Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Trek Project-One, from my LBS in November of 2011 and got her in December of 2011. Most of you all have saw the pic of it ( YELLOW ) I have put almost 200 miles on her so far. Would have been more, but I was struck by a motorist in August of last year and have had surgery in January of 2012. To cut to the chase, I have had it back to the shop 6 times now and it is still making a noise like a front derailer rubbing the chain. It is NOT rubbing though. It only does it when I am in the outer ring of my crank and the smallest 3 rings in the cassette. It only does it in those 3 speeds. I am going nuts trying to figure it out. My shop says ride it 200 miles and if it is still doing it, they would try a Dura- ace chain and take my ultegra one off. Maybe I am wrong, but normally a bike will not fix its-self. Have any of you folks had any problems like this? I also feel I have been more than patient with the shop and I still am not angry, just wanting to ride a quite bicycle. I realize I didn't pay $10,000.00 for it, but I did pay a few thousand for it. Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know when I got my bike it had a brand new bottom bracket that clicked. The guy I got it from said it was cause it hadn't been broken in yet, sure enough over the next 300 or so miles the click slowly disappeared. Not saying that's your problem, but it's a hypothesis.

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
Frankie, I had issues with my new Madone as well. Not a project one but the 5 series and I had issues witrh the BB bearings on mine. There was no ryhme or reason to the clicking, mostly with more tourque though, when I experienced it .I was pretty disapointed since it was the second one I bought this year.

Sounds like we experienced different issues.

I gota be honest I don't make it to the gear combonation very often for very long :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hack, I agree with you, but it does it in a stand or while riding. I rode 35 miles today and it was aggravating. Crazy thing is this: it only does it when on the right stroke of the pedal. It sounds exactly like a chain rubbing a derailleur, but it's not touching. I am beginning to think it may be a bad crank assembly as bad as that sounds. Thanks everyone for you comments, I will keep all posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Frankie said:
Hack, I agree with you, but it does it in a stand or while riding. I rode 35 miles today and it was aggravating. Crazy thing is this: it only does it when on the right stroke of the pedal. It sounds exactly like a chain rubbing a derailleur, but it's not touching. I am beginning to think it may be a bad crank assembly as bad as that sounds. Thanks everyone for you comments, I will keep all posted.
I can certainly understand your frustration in not being able to get this resolved quickly now since you have been so patient. If the shop will not put a new chain on immediately to eliminate this component, I would suggest you order a chain from eBay yourself. Even if that is not the issue, you will be able to use either chain down the road. It would be worth it to spend $35 on a chain now if that gives you piece of mind that it is not your BB. If it is the chain, maybe the shop will replace the bad one with an equivalent replacement if you decide to order a lower cost version on your own dime.

Good luck! Jim

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I have seen old loose bearings assembled minus one ball, and not enough lube. The clicking was quiet, but drove the owner nuts until we tracked it down. And I've had my own bike make a clicking the shop couldn't track down on the stand - it was part of my shoe hitting the crank lightly each rotation.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm trying to figure out if the bike in question was the one you where on when you got hit. If so the question would be, did it make the noise before the accident? If it wasn't then all I can say is bike noises can be very difficult to track down because they don't always come from where it sounds like they do. I had a similar problem with one of my bikes and it was never determined what the cause was but eventually it just stopped.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Check for a lose spoke. I had a click on my bike every time the right crank was at the bottom of the stroke. I tryed and tried to find it and could not. one day as I was rideing I heard the sound of tnig a ling a ling as the end of the spoke came off at the hub. Then I did not have any more click, thay put a new spoke in a trued the rim and now I have no more clicking sound.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You are lucky for these two reasons. One it seems consistent. At least its not something that does it for a while and then just when you think its gone away its back. The other is that it does it on the stand. That means you can put it on the stand and make it make the noise so you can hear where its coming from.

One other thing. Make sure you are not cross chaining. When on the outer chain ring on the front (chain ring toward the right side of the bike) you want to be on the gears in the back toward the right side of the bike. The smallest chain ring up front (closest to the frame) should be used with the big gears in the back. Using the big gear in the back and the big gears in front put a side load on the chain that isn't good, but sometimes can make it slide up against the other gears in the cassette creating a rubbing noise like you describe. Doesn't look like its rubbing anything. You can usually see a rub in the cage at the front. If it sounds like its coming from the back, check that as a possibility. If the noise is coming from the back, I would suspect a bent cog, but from the front I'd guess bottom bracket too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All great comments and Noel, it is not the 2.3 I was stuck on. This bike is a Trek Project-One special build. I have made my mind up to do as follows: I am going to ride it on Tuesday and I am going to put at least 60 miles on it. If at that time she is still making the sound, I will take her to my LBS and tell them to call me when my bike is FIXED and ready to ride! I will also tell them politely if they can't fix it, please send it to Trek. I will not accept anything less. I have not even mentioned my chain has came off twice now and yesterday, it scratched my frame!!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark, I'm not sure I understand your question. I do know the chain came off at the crank sprocket to the inside. If you are asking when it popped off, I was down shifting to start up a hill. The chain probably popped off on top of the crank sprocket at or near the top of the sprocket as it rotated around. Sorry, I can't help more with the questions, but I wasn't looking at the chain at the time it popped off.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
When the chain pops off the chain ring, its usually the result of a limit screw that keeps the chain from going too far. You can find them by looking for 2 screws that are labeled L and H. Its really the same thing in the back as well, but didn't know whether the chain came off the rear wheel or the chain ring. That's an easy adjustment and your LBS should help you with that if you don't already know how to do it. A couple of other things to check before you ride. Double check a couple of things. First when you hear it, make sure the chain is not knocking the inside of the cage that the chain rides through up by the front chain rings. I have had them hit on the inside of the cage an it can be a bear to find. Also if it makes the noise when you are putting the power down, check the seat. A while back I had a seat that had a couple of screws loosen underneath and every time my weight shifted to pedal it would click. Drove me nuts (ok I know short drive) because it sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket area. Had the same kind of thing happen with the suspension on a mountain bike once too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE AS PROMISED: First off, my project -one is FIXED!! After 7 trips back to the LBS, they fixed her. I am not the expert, but it had something to do with the front derailleur not being lined up as it should have been. She is awesome at last and a pleasure to ride. I have over 400 miles on her after my 40 mile ride today. Oh yeah, when they stopped the sound, my chain has not popped of again. (knock on wood) lol lol So with all that said, thanks for the input and ride safe. Thanks again, Frankie.

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
UPDATE AS PROMISED: First off, my project -one is FIXED!! After 7 trips back to the LBS, they fixed her. I am not the expert, but it had something to do with the front derailleur not being lined up as it should have been. She is awesome at last and a pleasure to ride. I have over 400 miles on her after my 40 mile ride today. Oh yeah, when they stopped the sound, my chain has not popped of again. (knock on wood) lol lol So with all that said, thanks for the input and ride safe. Thanks again, Frankie.
Frustrating process I'm sure! Glad you finally git it fixed but it sounds like they should have found that much sooner.

My buddy just went through a deal with his front derailuer being perfectly adjusted but being a pain to get to the big chain ring. After some serious investigation they figured out the pin was under sized and was backing out. A call to SRAM confirmed the problem and a new derailuer was sent.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Glade you got it fixed and thanks for telling us what it was,:thumbsup: :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts