What road bike tires are good?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Mike1jw, Jun 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I got only 650 miles on my Michelin Pro Race 3 tire and got a blow out today. Looks like something punctured it, but the tires do look more tired (no pun intended) then I feel they should look with only 650 miles on them. I hope I dont have to pay 60 dollars plus a tube and air canister every 650 mi.

I dont race so I guess I don't need a race tire. Anyone have any suggestions for a durable, long lasting road tire?

Mike

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Serfas, Seca s surviver series, triple flat protection I think thay were around $45 each
    I have picked a lot of glass out of them so far so good.

3. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Thanks neighbor, I'll give them a look. How are things down there in south Jersey? I love the roads in central jersey. I live in East Windsor but I usually ride down by Jackson. The farthest south I've been is Rt. 537 & 539 toward New Egypt. About 42 mile trip for me. A lot of farm land and horses. I'm still working on a half century ride. I would love to just keep peddling but the clock and the body limit me. I don't care what anyone says about Jersey, it's a beautiful state.

Thanks & enjoy
    Mike

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

5. infinitemass

infinitemass New Member

Check out the Michelin Lithions. The roads here in Jersey are brutal on tires. Been holding up good for me even out on all the debris on rt 70.

6. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

I use the Sefas Seca from REI, $24 for the wire bead model. About $30 at the LBS for folding. Wife uses GP4000's weighs much less than I do and they are not nearly as cut resistant as the Seras tires.

I just can't see spending $60 on tires that wear and tear so fast.:hate:

The Serfas Seca run a bit narrow. IF you use a 700X25, it will be about the same width as the GP4000 700X23.
    The Serfas 700X23 is narrow compared to the GP4000 as is the 700X23 Conti Ultra Race ( I also use the 25 in the Ultra Race model).:cool:

7. jad3

jad3 Helmet up, wheels down.

Ditto the GP4000s 1200 miles and knockknockknock no flat...PLENTY of wear left on them

8. wild

Mike I have said the same thing, I have bin all over the USA by car and motorcycle and I still like Jersey .:thumbsup: I have bin doing 20 25 miles a day today 35 I have a nice shadey ride bouth ways if I get out early ;).
    Like was posted REI has bouth the seca and the seca S surviver I said 3 layer but after reading it might be 4 layers of flat protetcion.
    At 65 I don't like fixing flats and I realy don't like fixing them after I ride 30 miles on a 40 mile ride.:eek:

9. Bern

Bern New Member

Another vote for Serfas Seca

I recently picked up a couple of these in 700 x 28, also from REI. They weigh 11.5 ozs and roll very well. Happy with the purchase.

Also agree that New Jersey is a very pretty state. Most people only know the narrow strip along the turnpike.

10. wild

Bern I have not bin to the fine state of Rhode Island, I will try to make it there befor the end. One state I realy liked on my travles was Wisconsin , It is not all Green Bay in the winter. I guess I could name a lot of states I liked in my travles. Thanks for the headsup on the tires

11. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I would consider something with kevlar. A bit heavier, but seem to keep the flats to a min.

12. antibard

antibard New Member

gp4000 are great, i've recently switched to continental force/attack. similarly excellent, and looking pretty fresh after 500 miles.
    got hutchinson top speed on my commuter- they look practically new after around 1000 miles, but the are heavy, slow and scary in the damp.

13. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Well I was going to get the 4000s but when I went to the LBS they said they only had 23mm. I had 25's on the bike before and I just didn't feel good about getting less (what do I know) The shop recommended the new Conti Gator Hardshell. I didn't want to wait for the 4000s 25's so I settled for the Hardshells. I put them on today, and road for about 30 mi. and they felt great. I couldn't tell the difference between them and the Mich Pro 3 ( but again, what do I know ) Since it was my main concern to get a durable tire, I'm satisfied with the purchase, especially since they were 5.00 less then the 4000s (I could use ten bucks :cool:) Time will tell.

Thanks for all the input. I'll be watching for the sales on the tires suggested here.

14. Bern

Bern New Member

Spin skins

One solution to the issue of quick tires with good durability and or flat protection may be Spin Skins, Race Bike Tires :: SpinSkins. I have not yet tried this but one answer may be to use a fairly racy, light weight tire with Spin Skin protection for about 1 oz. per tire.

15. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

I can't really say what's best because I have not tried them all. Due to frequent flats on my hybrid, which I'm a little rougher with than my road bikes, I replaced the tires with Schwalbe Marathon plus and have not flatted all season on that bike.

16. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

The Conti Gator Hardshell's should prove to be pretty durable. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't tell the difference between a durable training tire and a race tire, which is what the Pro Race3 is. Maybe Continental has a real winner here.