Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd start up a service/maintenance/upgrade/mod thread to consolidate bits of this kind of info embedded in the Did You Ride Today? and Most Recent Purchase threads. That way those threads could be more focused on riding and purchases and this one could cover purchases and actions to get you out on those rides by keeping your machines happy and thriving...........taking it to LBS for whatever reason allowed too I suppose, lol.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I will kick things off and get ball rolling with upcoming brake service my Stache 7 will be getting once the rotors make the scene. Currently still scrubbing along with 2017 dot 5.1 fluid....eegads.....but it is stored inside in AC so humidity kept to minimum and shares carting the human around chores with many other bikes. Anyway still has oem SRAM Level T pads and rotors. Gonna be experimenting, to a degree with some Harheaded Ram sintered aggressive/dh material pads due to plus size rims and tires and my non skinny self and mucho shenaniganos. rotors are floating 6 bolt units with a bit of icetech styling. Didn't go with SRAM bleed kit due to not needing bleeding edge adapter or all the other tidbits that come with. The Level T brakes have standard ports on levers and calipers. Here are pics of the parts. Pics of the install will be forthcoming when it actually plays out....

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did take the IVA stack out of the Stache fork and arrange the spacers for more linear response vs the progressive setting it was on which was giving up too much sag and resulting in no dampening option settings to keep it as firm as I like it regardless of psi in air side. Now it is not maxxed out on air with only one acceptable dampening setting. It is more firm with less psi in air side and it has at least 3 useful dampening settings that do not waste travel with initial sag. All of this is independent of rebound settings. That now has a few positions vs none really with air spring set up on full progressive rate. It is one step shy of full linear right now. I am going to leave it like it is now and give it a real ride before any more tuning. I think I have a much better starting point for my needs/wants than how it came back from the shop.

Rectangle Font Metal Pattern Monochrome photography

Set like left in pic. Less volume more linear, more volume more progressive. I now have all special tools to service this fork so doubting it'll ever need LBS trip. Not sorry.....

·
Two skinny J's
21,585 Posts
Nope.. whooped from the wind this week. Bike clean and maintenance day :)
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Two skinny J's
21,585 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa, magic, it's like you have these forum powers.......that don't has username spellcheck.....not snickering, I promise.

Reactions: rola643

·
Old, fat, and slow
945 Posts
I have a Ribmo on the front of a bike I hardly ever ride, but it saw a Lot of service back several years ago. My recollection was that it was heavier (in grams, not feel--but the wheels were a lot heavier and the whole bike was heavier, who knows? ... I can't tell anyway.) but also that it seemed to last forever and not flat.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
They make up for weight with flat protection and less rolling resistance due to being egg shaped. Also able to run them at at bit lower psi for comfort and still have low rolling resistance. And then they had me at price. Haven't put many miles on them other than test ride and working out the arthritis the bike had from basically just hanging around for years growing cobwebs but they felt really good.

Bicycle Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel

Bike felt less sketchy somehow. Maybe it'll get more play now......no promises.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
1,906 Posts
I do my own work because I like to and I know it will either be done right or if I make a mistake I’ll catch it and fix it. Too many friend’s bikes come back from the shop with problems still present, necessitating a second trip.

Although my own shop is quite good, I was mortified one time and was glad I was there to catch it. I bought a Pegoretti fixed gear frameset from them, and some of the kit, and did most of the build myself. I don’t have a headset press, so I needed them to seat the cups. While doing that, I thought they might as well cut the steerer and install the star nut. Steerer cut was fine, but the mechanic then put the fork on the concrete floor, supported by the dropouts, to bang in the star nut. I stopped him immediately. He was a bit taken aback, but did it another way that would not put the finish at risk. I just don’t get it.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't throw much work to LBS other than tubeless stuff, which is very infrequent, and decided to throw them a bit more work on the fork. Fork isn't any rocket sciece so that won't happen again since I have the tools to do the work. I have never had issue pressing bearing cups with grease, 2x4 and a ball peen. Star nut goes in with fork and wheel installed and sitting on ground, hello.

·
Old, fat, and slow
945 Posts
I made a headset press out of carefully selected lengths and diameters of PVC tubing, and usually use a 2x4 between the fork blades supporting the bottom of the steerer ... not that i don't Want the dropouts to snap off and render the fork useless, just that I don't want to do that Accidentally.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
With the new everything bike on it’s way next month I was planning on selling my present donit all Raleigh Clubman but I’ve decided to keep it as road buke and plan on stripping it down to the bare bomes. No rack, no fenders, nothing. Skinny tires going back on and may look at lighter rims too.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no vaccine for n+1.....and it doesn't go away, it gets more intense..........................

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
For my bike, I’ve given up on the LBS and have opened communications directly with Specialized, in hopes of getting them to honor their warranty.

If things don’t go well via this route, I’m considering selling out and starting over with a different company all together.
So, that’s what I’ve done for my bike......given it one more chance.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Salivating over the arrival of the new rotors so the bleed, rotor, pad thing for the Stache can happen.....and also an epic ride with new fork parts, chain, tires, brakes on suitable deserving trail terrain.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,453 Posts
It didn't happen today, but I'm prepping for when I can return to the saddle. Using the LBS due to the fact that I'm limited to lifting 10lbs and choosing to take the restriction seriously. Also, I don't own a wheel truing stand.

I've had the wheels of the Montague and Safari both trued, the Safari's rear wheel was tensioned and trued to resolve a loaded squeaking issue. Chip's trailer got checked and lubed, and the Safari's front wheel is getting its bearings re-packed and adjusted. Brakes were also adjusted all around. Now, I merely lack the surgeon's go-ahead. Hopefully coming soon. I've signed up for the Tour of Moon again, and need to get to putting in those practice miles!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts