Two Spoke Forums banner
261 - 280 of 371 Posts

·
tall old member
1,609 Posts
I know how bikes suddenly appear due to most of the parts laying around in boxes from upgrading things on other bikes.........scraped together enough stuff on hand to squeeze out last 2 builds with minimal purchases and whittle down the amount of stuff hiding out not having a purpose.
I just added to the extra stuff laying around. I took my deceased wife’s bike to the LBS to get a tune up and a new front fork. We removed the motorized wheel and battery and went back to the original wheel. Got both wheels trued and a new shifter cable. They made the bike look like new. I’m taking the bike to Ohio so my girlfriend and I can ride the paved bike trail that is near her house. She hasn’t ridden a bike in years but is physically fit. I think she will do fine.
I’m waiting on a trailer hitch I ordered for the CRV I just bought after my Honda Pilot died after only 170 sum thousand miles. I expected a lot more miles from it. My mechanic talked me out of getting a new motor for it.
I ordered a roof rack for hauling kayaks the same time I ordered the trailer hitch. The roof rack came in yesterday and I installed it today. It’s going to be a tight fit getting both bikes inside the CRV but I think I can do it until I get my hitch.

·
Mom's Taxi
5,751 Posts
My friend's Pilot has over 200,000 miles on it. It needs a new transmission. I think the mechanic told him the vehicle became valuable enough in the last year to replace the transmission.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 · (Edited)
OK, 8 yrs of use and abuse on the original set of Racing Ralphs is probably enough. Had a coupla sketchy incidents in corners and the climbing performance has become noticeably degraded. Been sittin on a set of skins now for most a yr, dunno would have to check recent purchase thread, lol. Anyway, going back with same 29x2.25 size so threw on some more Schwalbes with meaty tread and mixed compounds. Front is Magic Mary Addix Orange compond which is one step softer than the Addix Blue compound of the Nobby Nic out back. Ralphs are almost slicks in comparison. Kudos to them for how long they lasted and how good they were still working without any torn lugs after a lot of rocky singletrack, pavement and gravelly madness. It's why I went with the new ones I did. Pics......

Tire Bicycle Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle tire
Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Light

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Neighbors better behave or their landscaping could mysteriously get all tilled up somehow.....i'm the only one with a ring doorbell soooooo.........

tired of the squalling disc pads on it too so ordered me up a full set of the hardheaded ram pads like went on the stache7........stealth mode activated ftw.....
Azure Rectangle Font Material property Electric blue

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,271 Posts
Been working on this over the week as the parts have been rolling in. I actually ordered the stem i'm going to run this morning so looking forward to that soon. Next is to track down the cranks I actually want.
View attachment 54706
That is an actual original mini-Cooper, I assume? If my wife wouldn't kill me I'd make an offer .....

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,121 Posts
Today I finally removed my 3rd shifter. You know, the one that wasn't connected to anything but still riding around like it was :D. Background: I recently went from GripShift to thumb shifters. Both the thumb shifters were mounted on one side, leaving a dead grip shift on the other.

This was all per my instructions: I have spent a lot of time experimenting with the thumb shifters' position and relative orientation and didn't want to re-wrap my handle bars until I had a good handle on just where and how the new stuff all fit together. In the mean time, the one GripShifter just kinda came along for the ride.

Turns out I have a bit of pride, or maybe shame, after all: with the season's first organized ride quickly approaching, I realized that whether I am long term happy with my shifters' position or not, it was time to lose the extra shifter and re-wrap my handlebars. All part of the plan, only it was supposed to happen in mid-May. At the latest. I have a thing about taking untested equipment into battle. It's always to be avoided, unless it can't be.

Still, the bike looks better with one fewer shifters and freshened bar tape. Now I just need to break out some brushes and the Bike Wash.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Hammered the AnthemX around the area to test out the new skins and pads.....woohoo, what a blast. Anyway, big plug for these Hardheaded Ram disc pads. This is my 2nd set and they are way better than any other pads I have had or tried. They are the strong silent type which is just what you want. They improved my braking on the Stache7 with plus size 29er tires amazingly. Have been fighting coupla squally sets of shimano pads of different types on my AnthemX til I couldn't take it any more and got the same blue set of downhill/mtb pads from HhR. $33 for set of 4 is a big bargain.....and made in America too. They have pads for everything and every genre. Fight brake noise no more! Gitcha some............

BONUS - comes with cool stickers......(like above by link)

Bicycle Wheel Bicycle wheel Crankset Bicycle frame
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

·
tall old member
1,609 Posts
Sorry, none taken at the time. Here's a belated one, post-ride.
View attachment 54837
Interesting bike. Lots of water bottle cages, do you do a lot of riding across the desert? I like that rear rack placement way back. My Lynskey came with a titanium rack mounted with the front of it way up under the saddle. It works for mounting panniers but not for putting stuff on top of the rack. What kind of touring do you do with that bike? A lot of different stuff on that bike. I wish I could find my way around this forum better. The old way I always clicked on new posts but I don’t see that option anymore. I end up clicking on threads that nobody has posted in for years.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,121 Posts
Interesting bike. Lots of water bottle cages, do you do a lot of riding across the desert? I like that rear rack placement way back. My Lynskey came with a titanium rack mounted with the front of it way up under the saddle. It works for mounting panniers but not for putting stuff on top of the rack. What kind of touring do you do with that bike? A lot of different stuff on that bike. I wish I could find my way around this forum better. The old way I always clicked on new posts but I don’t see that option anymore. I end up clicking on threads that nobody has posted in for years.
Thank you! Thus far, I've ridden it in a lot of places, but not too as many of those places as I'd like. All the water bottles allow me to ride up to a metric century without any external support at all. Depending on temperature, I can generally manage 70-85mi before I run out of water. Ditto food, so long as it's fairly small and calorie dense. I prefer never to run out of water, so I typically start looking for resupply somewhere around mi 55-65.

The rear rack is from a company called Axiom. It is a universal fit with options for multiple wheel sizes. I bought it in 2018 not long after I bought canine companion Chip's Burley Coho XC trailer. This rack does not flare at the base to clear disc rotors, so it does not interfere with the trailer's QR skewer attachment like the previous rack did. It also clears the rotor without issue.

The bike itself, a Novara Safari, is billed as an expedition bike, that being a touring bike built to play on gravel and mild singletrack in addition to pavement. I bought it new in 2012 and have enjoyed just over 20k miles on it to date. It is heavy, the trekking bars look funny, and even with bags installed, a remarkable number of people look at it and see an MTB(??). It repels most roadies while drawing fellow cycle tourists like flies to...sugar ;). It is exactly what I wanted when when I decided on a touring bike way back when.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,121 Posts
Today I adjusted my touring bike's brakes and changed the shifters' relative position again. Success. I thought of I12 and snapped a couple of pics after the road test. Nice thought, bad execution: my cockpit is a bit crowded and my choice of angles was poor. At least the adjustments themselves went well.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
still need to post the pics.....I ride bad angles, been a victim of bad angles and post pics with bad angles with pride, ignorance and shame all the time.......go for it. Summa my favorite pics include bad angles.

Forehead Nose Cheek Eyebrow Mouth

This isn't one of them but see?

261 - 280 of 371 Posts