Two Spoke Forums banner
161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Old, fat, and slow
987 Posts
This was the only bike I had between 1984 and 1999.
What a cheap play for pity. :D :D :D

Why is it painter AG2R colors?

And if those are current pictures .... how did you keep it in such amazing hspae. That looks showroom-new.

Also .... Pretty sure it didn't come with brifters .... ?? Those hoods almost fooled me .... very much pre-brifter aero=-hood design.

Very very pretty machine.

·
1,966 Posts
What a cheap play for pity. :D :D :D

Why is it painter AG2R colors?

And if those are current pictures .... how did you keep it in such amazing hspae. That looks showroom-new.

Also .... Pretty sure it didn't come with brifters .... ?? Those hoods almost fooled me .... very much pre-brifter aero=-hood design.

Very very pretty machine.
Good eye. Original paint was dark blue with white panels where the decals are. In 2009 I had Tom Kellogg re-spray it. I just liked espresso and light blue. Original drivetrain was downtube shifters. I liked the Simplex friction levers better than Campy so used those. I changed to Campy 8 speed indexed Ergopower in 1996. On the re-spray, the decals were thick so it needed 11 clear coats to bury them. It had little use after I got the Merlin in 1999. I rode it a bit more after the repaint, and I've had it on the trainer, but I want to start taking it out again. It's a bit of a tank. The headbadge is custom, after a Basso decal, sterling silver by Jennifer Green of www.headbadges.com.

Frame, fork, and stem are original.

·
tall old member
1,447 Posts
I’m trying another saddle again. A bit disappointed with the first ride yesterday. The saddle is hard and I don’t have much meat on my bones. It was cold and raining on my test ride so I didn’t go far. I have thirty days to decide if I want to keep it. It was insanely expensive. Has anyone else tried the bisaddle?
View attachment 53530

·
1,966 Posts
I’m trying another saddle again. A bit disappointed with the first ride yesterday. The saddle is hard and I don’t have much meat on my bones. It was cold and raining on my test ride so I didn’t go far. I have thirty days to decide if I want to keep it. It was insanely expensive. Has anyone else tried the bisaddle?
View attachment 53530
I think John V rode something like this and liked it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,686 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Changed batteries on rear (tail) light yesterday.
I have no photos to prove my effort tho.
Oh, what the heck, bike is just outside.
I'll walk out and shoot a pic, wait.

I'm back!
Welcome back! I like the looks of your ride. Any chance of more pics? Kudos for riding in snow. I look forward to getting some snow mileage in later this season myself. I hope your miles are happy and warm-ish 🙂.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
Today I finally replaced my Sun recumbent bike's Schwalbe Marathon front tire with a Kenda Kwest to match the rear. I also did a quick mock up and learned that my BOB Yak trailer with a 26" yoke looks much happier behind the 'bent's 20" rear wheel than its counterpart Burley Coho XC. Looks like I need another BOB qr skewer.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,538 Posts
More work on canine companion Chip's alternate chariot. First, I installed a mud guard on the trailer's tow yoke to help keep tire-slung muck and gravel out of Chip's face and the trailer's cargo space. That went fairly well. Then we went for a ride on which the trailer threw one of the 2 cotter pins which keep it securely attached to the bike. Time for more work on the trailer.

I had spare cotter pins and now understand why BOB trailers went to captive cotter pins where the pin is attached to the trailer by a rubber stalk. I just placed an order for BOB trailer stuff. Now I'll be placing another. In the mean time, how to 'capture' my own 'free' cotter pins?
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset Bicycle frame
Duct tape and zip ties, that's how 😁. Temporarily, at least.

Below, the mud guard. It's inverted relative to design, but this is an adaptive use and clearance was better this way. I've had good luck with a setup like this on my...err...Chip's Burley Coho XC 😜.
Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Note the duct tape on the trailer's vertical yoke arm. It attaches the remaining spare cotter pin to the trailer. Had I done this at the start of yesterday's ride, I would not have had to turn back early.

In general, I'm not a fan of making permanent repairs or modifications using duct tape. In this case, the cotter pin will likely remain as seen here and be joined by a twin on the other side. Perhaps that can be dressed up with some red duct tape 🤨. Further forward, my stylin' home built captive cotter pins will hopefully serve until I can get some factory made captive replacements ordered.

·
1,966 Posts
More work on canine companion Chip's alternate chariot. First, I installed a mud guard on the trailer's tow yoke to help keep tire-slung muck and gravel out of Chip's face and the trailer's cargo space. That went fairly well. Then we went for a ride on which the trailer threw one of the 2 cotter pins which keep it securely attached to the bike. Time for more work on the trailer.

I had spare cotter pins and now understand why BOB trailers went to captive cotter pins where the pin is attached to the trailer by a rubber stalk. I just placed an order for BOB trailer stuff. Now I'll be placing another. In the mean time, how to 'capture' my own 'free' cotter pins?
View attachment 53573 Duct tape and zip ties, that's how 😁. Temporarily, at least.

Below, the mud guard. It's inverted relative to design, but this is an adaptive use and clearance was better this way. I've had good luck with a setup like this on my...err...Chip's Burley Coho XC 😜.
View attachment 53574 Note the duct tape on the trailer's vertical yoke arm. It attaches the remaining spare cotter pin to the trailer. Had I done this at the start of yesterday's ride, I would not have had to turn back early.

In general, I'm not a fan of making permanent repairs or modifications using duct tape. In this case, the cotter pin will likely remain as seen here and be joined by a twin on the other side. Perhaps that can be dressed up with some red duct tape 🤨. Further forward, my stylin' home built captive cotter pins will hopefully serve until I can get some factory made captive replacements ordered.
I know that Chip appreciates the effort.

161 - 180 of 217 Posts