What is the best frame-mounted pump?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wild, Jun 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I nead some help finding a good pump. I now have a Topeak Road G morph Master Blaster $41.99. I have had to use it on the road twice and bouth times I could not get it to pump over 100# :eek:, evean though it says Maximule Pumpleistung : 11 bar (160 psi). I am thinking that means it will pump 160# :rolleyes:.
    So what frame mounted pump would you recomend ?? I would like the pump to have a foot and a hose, and a gauge on the pump and it must fit a presta valve. I nead it to pump 140# min

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

140!:eek: Most pumps are roadside pumps meant to get you back to safety. 140 is way high when 100 psi can get you just about anywhere.

I beleive many floorpumps will struggle to hit 140, roadside 140, good luck!:D

3. wild

With the 700 X 28 tire and my 240# :eek: I nead all the air I can get 100# with me on the bike it allmost looks like it is flat. If it says maximule pumpleistung : 11 bar ( 160 psi ) I thaught it ment it would pump to 160# :rolleyes: I was down the LBS and thay got it to pump 120#, but thay were not 65 years old and rode 30 miles befor the pumped the tire up. it took 2 guys takeing turns to get it to 120# ;)

4. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Carry CO2 for topping it off after you've pumped it to 100. I have a Road Morph, and I've never had a problem getting tires up to 100-120, but I've never tried 160. Heck, I've never tried that with my floor pump!

5. wild

If I can get 120# I will be happy :D I told the guys down the bike shop the next time I nead the tire pumped up I would call bouth of them ;). Thay said thay would be right there just wait on the side if the road for them :rolleyes:.

At 65 years old I run out of pumpleistung real quick what ever pumpleistung is

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  6. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

Why would you call a couple of wimps to help you out? I can get 120 with my frame pump (Blackburn). 2 guys to hit 120 with a floor stand? Sheesh!

Maybe a passing rider would be willing to help you out (if any)?

Some of pumping a tire is technique. I stand open stance, place front elbow on knee as a brace, leverage, and stability while using use the back arm to pump. I've helped plenty of others, especiall old dudes.

But then again, like I said, pumps are meant to get you back home.

7. wild

I was thinking maybe the flat on the bike would be covered under my AAA :rolleyes: I think I could change the flat and be home, befor thay got there ;)

8. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Road Morphs convert to a miniature floor pump. A foot folds out and the other end swivels out to become a T-bar handle. It takes longer than a 'real' floor pump, but it works surprisingly well and doesn't run such a high risk of bending a fragile presta stem.

Maybe I should ask a stupid question of Wild. Is the lock lever pulled up when you're pumping? Sorry, but sometimes the basic stuff really does get overlooked - like the time I saw a 20-year veteran tightening his Q/R by using the lever as a mini-wrench. He didn't know you flip the lever to lock it.

9. wild

Yes I have a fold out foot a folding handle a hose that extends and a gauge. The box said Topeak Road G Morph Master blaster don't get me wrong the pump is a good pump but I would like to get the tire up to at least 120# where I feel it is enough presure that I can go 30 to 50 miles. I will pump as long and as hard as I can on the next flat fix :eek: and I hope it will say at least 120# on the gauge :rolleyes:. And yes I am pulling the lock lever up ;) The thing I don't want is to have a blow out from low tire presure after I fixed a flat :mad:

10. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

True, I stopped to help a guy with one. He couldn't pump the tire!:eek:

He was standing off to the side and with every stroke, he'd lose the pump as it swung to the side! He was pretty frustrated:hate:

It was actually a funny site to see but I couldn't take anymore, I had to do it for him. :D

Like you said, sometimes the basic things are overlooked, like technique and levers!:cool:

11. wild

Update

I got a flat the outher day and I got the pump to go to 120# . It took a lot of pumplistung but then the gauge jumped from 100 to 120# :D so now we know the old guy can get it up :thumbsup: :rolleyes: to 120# :eek: