Two Spoke Forums banner

What kind of trail did you ride today?

16K views 71 replies 33 participants last post by  Hazy 
#1 ·
Personally, I love mudding with my bike. Not puddles, but huge, deep, up-to-the-forks mud. So tell us your favorite type of trail, and while you're at it, throw in the type of trail you conquered today on your mountain rig.

#7 · (Edited)
i went about 20km today with my school in riding mountain national park, only 8 kids went. just small hills, grass trail (worn down from tires, that was kinda nice), mud pits from washouts (really fun just to fly through them), and roots and rocks. it was nice and easy, you could get going at a pretty good pace. we averaged 14km/h overall, and 25km/h on downhill sections.

at first everyone didn't want to bike through the mud, but me and my bestfriend would just fly by them. we got covered. then everyone started doing it, a couple kids went OTB. that was too funny! my best friend did it and landed mud. his whole arm went straight into the mud, we had to pull him out. this one kid did it like 3 times, he was just covered. haha.

we went to grey owl's cabin (archey baleny is his real name) and beaver lodge lake. the cabin stunk like mouse crap, and the lake was a slough. i tried walking into to it to swim and clean up, but sank up to my waist in mud. it was like quick sand, people had to pull me out, if i didn't i'd be up to my neck. the "lake" sucked, so we went down another trail to a lake to swim and clean up. it took us like 2.5 hrs on the trail (not including the lakes), but we stopped for slow kids alot.

i liked it alot, and me and my friends are planning a trip so that we'd bike all day, then camp the night. every night would be at a different site.

#14 ·
More or less I go to the Brushy Creek Trails, actually it's a trail that links four other parks together. It's more of a concrete/dirt trails. I would say 60% is dirt and 40% is concrete I like the changes in terrain and consistency, so I always want to keep a average speed goal. I guess I'm a XC/ freeride type. Me and father will go every other day and tackle that sucker. I also ride the streets, sidewalks, and greenbelts, back trails, anything with dirt and rocks, not boulders. Not that jumping off a cliff and not knowing what's down there. But I do like steep downhills and uphills. From time to time I like to do sprints if I don't hit the trails.

Attachments

#15 ·
It's been overcast with light showers in Austin so I haven't rode in in a couple of days but I got out this morning and went nuts in the puddles. Almost slipped of my seat hitting them to hard. I picked up a mountain bike from a garage sale over the weekend so I was using that instead of my Raleigh, It's more fun to run over things on a mountain bike! I haven't had one since I was a kid, but I think I'm gonna hit the green belt this weekend if the weather hold out.

#16 ·
We FINALLY got some rain earlier today, it let up afterwards. But it was too wet to hit the trails. So I rode the streets today, speaking of kids. I ran into a swarm of neighborhood juvenile bikers. They always want to race me.:rolleyes: It feels like I'm being stalked by these little critters in my own neighborhood.:D

Attachments

#17 ·
Did our weekly ride at Schaeffer Farm last night. Kinda of a small turn out due to the threat of rain. We only had 7 people show up. Usally we have two or three times that many.

We kicked off at 6:00. It was a great ride and only around 65 degrees, so I rode with only a water bottle. The rain never came, but it's here in full force this morning. Post ride, we hit Dogfish Head ale house as usual for some deeeeelicious IPA's and grub.

Starting next Thursday, we're bumping the time to 7:00 and starting this seasons night rides.

#18 ·
We FINALLY got some rain earlier today, it let up afterwards. But it was too wet to hit the trails. So I rode the streets today, speaking of kids. I ran into a swarm of neighborhood juvenile bikers. They always want to race me.:rolleyes: It feels like I'm being stalked by these little critters in my own neighborhood.:D
Haha, kids are great aren't they. Next time they challenge you do it then move at your own pace. If you lose problem solved. If you win you've proved your alpha male status and they should bend to your will. Dominate and oppress those hooligans! Kids need direction.

#19 ·
Haha, kids are great aren't they. Next time they challenge you do it then move at your own pace. If you lose problem solved. If you win you've proved your alpha male status and they should bend to your will. Dominate and oppress those hooligans! Kids need direction.
LOL Yah they are not too bad, I have raced the two of them before on several occasions, and they are aware of my pace. But that day I went out to ride I was caught off guard when I saw six of them riding all clump together. It seems my bike addiction might have started a cycling epidemic, at least I made a positive impact I guess right?

#22 · (Edited)
Little fun on the big bike :D doing some training for next season. Took the Shivers off today and threw the 888's on for my winter riding. Kinda backwards from what others normally do. I like a lower front rake that my shivers provide for racing and my bigger higher rake for hucking off stuff all winter.

#26 ·
Nice pictures, thanks for posting. It looks like you have to watch your line or lose a rear derailleur. Can you PM me with the location?
yup.

And derailleur wise, no, not with a dh bike. I don't go around the rocks I go over them in most cases. Rocks are good for boosting off of, clearing bad sections of the trail. The big rock in the middle in the last pic is a good example of that. Hit that going 45 and you will land off the picture clearing a whole chunk of bad trail. Pedals do get pretty torn up though. Definitely not a clipless friendly trail as you will most likely rip the bottom part off the pedal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.