Two Spoke Forums banner
241 - 260 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
@rola643 Hope you are doing good. I saw that you are the one person on this forum who has 21,565 posts. It means you have great knowledge about mountain biking. @rola643 I am new to this community and also new to mountain biking. I want to buy mtb elbow pads and mtb helmet Can you guide me from where I can buy elbow pads at an affordable price?
Waiting for your response.
Anyone can share their knowledge?

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Look on ebay....look for seller abaxo. He usually has best price with free shipping. Other than that just search on mtb elbow pads with browser and go where it takes you. Might even start out at Academy or walmart for something like that for general riding and see where it goes. not sure of specifics of level or type of riding intended so not sure how heavy duty of ones would be suitable. xc, freeride/ park, downhill would have all be slightly different for specific type of riding I would think. I personally don't ride with them but probably should in some cases. Gloves helmet shorts shoes shirt and glasses is about all I use most of the time. Camelbak always....even on road/gravel/greenbelt rides.

btw, post count is more indicative of how long someone has been on a forum and/or how often they post......could mean anything.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
All I can tell you is what works for me. I don't know what will work for you. We are all different. For helmets and pads, I find it valuable to go somewhere and try a few pieces on. The Internet can be cheaper, but there's a lot to be said for a professional's knowledge and the ability to try different manufacturers' offerings to see how they feel. Something that fits me perfectly may be a total fail for you, and vice versa.

What kind of cycling are you interested in that requires this kind of padding?

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Dusted off this ignored 20 yr old bit of fs history, aired up tires, aired up pos/neg ends of fork, aired up rr shock and spun up some chain lube. 2.1s on this thing just look tiny. Rides better than new.....2002 Giant NRS xtc Pro

Tire Wheel Bicycle Land vehicle Bicycle wheel
Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset
Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Bicycle wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
Today I took my touring bike to the LBS. I recently had a new cassette and RD installed, necessitating a switch from my grip shift to a thumb shifter. Lots of trouble, but worth it to go from an 11-34 to a 12-46 cassette.

Long ago, my first MTB was equipped with thumb shifters. I loved 'em then. Several rides with the thumb shifter operating the RD convinced me that I love 'em now. Indeed, it's time to go back to thumb shifters. Thus the touring bike went back in for the swap. They are already seeing an increase in repair and refit business for the summer. Something about strings of 50+* days through the middle winter, I imagine.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
Today Mrs. Newleaf and I picked up my recumbent and Mrs. Newleaf's fatbike from the LBS. We'll call it a semi-fail. The fat bike was supposed to go from 7 to 9 speeds and a 12-28 cassette to a 12-46. My recumbent was supposed to lose its grip shift in favor of thumb shift, which necessitated a new derailleur. I took them in before we headed out of state for a trip.

Unfortunately, some miscommunication seems to have occurred: when we arrived at the shop and the bikes were wheeled out, it was my recumbent which went from 8 to 9 speeds, from a 12-32 to a 12-46 cassette. That thing already climbed like a mountain goat. I'm happy to have an extra gear, but fear the 46 tooth may be overkill on a 20" wheel. On the other hand, the bike's long wheelbase means that now if it's paved and I can't climb it, it's only because the path has gone outright vertical ;).

Mrs. Newleaf's fat bike went from a 12-28 to a 12-32 cassette, but stayed 7-speed. Turns out, when they emailed me about the 9-speed drive train, they referenced the fat bike while actually meaning to discuss the recumbent. The fat bike's hub design complicates the whole 7-to-9 speed transition. I'm happy enough with the bike's new cassette, if annoyed that its killer new drive train ended up on my 'bent.
Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycle hub Bicycle wheel rim
That climbing monster 12-46 cassette looks a little odd on my 700c touring bike. In a 20" recumbent wheel, it's just...

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Yea.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
The drive train above was intended for this bike. Fortunately, the new cassette it actually received helped to shorten its too tall gearing.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
^^ Welcome! Sorry to hear of your separation from your bike, but better for the shop find the bad wheel than to discover it yourself, trailside. I hope you get it back soon. What do you ride? Any pics?

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
532 Posts
The front wheel I found on sale then swapped out the nipples to purple. I had a different rear wheel then upgraded to the one that's on there now. Most of this build came off of another one I had gotten rid of. It was a parts box build that I kept buying nicer and nicer stuff for and by the time I was no longer interested in the bike the parts were too nice and no one wanted to pay so I cheaped it out and kept all the nice stuff for the next one which was this. Glad I did too cuz this thing is way radder. lol. I finally quit being lazy and put the other side on and swapped the headset...
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
I know how bikes suddenly appear due to most of the parts laying around in boxes from upgrading things on other bikes.........scraped together enough stuff on hand to squeeze out last 2 builds with minimal purchases and whittle down the amount of stuff hiding out not having a purpose.

241 - 260 of 264 Posts