Two Spoke Forums banner
181 - 200 of 217 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,686 Posts
It’s been a grind the pat few months. My wife got a new job working 70-80 hrs a week so I’m doing the mr mom thing and working.
That's not a job....that's slavery :D Sounds like my on call weeks. Week of call and it's a 2 week recovery for me anymore.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
fixin to be learning how to rebuild the fox rr shock on the AnthemX and might as well put all the new Enduro pivot bearings in while I am at it. Bearing tool en route and not real sure how the shock thing will turn out. present one seems to be developing some issue not related to holding air nor is it frame or shock bushing related. the play and slight knock almost seems stiction related as it clunks a little upon initial compression. Rest of travel is just fine. air pressure is fine. Still researching causes and cure. have the oem fox ctd shock as well as another rockshox monarch rl. After I go thru those 2 might have to buy a new 6.50 x 1.50.....

xfusion? cane creek? ohlin? opinions? experiences?

·
1,966 Posts
fixin to be learning how to rebuild the fox rr shock on the AnthemX and might as well put all the new Enduro pivot bearings in while I am at it. Bearing tool en route and not real sure how the shock thing will turn out. present one seems to be developing some issue not related to holding air nor is it frame or shock bushing related. the play and slight knock almost seems stiction related as it clunks a little upon initial compression. Rest of travel is just fine. air pressure is fine. Still researching causes and cure. have the oem fox ctd shock as well as another rockshox monarch rl. After I go thru those 2 might have to buy a new 6.50 x 1.50.....

xfusion? cane creek? ohlin? opinions? experiences?
I got nuthin’, sorry. I’m strictly road. I’m thinking YouTube is your friend.

·
1,966 Posts
Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Grey Sportswear Gadget

I replaced a BOA closure today. I’m thinking it’s poorly designed. The cable didn’t break, but the black cable covering became frayed and failed and was catching in the spool such that it wouldn’t fully release and I needed a shoe horn to get my foot in. It’s odd that the upper closure has a black sheathing while the lower has clear. The clear did not fail. It’s a bit thinner and feels more flexible. The cable is stainless steel so I imagine the cover is to inhibit rust. It seems to this non-engineer that fishing line might be better in this application, and the use of steel requiring a covering is a bit over-engineered. I’m open to being enlightened.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
Well I contacted BiSaddle and told them that they advertise the most comfortable saddle for everyone. Well your saddle is so hard it bruises my bum on these nasty gravel roads we have. That is not comfortable. They sent me their thickest pads and I put them on today. They look to be maybe 1/8 inch thicker. Maybe if I build my glutes I won’t be riding bone on bone. I took a short ride today to try it out. Definitely better but I only did a couple miles of gravel.
Sports gear Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Automotive tire Bicycle saddle Bicycle part
View attachment 53691 [
The black pads are the ones that are too hard
The grey ones are the new ones they sent me.

Attachments

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
(insert long drawn out sigh with eye roll combo here).........life begins yet again for the red bike. This'll make like the 5th version of it...maybe this time it'll take. Bare bones skeletal pic....
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Headed towards being a 3x8 rigid mech disc 26er. Scarfing thru parts on hand other than wheelset, rim strips and a coupla Schrader tubes to make it happen. Stx-rc shifters, promax disc setup, panaracer 2.1 red wall fire xc pro tires, wtb speed v seat so far. Not sure what transmission but several fr, rr der and cranksets to ponder. Plenty of cabling on hand. First mag wheel ride. More to come......

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Dug up promax disc calipers with matching levers, nice light xt 8spd cassette, got some self sealing schrader tubes, put hands on fresh 3x8 stx-rc shifters, mounted tires up, pulled out a set of avid rotors and fresh bolts to complete wheelset assembly. Looking at using a silver triple crankset and may have to end up scoring a silver rr derailluer of some sort. I have a silver 105 but is short cage and not thinking it'll work with the 28 or 30 tooth cassette. I do have a 10 spd road cassette but not sure if dropping a couple of cogs off it and using ss spacer rings will work but willing to give it a try before spending more money...object is to use most stuff on hand as possible and this bike won't require mtb gearing. If the road cassette with spacers works and allows me to use the 105 rr der I already have then so be it. That's about where things are right now.......more to come.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 · (Edited)
lol, nope, not work to me. wish i got paid to build and fix bikes. it's therapy and fun. been wrenchin on everything since childhood, not just bikes. The work part is figuring out how to use the most stuff possible out of all the parts i already have and make something useful. After this one will have to dream it and buy parts to make it happen....bikes are to me like they are to sprocketgirl and always have been. I just can't put it into words like she does. It's kinda like art you can hop on and ride off on for free in any direction you want and you are the only limit. It is a special form of freedom. Building and creating them from a pile of parts is a rewarding form of expression.....there, as close as i can xplain it.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
More.....stickers off wheels, have spacers to use with 105 cassette, going with 105 rr der, found stx rc 44/32/22 crankset but thinking of using a brand new comfort crankset that is 48/38/28 I found buried in crankset tub.

Crankset Wheel Gear Automotive tire Bicycle part
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Tire Wheel Bicycle Car Vehicle

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Today I got canine companion Chip's primary ride back from the LBS. Parts were covered under warranty. Thank you, Burley! They replaced the whole towing yoke and its qr skewer. Labor could have been worse, and was worth it. What a headache I handed them! It wasn't the qr skewer that was bent, it was the passage in the yoke used by the skewer to connect trailer and yoke. Pics to come.

Thanks to the time spent towing Chip's alternate BOB Yak trailer, it'll be seeing more time behind my recumbent. It wasn't designed to deal with a 20" tow wheel, but its geometry works vastly better with the 'bent's smaller wheel than the Burley's does. That's okay, because the Burley is the hands-down better choice for use behind either of my upright bikes. Chip now officially 'needs' not one, but two chariots :D.

Since the Burley got a new towing yoke, I needed to transfer my improvised mud guard to the new yoke. It's...way cleaner than the rest of the trailer 😁. After ~3-5k mi over lots of dirt, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. The trailer wears dirt well.

I'd hoped for a road test, but wasn't able to put one together. Hopefully tomorrow.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 · (Edited)
^^ I'm a fan of the mags. Big time. I hope this iteration of the build turns out well. I'm liking the looks of it so far.
Thanks.....main question now is if a narrow 10 spd chain is going to make friends with that crankset and how 8spd mtb shifters act with 10 spd road cassette. Throw it all together and see what happens........it's all shimano so it should be OK, lol (no money has been placed on this bet)

Trust will have to be established with the mags.....not intending this bike experience much craziness tho.....they should be fine for what riding this bike will see.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,676 Posts
The guys at work shake their heads because even mid job I can’t handle dirty work benches. Tools needed organised and job in progress. Clean as one goes and clean all the parts especially those not being replaced. Treat every bike like a limited edition one off custom build.
View attachment 53734
Not my bike but I replaced a cassette as if it was my own.

Attachments

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 · (Edited)
So it turns out I have 2 105 rr derailleurs. 1 is short cage and 1 seems to be a bit longer cage. The 10 spd road cassette I removed 2 cogs from is going to end up being 12/27 with red spacers added to inboard side to keep chain and fr der cage farther away from tire. So here's transmission....shimano c50 touring crankset 48/38/28, shimano UN52 bottom bracket, suntour front derailleur, kmc xsp 10 spd chain, 105 cassette, 105 rr der. Pushed set screws on derailleurs to be able to actually go ride it and it did not complain, was smooth pedaling and no chain jumping like the mix match would be problem. Not concerned about brakes working cuz they will. Next hurdle will be if stx-rc rapidfire shifters play nice with the rest of it.....if I have enough cable housing to cable it all up. Test ride was good. Mags felt fine and bike handled real nice. My spare parts are gonna be down to reasonable level after this. Won't have any more whole bikes laying around in pieces in boxes.......which means the next build will be all fresh new stuff.....wait, lemme finish this one first, lol...

drivetrain pic...
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Crankset Bicycle frame

181 - 200 of 217 Posts