Two Spoke Forums banner
201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,676 Posts
So it turns out I have 2 105 rr derailleurs. 1 is short cage and 1 seems to be a bit longer cage. The 10 spd road cassette I removed 2 cogs from is going to end up being 12/27 with red spacers added to inboard side to keep chain and fr der cage farther away from tire. So here's transmission....shimano c50 touring crankset 48/38/28, shimano UN52 bottom bracket, suntour front derailleur, kmc xsp 10 spd chain, 105 cassette, 105 rr der. Pushed set screws on derailleurs to be able to actually go ride it and it did not complain, was smooth pedaling and no chain jumping like the mix match would be problem. Not concerned about brakes working cuz they will. Next hurdle will be if stx-rc rapidfire shifters play nice with the rest of it.....if I have enough cable housing to cable it all up. Test ride was good. Mags felt fine and bike handled real nice. My spare parts are gonna be down to reasonable level after this. Won't have any more whole bikes laying around in pieces in boxes.......which means the next build will be all fresh new stuff.....wait, lemme finish this one first, lol...

drivetrain pic...
View attachment 53737
That’s looking nice!

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
thanks, just gonna be a go get the mail or short ride around the lake thing or leisure ride with granddaughters til they can go more than 10 minutes. Gonna be needin some cable housing and housing ends. Only enough to do front brake for now. Replaced 11t cog in cassette with 12t. all smooth now...not sure if sideplates of chain were hitting retainer cap or somethin up with the teeth on that cog. 48/12 is more than this bike will need so leaving it alone.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 · (Edited)
Found out that my working stx-rc 8spd shifter pods will bolt right up to some xt 7spd brake lever shifter combos. The 7spd pods weren't working and noticed the 8spd pods bolted to the bar mount same way 7spd pods bolted to the lever on xt units. Not a perfect fit but certainly functional. The xt levers will definitely be better than the promax ones.......tinker tinker

Bicycle Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Tire

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
It's a small thing, but before heading out with Canine Companion Chip today, I attached a 2nd Mucky Nutz mud guard to the towing yoke. The first covers the top of the yoke and protects Chip's face from debris off the rear wheel. The 2nd will do the same for the lower part of the towing yoke. Though that wouldn't have changed anything with my recent warranty repair, the qr channel seems to get more than its share of debris.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
I still find it amusing to have an app on my fon that listens to the sound the belt makes when you thwunk it to tell if it is within acceptable range of tightness.......

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
went with braided carbon housing with black silver mix for the red bike....

Dress shirt Textile Wood Basket Serveware

also...probably going with silver deore levers and putting shifters back how they were......and most likely some better calipers like avid bb5's......

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,584 Posts
I still find it amusing to have an app on my fon that listens to the sound the belt makes when you thwunk it to tell if it is within acceptable range of tightness.......
I need to order the gates tension tool see how accurate it is. I’ve heard mixed reviews.

Reactions: SprocketGirl

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,584 Posts
It’s in the 30s here in BFE Ohio so I wanted to see how the pogies fit on the Jones bars. Seems fairly good. Won’t go very far up the wrists but the fingers are all I care about. (insert lame GoT meme about ‘winter is coming’ here).
White Black Helmet Camera accessory Headgear

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 · (Edited)
Welp, settled on the deore lever and original stx-rc shifter setup...
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar

.....and have 3 caliper 6 rotor combo package en route.....that matches 1 stray caliper I have so I'll have a spare fr/rr caliper/rotor bkup set. That just leaves waiting on cabling and brake hardware to show, snippity doo dah on housing and call it done.....then ride it.

(Red cable housing is temp just for test rides)

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Today I installed a new Kenda Kwest 16x1.5" tire on my BOB Yak bike trailer. This has become canine companion Chip's recumbent trailer now that his primary ride, a Burley Coho XC, has been repaired. The latter is way better behind either of my upright bikes, but the BOB seems to match the recumbent, a Sun X1-SX, much better than the Burley. Neither trailer was designed to be towed by a bike with a 20" rear wheel or used with live cargo, so I'm learning as I go.

After a recent tire problem which resulted from a bad air pressure gauge, my recumbent is wearing a set of 100psi Kenda Kwest tires. Now, the Yak trailer has a matching Kwest. I have a thing for tires which match :oops:. It's not so bad when the trailer bounces between bikes, but as this one will now be the 'bent trailer, it seemed only right to shoe it to match 😊.
Bicycle Cloud Wheel Sky Tire
Road test of the new rubber. First introduction to dirt. It rolled beautifully whether over pavement or dirt. Great day.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts