Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner and recently came across this unique hybrid bicycle. It is a 1991 Marin Stinson. It is in good operation. I have upgraded the grips, post, saddle, pedals, and tires. Other than that it is all original. Original paint with a few small scratches (small rust in scratches). Suntour shifting components. I have only found an original catalogue PDF with any info on this bike. I have brought it to 2 bike shops and they have never seen one like it. I am looking to buy another bike and maybe sell this one, but what should be a reasonable asking price? I have listed the pic.

Attachments

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
qmsdc15 said:
Did you ask at the bike shops? 50-60% of original price if in good condition.
Not at that time, as I was looking to keep it. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it - rare and unique do not always equate to valuable. Any Yugo owner can attest to that. That said, a steel frame that probably has eyelets on the fork and rear stays, along with reliable bar-top thumb shifters and some fast rolling wheels, is invaluable as a commuter bike. Downsides are possibly questionable brakes (get some salmon Kool-Stop pads) and a BioPace crankset. Neither of those should be a deal breaker for anyone though. It's definitely a keeper.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
In my honest opinion, I don't think you'd be getting enough to justify parting with it if it's still somewhat functional to you. Looks like a great gravel road grinder or commuter to me.

It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it
Reminds me of a quote from one of my all-time favorite movies.

Fair price. That's not what you say it is, that's what the market will bear. Simple economics.

Who knows the movie?

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Industry_Hack said:
It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it - rare and unique do not always equate to valuable. Any Yugo owner can attest to that. That said, a steel frame that probably has eyelets on the fork and rear stays, along with reliable bar-top thumb shifters and some fast rolling wheels, is invaluable as a commuter bike. Downsides are possibly questionable brakes (get some salmon Kool-Stop pads) and a BioPace crankset. Neither of those should be a deal breaker for anyone though. It's definitely a keeper.
Thanks for the advise. I will defiantly give it some more upgrades.

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Xela said:
In my honest opinion, I don't think you'd be getting enough to justify parting with it if it's still somewhat functional to you. Looks like a great gravel road grinder or commuter to me.

Reminds me of a quote from one of my all-time favorite movies.

Fair price. That's not what you say it is, that's what the market will bear. Simple economics.

Who knows the movie?
Good call. I will probably keep it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts