of off road cycling, xc, dh, dj, and all... road for speed.
never thought about doing it to stay fit but of course that is one consequence.
when we moved from Maxey-sur-Meuse, France to the U.S. i was high school age and road everywhere. once i became old enough to get a license never cared enough to go take the test.
so, i still ride for the reasons i have always ridden, to get from here to there, for fun, to see how far i can go, to go fast, to relax, to see places, to jump off rocks, and of course because bikes need riders as much as little girls need hugs! (especially from our daddy's when we have a bad day)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gosh, what a great thread! Well, I'm 61 and I started fiddling with bikes again about 3 years ago.

Our communuty had a clean up weekend and I pulled 4 bikes out of the dumpster, 2 were 20" single speeds, one was a 20'' 21speed with front and rear suspension, and the last was a large framed MTB. All 3 20 inchers were put back into riding condition with penetrating oil and a tire pump. The 20 inchers were given to local grandparents for the young'uns to ride when they were visiting. My wife and I enjoyed riding the MTB, it was the first adult bike that we had ridden that actually fit us.

Last summer were were blested with our first grandchild, and I was so out of shape that I was having difficulty getting up and down off the floor. I found a like new 20" long wheelbase bike at a yard sale. It was a real slow start, my knees didn't like to bend. In a few weeks, I could ride a mile, by autum, I was riding about an hour a day.
I was hooked, and my bride was ridding that old MTB right beside me.
We took the plunge, we bout 2 new comfort bikes that fit! We are both really enjoying riding and we are both lighted and healthier. We are planning to do some bicycle touring this summer.

BTW, thank you for Two Spokes!

BobH.

·
Two skinny J's
21,192 Posts
What got me into cycling? It was really just happenstance! My wife and I quit smoking and were looking for something to do together. So we went to Dicks Sporting goods and bought a couple of Diamondback hybrids because who needs to spend a bunch of money on bikes, right? Her father had had the dreaded triple bypass and was riding 26 miles a day and we (maybe just me) thought if he can do that I can easily do more, yea right! The first ride around the neighborhood and a whopping 5 miles later and slightly saddle sore quickly gave me second thoughts about what I could do on a bike. We did enjoy feeling like kids riding around again tho and kept riding. Made several weekend trips to places like New River Trail State Park New River Trail Galax Va Pulaski Va Fries Va Rail Trails Virginia Bike Trails Virginia. We have been back serval times taking friends and family back. The more I rode the more I felt the need for speed and found myself in the market for a faster bike. I was dead set against getting a road bike...for many reasons but ended up buying a Specialized Roubiax Elite. Rode a little under 3k miles the first year I had that and have just kept going ever since. Asked a friend to ride with me and now we ride together, usually 3 days a week. I remember asking him if he would be interested in trying to ride a 100 miles with me and we rode the Southern Maryland Century - THE INDIAN HEAD 100. We did it in a six and half hours and learned a lot! I think we were some of the last to trickle back in. I swore I would never ride that slow in a century again and we have steadily increased our pace and distance over the past couple of years.

My riding style has changed a bit but I still enjoy riding with my wife. She does not like the road bikes at all so that's a bit disappointing but it's ok. We have even expanded into kayaking and are looking to purchase a couple of them this spring.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts