Two Spoke Forums banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,366 Posts
Today I road tested the beach cruiser I built yesterday. Fun bike! I think she will enjoy it, though sadly, it'll have to visit the LBS to have the wheels trued before the brakes can be adjusted correctly. At present they work, but not as well as I'd like.

Playing with this one inspired me to get out the touring bike and recumbent, both of which needed minor adjustments to the rear derailleurs. It's good to have a repair stand and some basic skills. Good day.

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
You know I approve of these actions.......my aka username is ilike2build. Actually it was my first one since if you build it you can ride.......or.......if you give someone a bike they'll ride for a while but if they learn to wrench, they'll ride for life.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,366 Posts
You know I approve of these actions.......my aka username is ilike2build. Actually it was my first one since if you build it you can ride.......or.......if you give someone a bike they'll ride for a while but if they learn to wrench, they'll ride for life.
Thanks, i12! I am a ways behind you in terms of bike building experience, but I enjoy wrenching on bikes and love helping others to get out on the trail.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,366 Posts
Today I worked not on my bike, but on canine companion Chip's bike towed trailer. Yesterday I noticed that its landing gear was not recovering evenly against the trailer's body after being deployed. Today I flipped it over before heading out. Found that it seems to have thrown a nut at some point, allowing the unsecured bolt on one side to work itself free. Annoying, but it was actually good news. I thought maybe I'd damaged it crossing some railroad tracks in a place lacking a formal ride-over crossing. I rustled up a new nut, bolt, and some washers and had no trouble correcting the problem.

·
tall old member
1,333 Posts
I didn’t do anything to my bike but I ordered a Garmin 530 for it. I ordered it yesterday, they said it shipped this morning and will be delivered tomorrow morning. The Garmin site dropped the price $50.00 today. Not on mine, I already paid full price.
I also ordered a smaller size bike shorts and jersey from Aerotech designs in Pittsburgh. They are 100% made in United States. They tell where their thread is made, where the material is made and they stitch it all together in Pittsburgh. Hopefully I’ll be back in my regular size by next year.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,366 Posts
Today I installed one of my two new TRP floating rotors and the Spyke caliper to go with it on my touring bike. I adjusted everything and got it ready for a road test. Unfortunately, my dynamo hub up front uses center lock vs. the 6 bolt attachment on the rear. The rotors I bought are only available in 6 bolt. I have a center lock adapter, but not the special lockring tool needed to make the rotor swap. Make that tools, since the old rotor uses one size lockring, the adapter, the other.

I'll have to either order the lockring tools or run the wheel into the LBS. Probably the latter given my impatience, but we'll see. I'll install the new front brake as soon as I'm able to get the new rotor swapped in. In the mean time there's nothing wrong with the existing gear, except that it doesn't match the new stuff.

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
What have I done?? Taken my bike to the shop. I've had an issue with being able to keep my headset tight over the last year. It was so bad the last ride i did I was honestly worried about getting home!

I got a call yesterday, after dropping my bike off to the shop where I bought it, and found out my front fork is cracked and the bearing in the bottom of the steer tube has possibly to much lateral movement, The thing that sucks is the shop I bought it through is no longer a Giant dealer and my only options are an hour and a 1/2 drive away up in Richmond or an hour drive down to Newport News. I called both shops yesterday and got no answer from either which honestly REALLY pisses me off.

I emailed the closer of the two and explained what's going on and I'm currently waiting a response from them. ironically the one in Richmond ended up calling me back later in the evening. Seemed like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy over the phone.

Feels like the season on that bike is pretty much over. I have an older TCR up on my trainer. Guess it's time to put some different shoes on her and ride for now :D

Reactions: Merlincustom

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Ugghhh!!
So sorry to hear this rola.
I really do hope your trainer is up to the task of ripping up the roads again.
When are you going to start that conversation?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oooooo! Hopefully they can get this remedied soon. I have often wondered the value of a traveling bike mechanic?? I can do almost all things for the most part but how do you price out such and what is the demand? Buy a Sprinter stand up van and customize to hold all tools and parts.

I see an entrepreneurial franchise here possibly. Yes it would be a stretch but with so many crazy rules with the C-word to have a bike mechanic come to you would be a great idea!

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
1,883 Posts
What have I done?? Taken my bike to the shop. I've had an issue with being able to keep my headset tight over the last year. It was so bad the last ride i did I was honestly worried about getting home!

I got a call yesterday, after dropping my bike off to the shop where I bought it, and found out my front fork is cracked and the bearing in the bottom of the steer tube has possibly to much lateral movement, The thing that sucks is the shop I bought it through is no longer a Giant dealer and my only options are an hour and a 1/2 drive away up in Richmond or an hour drive down to Newport News. I called both shops yesterday and got no answer from either which honestly REALLY pisses me off.

I emailed the closer of the two and explained what's going on and I'm currently waiting a response from them. ironically the one in Richmond ended up calling me back later in the evening. Seemed like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy over the phone.

Feels like the season on that bike is pretty much over. I have an older TCR up on my trainer. Guess it's time to put some different shoes on her and ride for now :D View attachment 53107
Is the fork under warranty?

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
Is the fork under warranty?
I'm hoping so. I have to pick it up from the shop it's at now and take it to another that is a Giant dealer and find out.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts