what kind of forks can i get to lighten my roadbike?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by hxcpride, Apr 12, 2010.

1. hxcpride

hxcpride New Member

ok, so i have two older roadbikes ones a singlespeed cheapy murray, the other i just picked up is a 1990 univega. I know univega is a good name brand, however the thing is pretty heavy even for a chromo frame. So i was gonna buy some lighter forks off a guy in town who sells older road bikes/ parts. However like i said they would be off a older 90s-or older roadbike. So what brands should i look for, or what style? Aluminum? or what? Sorry im new to roadbiking, and if i can get ideas on how to lighten it up that would be nice also. thanks!

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Better to get lighter wheels than mess with forks to save a few grams.

3. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I'm with Industry on that one. Bikes like that wouldn't benefit much from a fork swap anyway. Upgrading the wheels gives the best bang for buck. Threaded forks are a hassle, often need to be cut. If you're a big guy with a long headtube then most used forks will already be cut too short for you. Hassle...avoid! Don't do it.

4. Industry_Hack

Wheels will make a bigger difference, and will come in handy should you get a newer bike.

5. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

+1. Another vote for wheels. I'm not sure how much benefit you could get out of a fork, but I guess if you were sure that's the path you want to go down, might be good to bring the bike and the fork you're thinking about replacing the old one with to your local bike shop...

6. Industry_Hack

You'd have to find a fork with the right length steerer, as a shop would probably charge $20 to cut and thread.

Aluminum forks scare me more than carbon.

7. hxcpride

hxcpride New Member

8. Industry_Hack

I'm not knocking your bike, it's just that you'd be kinda throwing money away on an "upgrade" like that.

9. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

There are several things to look at for weight saving:

Saddle
    Seat post
    Pedals
    handlebar
    Wheels

The greatest/best weight savings are what is called rolling weight...
    Wheels, pedals, tires. these roll and therefore will give the largest weight savings effect.

Go for lightening the rolling weight first...
    #1 WHEELS!!!