Two Spoke Forums banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I got back on the bike after many years, the thought kept going through my head "Can I go faster, can I go faster?". Okay, at 65, I'm not ridding road races but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
From the previous posts, I could sure cobble together my "what got me back into biking" response. Rode lots as a child then moved away from it for many years. But, as I watched my mom wither away with congestive heart failure and my dad's legs grow weak and wobbly, I made the decision that I did not want to be reliant on someone to help me get around in the coming years. I made the decision that I needed to do something to help and running is not the answer for me, so a bicycle seemed like the obvious answer! Got one and have rediscovered the joy of riding and, at the same time, building my leg strength.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Like most, I've been riding since I was a kid but what has kept me riding (aside from the ridiculous price of gasoline) is the endless amount of possibilities I feel when I get on my bike. Since I can remember my family has been taking yearly camping trips to Peninsula State Park in Door County, Wisconsin. This park has always been a source of biking inspiration for me with its endless, winding paths and beautiful lakefront roads. It's a peaceful place surrounded by sky-scraping trees and friendly people and a place where I feel most connected to myself and the earth. It's just me, my bike and the pavement and I've got the ability to choose my adventure.

On a side note, if you are looking for an affordable, fun summer vacation or just weekend get away, I would absolutely recommend a stay in the park!! Make campsite reservations far in advance though! Just pack the van with a tent, some clothes, a bathing suit and your bike and you're set! A couple summers ago I biked the peninsula from Fish Creek to Washington Island with my mom. Going from Valley to peek was a killer and it took us almost an entire day on our hybrids but the scenery and people honking and cheering for encouragement was well worth it!

Attachments

·
889 Posts
When I was a kid I used to ride everywhere with my best friend and we'd go for hours. But what really got me hooked into the sport and training was after watching the 1989 Tour de France. I bought a "speed bike" shortly after, had it stolen a year later and upgraded from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started riding (as an adult) just to clear my brain and feel like a child again. Riding is such a freeing experience. What is just around the next corner, or over the next hill? Keep pedalling and find out. Oh what fun.
I agree, the same reason I became a rider. I have been a runner for many years but I was limited on the ground I could cover. On a bike I can experience so much more, plus going downhill, what a rush!

·
Registered
6 Posts
my son

when my son started collage,he started riding road bike.as a kid i lived on bikes and i figured its a great way to spend time with him, and stay in shape.i just felt like a kid again.that was 4 years ago.built a frame up bike last year,and ride almost everyday.52 years old and i love going fast!!.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts