1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Interesting. Some things seem to make sense and others not as much. I do agree with intensity training off and on the bike based on personal experience.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Please hold the line while our technicians look into your issue......

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
  1. HIIT: Yes, very good.
  2. SB Pushups: No. Most cyclists can't recruit the right muscles for a regular pushup, let alone something on a ball. It requires PERFECT core bracing, glute activation not to mention a PERFEcTLY aligned lumbar spine.
  3. The mere fact they mention Gatorade makes this one suspect. Sports drink yes, but not something loaded with sugar. PhD Ex Phys I know says water first 60 mins is fine, carb sports drink of some kind after that.
  4. Emoticons won't prevent over training. Bake in a rest week every 5-6, and you'll be fine.
  5. You CAN stretch before a ride, you're better riding to get loose, or better yet doing some light core work, but you can. Unless you are riding on the track, you DON'T need explosive power in the first hour of most rides. Plus I'm not a fan of that stretch shown, way too easy to flex the spine. This is one of the more over hyped things in fitness. If someone is tight enough, sometimes this is the only way. PLUS, active isolated stretching :)02 holds/stretch) is fine, and has been found to "turn on" the nervous system. I've got an article on the forum about this. Another thing I disagree with here is it is very common for cyclists to have "swayback" in the lumbar spine area. When this happens, the hams are overstretched, and the last thing you want to do is stretch them even more. Stretch the hip flexors/glutes, not hams.

Plus, why would you stretch an area that doesn't really get hammered that much in terms of repetitive stress when you ride? The hip flexors get crushed, and this is what should be addressed post ride along with glute activation and thoracic mobility
  6. This is a great one, sure. I would suspect that if you put 100 riders in a room and had them do this stretch, a minimum of 70% would do this wrong. They'd be leaning over from their thoracic spine rounding out their backs. Plus they'd probably drop the head below the collarbone as well. If you insist on stretching the hams, lay on the floor and use a towel to raise a leg to hold. Wow.....
  7. Same thing here, could hammer people with knee issues to have it in this position. Plus, you sit when you ride, why the hell (getting a little fired up here) would you sit in a chair to stretch the glutes???? Who approves these articles!!!
  8. Sure, this works
  9. Not being an RN/RD, I'd have to take this at face value without digging deeper.
  10. The rider in the back has horrible spine position, if they followed the instructions in this point, they'd blow up and have a horrible ride based on how their body would fatigue. TT's are tricky, you're better off training for 15-25 min intervals just below red lining than gambling by going out too hot hoping to beat the house.
  11. Recovery, under utilized for sure.
  12. Ok, let's get one thing straight. Unless you've had an injury, what trainer/PT in their right mind would give someone a 5lb DB (looks like it in the pic) to curl and hope they hit exhaustion. On that note, for the female readers, if you want REAL training advice, look up "Girls Gone Strong." Very AWESOME information from some of the biggest female ass kickers in the strength world. STAY. OFF. THE. LEG. PRESS. You can hammer your lumbar spine here from the lack of hip mobility allowed sitting in the sled. Again, do ANTI cycling exercises STANDING to get better. You sit to ride, why would you sit to workout? Plus, if your form sucks for 10 reps, and you're cooked, going lighter for more just "ain't all that smart."
  13. Disagree. Plyos are great and do work, IF you can do the movement at a slow speed. And from what I've seen in the last 12 years in terms of being able to do body weight squats correctly, most riders shouldn't do plyos. Want to build an incredible power platform, get your joints as stable as possible. The more stable your joints, the more power you will produce.
  14. Sure, jump squat. BUT ONLY after you've COMPLETELY MASTERED getting in and out of a chair with perfect form.
  15. Split jump, see plyos from #13
At the root, there is decent information presented. The questionable part is how its presented, and the complete lack of mentioning corrective/mobility work as the key to unlocking more power/force production from your joints.

You want monster power in the saddle? Do "farmer's walks," deadlifts, single leg squats, rear foot elevated squats, power planks, anti rotation holds, lat pulls of some kind, Turkish Get Ups, stability ball triple threat and that kind of thing. These exercises will build a rock solid core, and give you an amped up engine on the bike like you wouldn't believe.

I recently crushed a ton of Strava KOMs/PRs I was chasing. I did nothing mentioned in the article, and a whole bunch of what was mentioned above. I made my base of support stronger, and my body allowed me to produce more power without having to do plyometrics.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the detailed answer! All of your detailed posts are allowing me to look at articles like this and evaluate them different than I did sa year ago!

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Ah INTEGRATE has spoken. Thank you for the always good information.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
omnivox42 said:
Ah INTEGRATE has spoken. Thank you for the always good information.
Well nuts to you Voxy. I answered that at about 10:30pm and got all amped up and had trouble making sleepier!

Glad your trainer is showing you a good time! :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
omnivox42 said:
Voxy? You too huh? Damnit.

:D
Would that be "Damnit" al a Cartman's "damnit Butters" tone?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I mushed up my...bum a bit.
Hit a bump about a month ago and got a deep bruise right at the sit bone.
It has been moving up towards the surface, and now has made it to the surface.
I am off the bike until it heals.
Friday was my last ride, and it ended in a lot of pain.
It will take a few weeks to heal, if i am lucky and keep off it(the bike).

The thing is...
I have a race in the middle of September. A triathlon. A goal race. Can not miss it, the amount of training is staggering for this kind of thing, to just walk away from.

How much bike legs will I loose in say 3 weeks?

The race is 40K(29 miles) on the bike. (A 2 K swim, a 40 K bike and a 10 K run) A long morning...

Not to mention the BRick workouts not done. I may need to do those despite the injury...

I will keep running and swimming. In fact I have increased the running by the 2 days the bike was exclusive to.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I've never heard of a bruise that forces someone off the bike a month after the trauma. I suspect fractured coccyx or cyst.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts