Two Spoke Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I really used to dislike biking when I was oh so small. I learned to ride a bike, the hard way. By my step dad.. No further comment. But as I got older I realized how much I love doing it. Feeling the breeze across your face, watching time go right by you. Some people say biking is for sissys that don't want or know how to do anything else but, it's all about being yourself. Theres nobody there to judge how good or terrible you are. Unlike most sports. No, you do it and you enjoy it. You slow down, slighten your pace. Look at what you got infront of you.. Life.. and your handlebars.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
I really used to dislike biking when I was oh so small. I learned to ride a bike, the hard way. By my step dad.. No further comment. But as I got older I realized how much I love doing it. Feeling the breeze across your face, watching time go right by you. Some people say biking is for sissys that don't want or know how to do anything else but, it's all about being yourself. Theres nobody there to judge how good or terrible you are. Unlike most sports. No, you do it and you enjoy it. You slow down, slighten your pace. Look at what you got infront of you.. Life.. and your handlebars.
i love what you have said!

·
717 Posts
When I ride I can't help but have tunes running thru my head, usually I make up my own words. This one is to the tune of "Feeling Groovy" by Paul Simon and think it mirrors what you feel.

Slow down, don’t peddle too fast
You got to make the bike ride last
Shift to low and peddle slow
On your own and feeling groovy

·
Banned
400 Posts
how does everyone have a pic but i don't... i thought i put my pic on here.. I thought i should get more into it to keep fit and save gas.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
It is the pursuit of betterness in self that got me hooked on biking. For me biking is always a competition, but always against myself. It is a tangible measure of physical fitness and mental strength. Due to the multifaceted nature of biking I feel it is more capable of pushing oneself and building oneself than let's say simply running or weightlifting. In my biking I've enjoyed road, mtb, commuting, bike trials, and demos. Each has different areas that push you, build you, and can express you. The areas of your character and personality are built/changed differently by each aspect.

There is nothing like a full out sprint to absolute full end of your potential when you're actually in shape. Neither is there anything like cranking out 60 mile days... day after day after day. You look for that moment when you will collapse. Me and a friend in high school used to ride till be vomitted and keep on going, but we never raced for "real." It was a struggle to find who we were, what we were capable of. In trials I know to the inch what I can and cannot do, exactly where that line is... and I try to go just a little past it. It's also an art, a way to put one's self into a style or riding that is different than others. You become one with the bike, hands and feet don't end at pedals and handlebars. Your mind no longer thinks about how to do a bunnyhop... your nervous system has been programmed to do it automatically. It is beautiful and graceful and a continuation of self.

...Of course there are bad days when I can't focus or haven't ridden in a while

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I ride I can't help but have tunes running thru my head, usually I make up my own words. This one is to the tune of "Feeling Groovy" by Paul Simon and think it mirrors what you feel.

Slow down, don’t peddle too fast
You got to make the bike ride last
Shift to low and peddle slow
On your own and feeling groovy
Sweet words

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Not bad today, maybe 45, cloudy, still good amount of snow off the roads, but the roads are dry. Rolled one of my regular routes with 2 friends, first time this year, first 30 miler. Feels so liberating after a bad winter, like flying. I'm a klutz at anything else, but I can roll with the gang on the bike. Questions, anyone?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You do know that 90% of the people on the list won't know the tune to those words now don't you? It is funny when you realize that people don't know John Madden as a football coach.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
"Tens of thousands who could never afford to own, feed and stable a horse, had by this bright invention enjoyed the swiftness of motion which is perhaps the most fascinating feature of material life." ~Frances Willard, How I Learned to Ride the Bicycle

·
717 Posts
You do know that 90% of the people on the list won't know the tune to those words now don't you? It is funny when you realize that people don't know John Madden as a football coach.
Way to make me feel old!

Actually, looking at some of the vintage bicycle pics here and realizing that I rode some of them as a kid REALLY makes me feel old!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I rode a little when i was younger then got away from it. I turned 49 and was starting to get heavy and heart disease runs in my family. So i tried the tread mill and the knees could not take it so i was on vacation and started riding my old Schwinn road bike and liked it. That was 2 years ago i have lost 25 lbs and about 5000 dollars in bike equipment lol.
I just got my new Trek 4.7 this year for my birthday and i am hooked.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
I rode a little when i was younger then got away from it. I turned 49 and was starting to get heavy and heart disease runs in my family. So i tried the tread mill and the knees could not take it so i was on vacation and started riding my old Schwinn road bike and liked it. That was 2 years ago i have lost 25 lbs and about 5000 dollars in bike equipment lol.
I just got my new Trek 4.7 this year for my birthday and i am hooked.
25lbs for 5 grand.... sounds about right. :D 4.7 is a nice bike

·
Registered
69 Posts
What got me into riding was a buddy of mine started training and raising money for the Leukimia & Lymphoma Society to go to the America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe. I decided to join in, and rasing the $4500 was harder than the ride i'll say that much.

It was a century ride and up until the 50 mile training ride I was going on my 2006 Specialized Rockhopper (MTB). Then I finally broke down and got my Felt F80 and it seemed as though I was only riding half the distance. But all in all it was a great time, even though my friend dropped out, and it got me started in cycling.

Brad

·
Registered
66 Posts
I started riding like everybody else about age 4 or 5.Let's see, that was 1956. But by 7 Iwas taking bikes apart and putting them together and working on my friends bikes. Got my first 3 speed "english bike" when I was 10. Built that one from junk parts actually. Then I became a paperboy and my bikes took on a new role: workhorse. I didnt have a bike for a short time I was in the Navy,(although I rented bikes in Europe and Asia) but when I got out I began commuting to work and back. Then I got interested in touring, then racing, both road and mountain bikes. I have a recumbent too. I havent had a single speed since I was 9 though, not interested in those anymore. Just love riding and building bikes. Its always been a priority in my life to ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
what got you into cycling

After a devastating car accident.(2006) I spent 6 mos. in hospital, had to learn to walk again. Put me back together with literally hundreds of titanium screws and plates. Found out that sitting around feeling sorry for myself was not cutting it and I needed to get active, I was starting to look like Jabba the hutt! Running was not really an option since I still couldn't really walk pain free, balance was also an issue. So I decided to try cycling see if it was feasible so I went to my local bike shop and purchased a trek 4300. (2007) started commuting to work. Went on some longer rides with it, joined twin cities bike club and decided I needed a road bike. Found a 80's model Giant Quasar on craigs list for $200 purchased it. liked it, 2 weeks later I found a Trek 1220. much lighter bike, absolutely love it. (2010) this past august, I purchased a brand new Trek Madone. cycling has become an obsession of mine. I ride all 4 bikes at different times my Giant and 1220 have become my commuters. 4300 will be my winter time ride. I want to work my way up to my first century this spring/summer. came close this past june did 78 miles on the Paul Bunyan trail in Pequot lakes Mn. Cycling has literally saved my life.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I was five the older kids on the block would stop playing and start riding their bikes. I didn't have one but my dad did. I leaned his bike (26" American standard with coaster brakes) up against the fence and climbed on. Riding was easy, stopping was another story but we lived on a barrier island and there was plenty of sand. I was too short to sit on the seat but that didn't matter. When I got tired I'd coast up to the fence and get off. Neither my father or mother ever complained and to this day 60 years later I'm not sure they knew I was riding his bike then. I rode bikes till I was 16 and car keys became more important. About that time three speed bikes were becoming more common and I was having a tought time keeping up with them going up hill.

Didn't get back into bikes until 43 years later. Been riding ever since. However, my commute to work was 52 miles using the interstates I never ever thought about using a bike to get to work. Now that I'm retired, I ride much more but the tought of towing my 12K RV trailer is a bit daunting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Several big reasons I began cycling and then became addicted. Get back in shape after cancer, knee replacement, and got tired of pouring money into my gas tank and lining oil companies pockets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long time ago

The Montreal Olympics is where I was first bitten. I went home and trashed the plans to save for a car and started to go to local bike shops. After the ubiquitous Schwinn Varsity I saved up for my first racing bike in 1976-77. It was a Raleigh Grand Sport, all 531 tubing with mostly Suntour drive train. There was not the Component Gruppo package then so you likely could have a United Nations on your bike. English saddle, French pedals, etc. etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Had ridden as a kid and loved it. Grew older and forgot about it until my brother came over one day with his bike. He invited me to take it for a spin around the block and I rediscovered it. Since I only worked four miles from home at the time, bought a used bike and started commuting. 20 years later, I'm still commuting 2-4 times a week, 9 miles each way, just enjoying life and the world better out in the wind and elements.

·
Registered
57 Posts
213 lbs, high blood sugar, high triglycerides, high blood pressure! down 24 lbs, blood sugar, tri's and blood pressure normal after 4 months! thats what did it for me!

61 - 80 of 87 Posts