What size road bike for someone 5'8"?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by interlago_m3, Jan 18, 2011.

1. interlago_m3

interlago_m3 New Member

When i went to bike shop, the guy from shop told me 5'8 should ride 54cm bike. But i tried my friend's bike, have below comment:
    cannondal carbon 6 -50cm too small
    specialized tarmac -52cm with high seat post, size fit but not speedy
    Kestrel RT-800 -53cm, feel little too big, but speedy

can any one give me some idea, thanks

2. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Size

You should find a good local shop with a person who can fit you. I tried the random, much better fit after i got help. Is this your first bike? Whichever bike it is, good luck and enjoy.

3. jdcaff

jdcaff New Member

a good start

That's not a bad starting place, but a good local bike shop will use a combo of this baseline measurement, how the bike 'feels' to you on test rides (which they should allow), a professional fitting, etc... There are many variables that affect the fit (long or short legs, torso, arms etc... for your overall height), all of which a good LBS will take into account. Sounds like you already have a good start with riding different frames and getting an idea of what feels right and what doesn't. Picking a bike isn't a snap decision. Analyze and enjoy the process and ultimately when you settle on one, you'll be a happier cyclist for it.

4. rich88

rich88 New Member

Lots and lots of variables you need to consider if you are looking for ideal fit. A size 54 between bike makers could be very different when it comes geometry and lengths. Research proper fitting online. There is a ton of good info available. For new riders the one criteria I wouldn't put a lot of weight on is "how is feels." A new rider has no idea how a properly fitted bike should feel. How a properly sized and fitted bike feels initially will change as you become more fit and accustomed to the cycling position.

5. Garilia

Garilia New Member

There are too many body type variations to not go with a fitting, especially for a road bike, as you're more apt to spend a lot of time pedaling that thing!

I'm 5'9, and I have shorter legs and a longer torso, my standover height is under 30", on a Specialized Secteur I felt better on a 50 cm as compared to the 52, but that was just around the parking lot. Meanwhile I know people shorter than me with longer legs.

6. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

5'7" here and a 48cm fits me perfect. But everyone's legs are different. But don't buy one that doesn't feel right, you will never be comfortable.

7. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

That is...interesting.
    I am 5'10" and and very well fit to a 58 cm road bike.

Use a fit calculator.

8. Garilia

Garilia New Member

Yup, you're only about an inch taller than me, but I'm thinking of a 50. Maybe I need a Nut Bra to increase my standover height!

9. flanderscycling

flanderscycling New Member

Hey guys, size is not the most important