Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post asking what kind of bike do I want to buy. I want one that will be used in NYC this summer and ultimately for college in St. Louis this coming fall. I would use this bike mainly for riding throughout the city and to and from classes. I would also occasionally want to use it for longer rides/exercise. Do I need multiple speeds? I'm pretty sure I don't want a fixed gear, but is there such a thing as a fixie with breaks because I definitely want breaks. Maybe a single speed? I definitely don't want to buy a frame or something and build; I'd like to buy the whole bicycle. My price range is around $400-$800 with a little flexibility. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would go for something with multiple speeds if you plan on riding in st louis, we have some pretty mean hills. That being said lots of people here ride single speeds.

·
ALWAYS IN A RUSH
28 Posts
stick to major brands that have established themselves........cannondale trek,specialized..........because am in nyc also and you need a good mtb with all those nasty potholes and brakes is a must.a friend of mine had a fixed bike ,and within 1 week a ladie opened a cab door and he crashed right into it and hurt his shoulder and arm.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
You can get a perfectly good single speed with brakes for around $300, but you need to give us more info on what you plan on using it for. Will you be riding in hilly areas, or just flat city riding?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nyc

NYC has more paved bike paths than most cities you can buy what ever you like. If you want to be cool buy a single speed. NYC is a big bike city so what ever you buy you will be fine. You don't need a lot of gears in NYC its flat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts