What is a good, light wheelset?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by chaco24, Jun 28, 2010.

1. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

I've got a 09' TREK 2.3 and I want to get a lighter wheel set any suggestions on what I should get?

2. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

How much do you ride? What is your fitness level and what exactly do you expect lighter wheels to do for you?

I've had better results working on my engine that a ton of friends have had spending $1000 on pretty wheels.:D

3. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

wheels are neat, think tires first

I would look at your tires first if you can upgrade the tires you can "feel" the difference right away. Question: what type of wheel tire are you running now? If you can take a pound off the rotating weight Its like taking seven pounds off the frame.

Next thing to worry about is the gearing on the new wheels you are soon to be riding. Question: What gear range are you running now? 11-28? 12-24? 13-32? How many speed cassette 9,10,11 ? Sometimes if you change the gear ratio it makes the wheels "feel" lighter or more responsive.

If you want to go full goose bozo you can always get a set of ulna light wheels like American Classic makes or even go with sew-ups because they "feel" grate. I have sew-ups on my fixed gear but I will warn you that it took me over an hour to patch the darn thing. One solution is not always the best for all riders all the time.

Mike

4. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

aceofspades is also right on the money with his analysis.

Mike

5. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Buying speed really does work, and it has an immediate payback. You can always work on the engine, too. People who tell you to work on the engine instead of buying stuff... they're not wrong, but their thinking is limited.

Now, as to what to get... Beats me! How much you planning on spending and are they for climbing or raw speed?

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

7. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

Limited thinking? That's why we ask, what are your goals? what is your fitness level? type questions.

If the guy rides once every two weeks, 40 miles a month, do you really think a set of new wheels is going to help?

IMO, that's limited thinking, telling a guy that wheels will help without knowing at what level he rides, if at all?

8. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

"Bikes don't win races"

I was really lucky a long time ago and got to work in a shop that was owned by the couch of the U.S. National track team. His Name was Carl and one of the things he said to me was that "Bikes do not win races, by themselves they just sit there". He related to me a story of when the team went down to Columbia for a event and while they were training they got there buts kicked by a local kid on a three speed.
    My old bike shop used to sponsor a race team and they thought they were hot stuff. The captain of the team was riding in central Oregon when he got "dropped" by a girl on a mountain bike with a cast on her arm. I would have paid good money to see that. Turns out she was on the U.S. National team and had recently broke her forearm and al she could ride was a mountain bike.
    Put your average cat 3 racer on a Trek Madone and Lance Armstrong on a Varsity and the cat 3 will still get his ass kicked. Like Lance said "its not about the bike"

Mike

9. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Amen, and Amen

10. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

I just started riding a little over a month ago, I ride 10-11 miles four days a week commuting and between 40-50 miles on the weekend. My fitness level is increasing every week, I've gone from maintaining an average speed of 8-10mph up to 14-16mph. I'm losing weight, and I was looking into getting lighter wheels as a way to make my bike a little lighter/faster.

11. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Without an engine what good does lite do if you can't get it anywhere ? I would agree whole heartedly with the coach ! But if your old like me lite doesn't hurt either !

12. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

lighter is better!

"I just started riding a little over a month ago, I ride 10-11 miles four days a week commuting and between 40-50 miles on the weekend. My fitness level is increasing every week, I've gone from maintaining an average speed of 8-10mph up to 14-16mph. I'm losing weight, and I was looking into getting lighter wheels as a way to make my bike a little lighter/faster."

Sounds like if you are looking for a lighter set of wheels (I just got done looking up the specks on the bike your riding) and it is a good fairly light modern set. It looks like if you want to "step up" to the next level of wheels your going to have to spend almost as much on the new wheels as you did on the complete Bike. The wheels you have are perfectly good set of race speck wheels. Ten speed 32 spoke wheel set. If it were up to me I would look at some better tires first. Maybe something from Continental or Maxxis with a higher tpi than the stock but good tires you have and maybe go with a latex tubes and get a good floor pump and make sure your tires are up to 120 psi

Instead of wheels I would look at getting a speedometer with a cadence meter and try to work on keeping your cadence above 95 rpm. Think about spinning a smaller gear faster than a bigger gear slower. Try to work on "spinning" the pedal in little circles not just pushing down on the pedals. It will hurt more and cost less, but I think you will wind up going faster in the long run. This also assumes that you have shoes and cleats or at least toe-clips and straps.

You also might thing about getting a "Fit Kit" done. this is a set up that "fits" you to the bike making sure that you are generating the best power per revolution of the crank. One quarter of an inch can make a world of difference in the speed, power and comfort.

Mike

13. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

P.S. Smaller gear means something that goes less per revolution than a larger one. Its based on the concept of "gear inches" If you are in the small chainring in front and the biggest cog in back that is the smallest gear. When I ride I like to keep it in the little chainring in the front, unless I am going down hill.

14. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

thanks for the advice, I got a cyclo-computer w/cadence put on the bike yesterday