Two Spoke Forums banner
101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
I finally got it to a Giant dealer...now the wait begins.

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
Reactions: Dos_Ruedas

·
1,906 Posts
In the absence of impact, a carbon fork really shouldn't fail, especially one with a carbon steerer. I can imagine a steel steerer over time corroding possibly. That said, I got cold feet about my Look HSC, with a carbon steerer, after about 16 years. I had crashed the bike a few times, never a direct frontal impact, and whenever I would service the headset I'd look at it, and it always looked good, but I was a little mental about it just failing one day so I replaced it with a Wound Up. Probably a waste of money but how do you price peace of mind?

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
It's a small thing, but I replaced the landing gear foot on canine companion Chip's trailer. Also found the failed foot out on the trail, at the unimproved railroad crossing where I thought it had probably come off. I don't like littering and was happy to find and properly dispose of it. After a couple of pics, of course.
Note the tape added to reinforce the glue I'd hoped to use for a temporary repair. It lasted a couple of days, during which I forgot to order a replacement.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Road surface Asphalt
A truly complicated repair :D.

All set! Though this is the 3rd replacement foot, they have so far only failed on the LH (as pictured) side. Perhaps something to do with using my foot on that side to deploy the landing gear at stops.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Today I took the Buddy Bike and Kidz Tandem to Dyers Park in West Palm Beach, FL. I found a perfect loop for riding these bikes with kids with special needs and need to plan a ride when it gets cooler. I found a perfect spot for taking some promo photos. I checked out the accessories for the Kidz Tandem (supportive seat and cargo/doggie basket). Next time I will bring my dog! I got a little frustrated with a couple parts but once I took my time and a deep breath, I was able to work everything out. I ended with a ride on my e-bike prototype equipped with a Bafang mid-drive system. I have gone over 20 miles so far and have barely used any battery power. I'm trying to see how many miles I will get out of a full charge. It was a very full bike day!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
A bit of play with the new to me Specialized Rock Hopper Comp I picked up yesterday: removed and lubed the pedals, seat post, and stem. Reset the latter to a position below the maximum safe height. Cleaned and lubed the brakes' mounting posts and adjusted the front brake pads. In back the u-brakes are reinstalled and moving much more freely on their properly lubed mounting posts, awaiting replacement cables and housing.

It's great to have the resources to accomplish such tasks at home, but I must admit to really missing the local bike collective with its Park work stands, complete tool sets, and the peace of mind engendered by on-demand expert advice. The shop still exists, but Covid has stopped all public access for now. I've never played with u-brakes before and narrowly avoided breaking parts I can't easily replace. These particular u-brakes are naturally different from the ones to be found in instructional videos on y-tube and the Park websites. More to come.

·
tall old member
1,361 Posts
Oooooo! Hopefully they can get this remedied soon. I have often wondered the value of a traveling bike mechanic?? I can do almost all things for the most part but how do you price out such and what is the demand? Buy a Sprinter stand up van and customize to hold all tools and parts.

I see an entrepreneurial franchise here possibly. Yes it would be a stretch but with so many crazy rules with the C-word to have a bike mechanic come to you would be a great idea!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Today I installed the Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires which I found after the first place I tried fell through. They went on the folding MTB in place of the existing Kenda Kobras. They have served well and have some tread left, but the rear has suffered casing damage.
Tire Wheel Bicycle Land vehicle Bicycle wheel
Retirement time for this tire!

Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Ready to roll!

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
Changed the front pads on my Fuji .... Spyre SLC cable-actuated discs. Was so easy it was almost scary---"I have got to be missing something. It can't be done already. Nothing went wrong!"

I shopped for pads and found that most places charged $20-$30 per pair .... then I found an old thread on some other site which recommended TruckerCo ..... four pads, $16. Of course, I haven't yet tried them ..... if I don't post later today .... Don't buy TruckerCo pads.

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
So .... brake pads installed, I headed out for a short, hot ride .... a little shorter than I had anticipated.

A couple miles out I heard a clicking, which I figured was the new brakes needed a barrel-adjuster spin or two. Fronts were fine, but I had also tightened the rears (instead of changing the pads---I use the rears a lot less) so I loosened up the rears,. Rode a short while noise got worse, loosened some more .... tried to track the noise to my pedal stroke to figure what it was but it wasn't cooperating (as bicycle noises often won't ... )

Finally pulled over for a third time, hopped off, did a more complete inspection .... and saw a pair of golf-ball sized bubbles in my rear sidewall. I couldn't figure the noise frequency because they were at odd intervals (not being decent enough to space themselves 180 degrees.)

As an oddity I had brought my phone with me, so I decided to snap a couple pics to show you guys. While I was switching the phone to "camera," the tire blew.

Turns out my CF rim had a section which looked like knapped obsidian---like someone had chipped at it with a rock to make a sharp edge--sharp enough to cut through the sidewall and create a bubble it seems (no idea why there were two bubbles, though.)

In any case .... I used a knife to try to flatten the worst edges, booted the tire with multiple wrappings of Tyvec envelope, installed a spare tube, and rode home a 4 mph on half air pressure and a lot of hope.

Spent the afternoon and part of the evening wrestling with a tubeless set-up I had started on another wheel---couldn't get it to hold air, but also couldn't pry the tire off the rim--sealant had Really sealed where I didn't need it to I guess. Surrendered, re-attacked by surprise early in the morning and used the last of my sealant to hopefully get the thing to hold air so I can finally go out and bed my new brakes , ... or die trying. Still no clue if the bargain-basement pads are terrible or not.

I figure I can take the CF rim, make forms out of greased cardboard, and pour epoxy into the resulting channel and shape it with a file to fill in the chipped section of the rim. That might work---or that might be what kills me if the cheap brakes don't. I sure don't want to have to buy a new wheel .... I am not rich like some of you Roval-riders :LOL:

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
richer than me.....i aint gotz no cf hoops

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
You have what ... 18 bikes? 24?

The wheels cost me like $330 online ....... I was going to build an aero bike but decided i didn't need one. So I bought all the parts except the frame .... might as well use them.

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
Got my bike back yesterday and amazingly enough the fork was paint matched exactly as it should be. I was shocked but happy. Had a painter ready to paint it for me. I just knew I was gonna get some odd colored fork that didn't match

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
Finally, some happy news on Two Spoke. Thank you.

But seriously .... no pics? :D
Been super busy. Had to go to a family birthday party that was outdoors with a 107* heat index yesterday...yea not fun. Picking up the bike before the shop closed was my way out of that. By the time I got home it had started to storm but the temps had dropped to 77*. HUGE and pretty quick drop in temps. We had some pretty amazing lightening in the evening. Love to watch it as long as I'm not the schmuck on call :D

When I got home I was out in the shop trying to finish some stuff up while it stormed, had a beer and called it day with no pics :D

Soooo, how was that for an uber long way of saying, nope, no pics :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
Finally, some happy news on Two Spoke. Thank you.

But seriously .... no pics? :D
Ok...in a smal streak of motivation, new fork, new chain, lubed, washed and waxed :D

101 - 120 of 148 Posts