Two Spoke Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Old, fat, and slow
860 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about the fire at that Specialized dealership.

(I wonder what the folks at Homeland Security will do with that post?)

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I am really sorry to hear about the fire at that Specialized dealership.

(I wonder what the folks at Homeland Security will do with that post?)
Kinda related to this;

There’s a true story about a man from California frustrated with someone from another western state over something I’ve long since forgotten.
He said this over the phone and it landed him in legal pooh pooh.

“I know a couple of Mexicans that’ll burn your place to the ground for fifty bucks.”

In jest, i have quoted that dozens of times since hearing it.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
that's where the supernova is on my scott subspeed 10

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
I believe i would like the light mounted lower.
Have you ridden at night with it there yet?
What was it like?
FWIW, my dynamo powered light mounts at the front of my front rack. I like it there much better than I liked the dual battery powered lights which attached mid way up the arms of my fork. Brightness was roughly comparable, but the lower mounting position made for oddly distracting shadows. I'm curious how the fender mounted light works out.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
Not yet. I’m sure it will be fine though.

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Today I adjusted the brakes on my touring bike and prepped my B.O.B. trailer to do something more than hang forlornly in the shed. I found it second hand and missing parts a few years back and made the obtainment of replacements much more complicated than it needed to be. It hit the back burner and stayed there until recently. Now I have the required parts on back order and turned to the trailer itself. Cleaned it up a bit, replaced the tire and rim tape, installed the fender, and greased the bolts. No telling when the back ordered parts will arrive, but when they do, it's ready for a test ride.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Another interesting accessory I keep talking myself into and out of buying .... it sure looks good.
Thank you! I look forward to finding out how it pulls. Overall, I think my Burley Coho XC has a better design, but it is also much newer and a bit more than $100 more pricey (MSRP for a new example of each). Both attach to the rear axle via a special QR skewer. Both have available dry bags. The Coho has a cool multi position yoke which allows it to attach to a range of axle widths and tire sizes while the BOB trailer requires a whole different yoke to attach to 26" vs. 700c wheels.

Both offer support for through axles and/or bolt ons. The BOB offers an add on rear rack while the Burley has an integrated load bearing platform over the rear wheel with the option to buy add on pannier mounts. The mounts appear to be sized so as to encourage the purchase of Burley panniers. I can't speak to the BOB's rack or pannier setup as I have not pulled the trigger on that as yet. Burley's rack mounts and panniers appear to be of good quality. I haven't gone beyond test mounting the panniers as yet.

Finally, pics notwithstanding, neither trailer was designed or intended to attach to a 'bent with a 20" rear wheel. The Burley loses a good bit of clearance in the doing, but otherwise pulls fine. I just have to be careful of speed bumps, which it no longer clears. The BOB appears to have less clearance to begin with, implying a bit more in the way of stability, a bit less less off road functionality. I don't see a problem when it comes to towing it with a 26" or 700c bike. The Burley comes with a 16x2.125 or x1.75 tire but offers an optional replacement wheel with a 3" wide tire for use with fat tire bikes. The BOB trailer came with a 16x1.5" tire.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Great ..... but I am not grateful. Now I have to de even more research. :D
(You win another customer service award.)
Sorry 'bout the research. Funny how more info often just raises more questions :unsure:.

On the 'more info' note, it's worth mentioning that my BOB trailer is the 'Yak' model, which is a hard tail. They also offer the 'Ibex' which includes a shock. The Burley Coho is only available with suspension. Both trailers' shocks are adjustable. The Coho bounces around a bit when run empty, but smooths out with Chip's 21lbs inside. If you have any questions or would like more photos of either trailer, feel free to reach out. I have towed the Coho, mostly with Chip as the cargo, for something like 2,500mi. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I like the looks and construction of the Yak a lot, but have never pulled it (yet). and thus can't comment.

·
tall old member
1,325 Posts
Sorry 'bout the research. Funny how more info often just raises more questions :unsure:.

On the 'more info' note, it's worth mentioning that my BOB trailer is the 'Yak' model, which is a hard tail. They also offer the 'Ibex' which includes a shock. The Burley Coho is only available with suspension. Both trailers' shocks are adjustable. The Coho bounces around a bit when run empty, but smooths out with Chip's 21lbs inside. If you have any questions or would like more photos of either trailer, feel free to reach out. I have towed the Coho, mostly with Chip as the cargo, for something like 2,500mi. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I like the looks and construction of the Yak a lot, but have never pulled it (yet). and thus can't comment.
I was wondering how I would use the bob now that my new touring bike had thru axles. I might just be old enough now to do credit card touring and won’t need the trailer. I still have the 520 so I can ride it if I want to do a lot of camping. Trying to get myself healthy enough to ride.

·
Old, fat, and slow
860 Posts
That's where I am at. No point in planning my next big tour when 20 miles around the neighborhood leaves me exhausted.

The trailer would be good for around-town stuff when I wanted to buy stuff too big or too bulky for the rack/panniers, or when I needed to bring a lot of photo gear plus some other stuff---put a big water-proof bin on the trailer and not have to worry.

Credit-card touring has a lot of positives. If a person lives in a suburbanized region camping is overcrowded campsites or guerrilla-camping, ands good sites are really hard to find---nothing good about having to explain to the officer that you aren't homeless, but were just "resting a minute"---in a sleeping bag, in a tent.

There are probably some national parks around---none I could reach with a fully loaded rig in my current condition.

Still plenty to pack---weather gear, spares, food, tools--and if a were credit-card touring I could bring a real camera and a couple lenses, which is actually a lot of weight. (I know people bring cameras on tour---but a body and a couple lenses and batteries and charger in padded bags is ten pounds (?) and a lot of bulk.

Of course the real issue is the 80 pounds of emergency rations I pack around my waistline. Wish I could put that in the trailer ... and leave it home. :D

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
20 miles around my hood leaves me exhausted.....no shame in that. Especially when there was yardwork, mending a fence from overnight storm, cleaning the filthy patio of debris and washing it down, putting real horns on xB in place of the moped ones it came with and pushing thru typical horseplay shenanigans during the ride......then I was hungry so grilled steak, sausage and pork burgers on the grill while bakin a potato and boiling some corn on the cob. I might even make a coupla more hours on the couch before passin out watchin tube. Ahhh, whata Saturday. Got my 20ft of curbside adorned with 4 murican flags all proudlike as well. Happy Memorial Day weekend y'al!!!! Indy and coca cola 600 manana, Mid 60s ride Monday morning and grilled rainbow trout. Have fun......

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Of course the real issue is the 80 pounds of emergency rations I pack around my waistline. Wish I could put that in the trailer ... and leave it home. :D
I have a donut that turns into a laptop when I sit down.......

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I'd have to go on one of those throw you out in the wilderness shows for a month to get down close to that.....or have covid again. That knocked about 25 off in a about 10 days....aka melted the donut. Kinda risky weight loss program tho. i12ride more to get there.....

41 - 60 of 77 Posts