Two Spoke Forums banner
121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Nothing..........to any of them.......oh, have ridden a few of them - no wrenching no washing no lubing.

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
So I fiannly rode my bike with the new fork today. Knew it would hurt a little just beacuse it's been so long....and it did :D

BUT:
So interesting fact. I’ve never been able to ride my current Giant no handed. As soon as I let go of the bars it would dart in one direction or another. I always attributed it to the headset being to tight or brake cables or even the fact my left leg is slightly shorter and I guess that threw me off balance somehow. So I finally got out and rode this morning ( dreaded it cuz I knew it was gonna hurt a bit after being off the bike so long) and I got tired and reached for a bottle of water and wanted to sit up for a minute which has AWAYS meant keeping one hand on the bars. Today that issue does not exist, I rode for a mile no handed just make sure. Makes me wonder about the fork on that bike all along….it’s the ONLY thing that has changed. Odd hu?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
That is strange indeed.

I don’t like riding no hands. That’s JUST when I’ll hit a hole, or gravel, or wind, or squirrel, or ??

I watch people do it and it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I have several bikes that I am comfortable riding no handed here and there to give wrists and hands a break and stretch arms and shoulders but that'd be for a minute while no shenanigans need to happen......so, no no hands much, lol. I ride in a lot of "shenanigans required" zones. Must follow the rules 😉

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
So I finally rode my bike with the new fork today. Knew it would hurt a little just because it's been so long....and it did :D

BUT:
So interesting fact. I’ve never been able to ride my current Giant no handed. As soon as I let go of the bars it would dart in one direction or another. I always attributed it to the headset being to tight or brake cables or even the fact my left leg is slightly shorter and I guess that threw me off balance somehow. So I finally got out and rode this morning ( dreaded it cuz I knew it was gonna hurt a bit after being off the bike so long) and I got tired and reached for a bottle of water and wanted to sit up for a minute which has AWAYS meant keeping one hand on the bars. Today that issue does not exist, I rode for a mile no handed just make sure. Makes me wonder about the fork on that bike all along….it’s the ONLY thing that has changed. Odd hu?
Does the new fork have different caster geometry? It doesn't take much to change handling characteristics.

Reactions: rola643

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
The wheel is straight now....................the other fork was lopsided.....woohoo less tire wear!

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
Does the new fork have different caster geometry? It doesn't take much to change handling characteristics.
I'm going to have to guess no. It's a direct factory replacement including paint which absolutely shocked me.

·
1,906 Posts
Hard to say exactly. The headset adjustment is also different after the new fork was installed, so that is a change as well. If the headset is too tight it can actually bind a bit when the bars are on center, and there's no way you could have ridden no hands, but were it that bad you would have known it. Always something.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Not bikes, but bike trailers. I installed a mud guard on canine companion Chip's trailer. Full fenders on the tow bikes help, but I've noticed a steady build up of little bits of dirt and gravel inside the trailer, presumably transferred from the rear wheel.

Hopefully this will keep the debris out.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Some years back, I got a smoking deal on a mostly complete BOB Yak trailer. Life happened and the trailer hung sadly from a hook in the garage awaiting parts for longer than it should have. By the time I finally ordered the parts I needed, the pandemic was on and the parts were back ordered.

Yesterday they were delivered! Today I towed the trailer around the back yard for the first time.
The fender is rubbing for reasons I've yet to determine, but the trailer connects to the bike and pulls like a dream. I'll figure out the fender soon enough.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Far too boring for photographs, I changed from winter tires to summer tires (recall, i just got a rear wheel a few weeks back), Be greased and scrubbed the chain washed and lubricated, washed the bike, change the angle of the Computer, and made a list of needed bike related purchases.

Nothing like a really clean bike to make me smile……other than riding that really clean bike.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,449 Posts
Today I get out the 'bent for a ride only to find a flat tire. Nasty one: tread blew out in a 2" section toward the middle of the tread on the rear. That would really have sucked had it happened at speed somewhere. Fortunately, it failed in the shed at some point since Wednesday when I last rode that bike.

I could have handled a bad tube, but not that and a wrecked tire. I headed out to the LBSs to see what I could find. Within minutes of my arrival by automobile, the skies opened up and it began to rain. By the time I emerged with no tire and a couple of things I hadn't been looking for, rain was falling hard, accompanied by plenty of lightning. I try to avoid lightning when I can, and Chip hates the rain. The blowout could have come at a worse time.

I could also have left the 'bent inside. Not out on the patio where it go soaked for no good reason. Oh well. I found the tire I needed at the 4th LBS and purchased it solely based on size and availability. I also ordered a like model in 16x1.5" because I prefer matching tires. Quite a lot.

By the time I returned home, the rain was over and I was able to swap the tire and tube quickly. Indeed, I finished just in time for the rain to resume. If not for the accompanying lightning, I'd leave Chip and enjoy a wet ride/road test.

Put a fork in this tire, it's done. Tire lever included for scale.

·
Maturity Challenged
1,148 Posts
tread blew out in a 2" section toward the middle of the tread on the rear. Fortunately, it failed in the shed at some point since Wednesday when I last rode that bike.
Are you sure the air pressure gauge you use is registering correctly?

Reactions: newleaf150

·
Old, fat, and slow
944 Posts
^ Aren't you afraid of losing both aero efficiency and suffering excess road friction with the ultra-fatbike tires? They are so large I can actually see them with my naked eye.

Beautiful bike.... very silly, for me, but I can appreciate the style and the beauty. Love the fake woodgrain paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@rola643 Hope you are doing good. I saw that you are the one person on this forum who has 21,565 posts. It means you have great knowledge about mountain biking. @rola643 I am new to this community and also new to mountain biking. I want to buy mtb elbow pads Can you guide me from where I can buy elbow pads at an affordable price?
Waiting for your response.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts