Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new Trek Navigator WSD 1.0 for a relatives birthday present today, and when I got home, I couldn't believe that the kickstand was missing. So I quickly called the salesman to tell him about it. And I was told kickstands are not included on new bikes. That's crazy. Anybody else know about this issue with new Trek bikes?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Recently purchased a 7.4 for my wife. The kickstand was included. I am not sure if it was supplied by Trek or my LBS. I did notice that the entire area displaying the Hybrids had kickstands regardless of make and model.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I purchased a new Trek Navigator WSD 1.0 for a relatives birthday present today, and when I got home, I couldn't believe that the kickstand was missing. So I quickly called the salesman to tell him about it. And I was told kickstands are not included on new bikes. That's crazy. Anybody else know about this issue with new Trek bikes?

You're kidding, right?

Most bikes don't come with kickstands, and they haven't for years. Raleigh and Diamondback still put them on some bikes, but most brands have made them an optional accessory to keep their costs down. Just like options on a car.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Giant still puts kick stands on all but their road bikes, although I have heard of some local shops that remove them and sell them back to you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Great info everyone. Schwinn has kickstands. And Diamondback. I've been in many shops and many other brands have kickstands.
A lot of the time, it's the shop putting the kickstands on to give the customer a better deal or to have a better way to display the bikes. Kickstands are cheaper than $1500 bike displays.

I always put kickstands on bikes that I think should have them.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Kickstands are cheaper than $1500 bike displays.

I always put kickstands on bikes that I think should have them.

This must be the reasons why my LBS has all their hybrids on kickstands.

·
1,084 Posts
Neither my GT hybrid, nor my wife's Schwinn came with them. Was a $10 add from our LBS to add them (which we elected to take).

I get not doing it in a city like environment, as most places you can travel to around here have some sort of rack, and most people who routinely bike have some sort of solution in their homes too.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
Yes. The bike does not come with a kick stand. The majority of bikes do not, thankfully!!

With rare exception if a bicycle comes with a kick stand it's because the bike shop put it on there. When I worked at the shop the only bikes I remember coming with kick stands were a few of the hybrid and sport comfort bikes.

A kick stand costs a couple bucks, if you want one buy one. But they're like 5 lbs of pure evil IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts