What is the correct inflation pressure for road bike tires?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Terri, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Terri

Terri Guest

I just got a used rode bike and the tires are new. It says to inflate to 120 psi but at 100 they are tight. DO they still need to be at 120? I'm afraid they'll pop.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

3. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Thanks Alex, chart was a big help....I'd been overinflating by almost 20lbs..

DrB

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I've been riding mine around the value recommended by the chart (105 to 110 instead of 120) and it has only been a positive difference. The ride is much smoother now, and I actually think it corners better because some of the small bumps are being soaked up by tire deflection.

5. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

yeah, keep the pressure low as you can for your weight, better ride, better rolling resistance.

6. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Here are four sites that talk about inflation pressure.

You need at least enough pressure to keep from getting pinch flats when you hit a hole, but not so much pressure as to blow the tire off of the rim, or experience an extremely rough ride.

From tire manufacturers
    Schwalbe Tires - North America
    Michelin Bicycle Tires - USA

Other opinions:
    Sheldon Brown - All About Bicycle Tires and Tubes
    http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

Personally, I would go with the tire manufacturers rather than the other opinions.

7. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

Depends on your weight and the tire specs. With tubeless tires you can run a little lower pressures because you don't have to worry about pinch flats. With clincher tires (tubes) you still don't want to max out the pressure, for instance Vittoria says you can inflate some of their tires up to 140psi. Unless the road is smooth as glass you are going to get lower rolling resistance and you'll have a teeth chattering ride. You'll spin longer with lower pressures and you'll spin smoother also, but you can't go too low either. You just have to figure out what that "sweet spot" is for you. For me it's between 95-100psi on Fusion3 tubeless tires.

8. MaryWestmacott

MaryWestmacott M. Westmacott

This is really helpful, thanks for sharing,I've been doing it all wrong for years, maybe my tryres will last abit longer now ! all the best, x

9. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

MaryWestmacott, let us know how things go.