Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Egg=head in case your a bit lost by the subject! :)

I am looking to upgrade from my Bell Solar helmet which has been fine for 2 years. Couple of complaints, a bit warm in the summer and seems to fit too high. So looking for a bit more venting and style.

I need to keep the budget as close to 100 bux as possible so very high end is out of the question unless you know of a killer sale goon on. :)

Looking at the Bell Sweep and Giro Ionos so far. Any reviews on these or suggestions for others?

Thanks!!!

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
You don't need to spend a lot to get a good quality helmet. Unfortunately the cooler and lighter you want the more your gonna have to spend. I think I spent 54 bux on a Giro which is adequate cooling for me. I always wear a U.A. skull cap under my helmet to help keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Ionos would be a good way to go of you can find one in your 100 dollar range. Last I checked they were well above that price break.

**EDIT* Guess you can get one at Competitive Cyclist for 90 plus 8 bux shipping for a 2011 model. Not bad!

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts

·
889 Posts
I've always been a fan of Giro helmets, they fit my odd shaped head the best so I tend to go for them. The Ionos is a nice helmet and as rola said, you don't have to spend a lot for a good helmet but it's definately something you don't want to skimp on either. Look for something with big/lots of vents for the best cooling.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe I must have been thinking of the Saros model from Giro. The Ionos was the one I immediately gravitated to ( shocking!! :rolleyes: ) but saw the pricetag and set it down.:(

Anyway, I think the Sweep model from Bell was the one within my budget that I liked the most. Just standing in the shop I could tell the difference with the venting between it and any others that I tried.

Not in a huge rush to do this as HOT weather is still (hopefully) a few months away. So if there are any other suggestions please let me know.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Yep , I was hoping it would be my secret weapon against you and Poolie in our 20 mph challenge! Drats!!! Foiled again!! :)
After yesterdays ride at 14.9 mph avg and a 17.6 moving average that won't be hard. I thought we were going to fall over we were going so slow :eek:

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
I just picked up a Fox Flux helmet as my old helmet was doing its best to try and melt my head. The venting on this think is worth its weight in gold!

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Giro Indicator, good price ($40.00) and very good ventilation for a helmet of that price. I have no issues riding with this helmet in the Florida heat.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I can't take credit for the idea. I saw something similar. When I realized the light fit so well in the vent, I bought a second set so it would look like eyes. Each came in a set including a matching headlight. I like having two of the little headlights in my backpack. If the one I'm using dies, I have a spare. Sometimes I use both at once. They are minimalist, but pretty bright for a single LED. I guess the reflector/lens is well designed. I always have two taillights on my helmet whichever bike I ride. :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I have a Specialized Echelon helmet. It was $50-60 at the LBS. As much as I don't read "that" magazine, I had a copy around me and flipped through it and they gave it race reviews.

I can honestly say it is probably the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn and the price cannot be beat.
I also have that helmet and agree, it is the most comfortable helmet that inhave worn. 50 bucks at Bike Barn in Houston.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts