Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seems like it would have to be a gear system where either person can pedal but the pedals from one person pedaling don't slam into the back of the other persons feet if they do it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to say that thing is magic. Does anybody actually know how they work?

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
I would say on the sociables, and this is just based on my incredible mechanical intelligence because I have not seen one. I would say the bike has a common shaft on the end of it is the drive chain to the wheel or wheels. Each person has a crank they are connected to the common driveshaft with a freewheel type sprocket. Then as they each pedal it spins the common shaft. Or it may be that one person (the dumb one) has pedals that drive it and all the smart ones just spin pedals with a chain that goes to a disconnected sprocket.

If you are on the second type and pedalling real hard then you are the dumb one.

Or they could just do it like this.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Check this one out!!! It's called a "conference" bike, there is a video on Youtube of it in motion, it is very strange...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cDDBM9gJts]YouTube - conference bike[/ame]

DrB

Attachments

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I ended up finding it and they have all sorts of crazy contraptions. 5 seaters and what not. Evidently there used in a lot of places.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sociable just means side by side or abreast. There are many ways to do it. Think of Air Force trainers. Some have the instructor behind the trainee (T-38.) Some have the instructor and the trainee next to each other (T-37.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts