What is a Fred?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by fleeter, Mar 5, 2010.

1. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

I need a definition for the term "fred." I've been unsuccessful in trying to distill the meaning from the contextual usage of it.

Nigal seems to think it means putting on cycling shorts and clipless shoes, while other people say that wearing a camelback makes you fredi-ish.

I'm so confused :confused:
    :D

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. fleeter

sweet, so me and you, we're cool, right?:D

4. Industry_Hack

Like ice.

5. fleeter

I'm just waiting for Nigal to get in here and start posting his hate :p

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Wait I'm a Fred? What does that even mean?

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

8. fleeter

I guess I am too...:( just based off the statement, "An interesting corollary for the poseur type of Fred is that if someone is worried about being a Fred, he probably is one of these Freds."

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I wonder if it works in opposition?

10. Industry_Hack

Better a Fred than a Freida.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I think that depends on which fred or which frieda... No you're right.

12. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

13. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I am a Fred and proud of it.

14. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I deal with Fred-types in the backpacking world and I laugh and deride them mercilessly when I hike with them. For them it's all about the mileage and the lightest best gear. Always having the latest and greatest gadget. They take something simple and wonderful like walking and seeping in the woods and turn it into something competitive. Very d*uchey.

Same things goes for the bike world. Riding a bike is a simple joy. So, yes, when I see the middle aged guy with the pot belly on his $3,000 Trek with aero bars and his USPS jersey on riding on the bike path I laugh.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  15. Nigal

Oh come now my good man. I hate no one. :love: I will laugh at the antics of the Freds but in the end what they do, what they ride, and how they act is their business. I have to worry about myself and carrying on with my anti-Fred behavior such as waving to other bikers, waving to cars that give me my 3', not looking down on those with lesser bikes than mine, wearing paper sacks over my clipless shoes, wearing my bike shorts under regular shorts,ect.

16. fleeter

:D...I think I've seen you before...

Attached Files:

• bags.jpg
      bags.jpg
      File size:
      59.3 KB
      Views:
  17. Nigal

Haha! OMG ya had to pick a hipster doofus on a fixie? Don't even get me started on those guys! They're worse than Freds. At least Freds drink good beer and not PBR.

18. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

A Fred will...

...have mirrors on his handlebar as backup to the sunglass mirror.
    ...have a frame bag, handlebar bag, seatbag, and hydration pack, carrying epic amounts of supplies and food for a one-hour ride at 10 mph.
    ...have enough lycra to outfit the Astana team for the year, and make time to put it on to go to the grocery store.

Basically, Freds get so into the 'atmosphere' of cycling that they lose a fingerhold on reality. Trust me -- I just got out of recovery....

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I have a bike and a weight issue. I'm just simple and not into the serious aspect of cycling. I think with some it makes it more fun but with me it steals from the simplicity of it which is what I am after. I wanna feel the wind, and that's about it. I'm still a fred.

20. lotek

lotek New Member

Nigal,

The first (and true) definition of Fred is the guy who shows up for a group ride
    wearing cut off denims and a Tee shirt, on an old Bridgestone RB3 bike, has clips n' straps overhis Converse Chuck Taylors. He is wearing a Bell Biker helmet (ca 1982), witha mirror attached to either the helmet or his sunglasses (rayban wayfarers).
    Fred generally rides huge amounts of miles and can rip the legs off most weight weenies and racerboy wannabes.
    He cares little for style, new bike gear etc., nor what people think of him.

The guy you described with the latest, greatest lightest equiptment is either a
    roadie (if he actually rides) or a poseur (if he doesn't ride).

Marty