What is the largest and heaviest load you have hauled on your bike?

Discussion in 'Expedition & Touring' started by SUX VR40 Rider, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

Besides yourself, what do you think the largest and/or the heaviest load you have hauled on your bike? The largest can be different then the heaviest load.

If you run errands on your bike then maybe the largest/heaviest load was grocery's. If you only commute then perhaps it is what ever you haul in your saddle bags/panniers.

The largest load I ever hauled on my recumbent was a very large bag of cans and bottles. I took a load to the recycling center drop site. In the plastic/metal bin was a huge bag of cans and bottles, the kind you find next to pop machines. So I strapped it to my rear rack with the bungee cords I have and hauled it to the can redemption center. It netted me about $12.00. The bag was taller then my head and wider then my seat, but it was fairly light in weight.

The heaviest load was probably 50 pounds and was what I hauled to the recycling center drop site. Most of it was paper and cardboard. Thankfully the 6 mile ride to the drop site was flat, but it still took a little longer then usual because of the weight.

2. camilo

camilo New Member

Two young kids in a trailer. I think about 100 pounds total including the trailer. This was also the largest in terms of bulk. Kids have a similar density to water.

3. riderman14

riderman14 Guest

in 1999 i did a ride from Sault St Marie ontario to charlottesville,va.i knew i was going to go thru three mountain ranges.the appalatians,the allaghaney's, and the blue ridge.knowing i was giong to pull my yak big tow trailor,i trained for two months pulling it around with three cinder blocks in it.two were solids and one wasnt.so i'm guessing it was around 100lbs. or so!i was good for about 20 miles a day!so when i left for my trip,i had only about 30-40lbs. total and it was a breeze!god i was $#%%^$# crazy back then!ride on

4. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

Never really towed much myself... A friend of mine used a BOB trailer to tow his transmission to the shop. Not very far, but did have to climb a couple of nasty hills. I'd say it was around 200 pounds.

5. bootht99

bootht99 New Member

a fat kid standing on bike pegs. thats about 200 pounds. haha. jk! not that heavy. maybe 180. lol. i've towed my friend in a bike carrier, hes like 130lbs. we've hauled sheets of plywood and 10ft 2x4's in the carrier too. my friend had it loaded with phonebooks once. i had a 3wheeled bike full of them too, but thats cheating. i've also carried a little kid bike while riding. that kinda hurt and was a real PITA.

6. bootht99

bootht99 New Member

me and some buddies are thinking about building a trailor to haul a tiny boat out to an isolated lake to go fishing. the only way to get to the lake is about a 3km hiking trail that goes over some pretty bad hills. i doubt that will happen though.

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Heaviest was my 2 nephews when they were 7&9; with the trailer itself, that was about 120 pounds.

Most AWKWARD load was the complete curtain set my mother dumped on me for my house; called my then-wife to let her know I was bringing it, so i had to deliver. Trouble was, Mom lived in the next town over! 23 miles with curtain rods strapped to the top tube & bags of curtains draped over the bar.....

8. dzrthauler

dzrthauler Old dog.... new tricks

Grocery Run

This was a milestone in utility cycling & going car-not-so-much for me - a run to Stater Bros. with the new bin I picked up, on my home made flat bed. Bin weighs about 25 lbs. - I had 2 bags of Rock Salt ( 40lbs each) in the bottom of the bin and the rest of the weeks worth of groceries... guestimate 145 lbs. 20 miles round trip... second leg in the rain - of course!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Kiddos in the trailer and I do it pretty often. Roughly 100lbs all together including trailer, maybe a little more.

10. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I helped with the Washington Area Bicyclists Association office move and used my WIKE large cargo trailer to haul 6 loads up the hill from Dupont Circle to Adams Morgan in DC. My heaviest load was probably right around 100lbs but making 6 fully loaded trips up the hill in a couple of hours was a hell of a workout.

11. kegoguinness

kegoguinness New Member

Not the heaviest but I carried a whole roasting chicken in one of my panniers. For some reason that cracks me up.

Attached Files:

12. Katcorot

Katcorot YearRounder

Hauled a old broken printer to recycle center, wasnt really heavy just bulky.

Printer 001.jpg

Printer 002.jpg

13. dcswan

dcswan New Member

I've got that same box for my tools etc for the back of the truck. Not so much on the light side for the box alone! That'll build up the muscles for sure, awsome work!

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

180 pounds. My brother. On the front. It lasted all of two minutes before he bailed and I almost ran him over. I was looking to build an uber strong errand bike but I hit a snag. Money.

15. Grace

Grace New Member

I used to think I carried a lot of gear on my touring bike until I met this cyclist in South India….

[​IMG]

16. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I hope there aren't a lot of traffic lights or stop signs in South India....I can't imagine its easy for that guy to stop and start.

17. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I think I posted this before but I can't find it?

Moving by Bicycle

This local guy moves all his stuff by bike.

18. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Checking back on this one, found my last post, and have since beaten it -- actually about two months after that post! My daughter, my nephew, and their bookbags, home from after-school karate class. 175lb. Almost broke the trailer.

19. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Well nothing crazy compared to yall!

Just my hiking/day bag filled with food for the week. No need to pay for a cab. It was about $50 worth of food.