Two Spoke Forums banner

What the heck exactly is Zwift?

13K views 125 replies 14 participants last post by  Dos_Ruedas 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That is a good article that covers the Zwift simulation itself. Realize that there is also a Zwift Mobil Link App (ZML) that has features that the Zwift simulation does not offer (and vica versa).

Using the Zwift chat module (in the article), it is quite easy to miss a message. Using ZML, you can have a private (or direct) channel with one or more riders. This is very important for any small group ride. The easiest way to have a direct channel in ZML is to click on the Messages tab, then the Direct message button. A list of riders, with your followers at the top is right there. You select the rider(s) and then have a direct text chat. It does not go away like the Zwift chat module messages.

What can go wrong?

Even though you are on a direct channel to that user, if they do not have ZML on, your text message will show up as an orange text message that will expire soon on the Zwift chat. Your fiend might not see this, might not have chat enabled to be able to see it, or ZML has stopped working (again!).

If you use ZML and it stops working, you simply stop and restart your wifi on your device. ZML will start up again and all chats will still be there. ZML is a very unreliable app and it takes constant vigilance to use it sometimes. Text communications won't work without it, though.

Joining another rider.

Only way to automatically join another rider is at the start up of Zwift, where you select route and such. Anyone you follow will show up at the top of the list. Click their name and it will ask if you want to ride with them?

I believe once you click on the rider, or you follow that rider, their dot on the map will change color.

What can go wrong?

I am not sure if the rider is notified of you following them. I can't say if I had a rider follow me to know for sure.

Rider might be kicking some butt or climbing and you enter with cold legs. Not easy! The communications I spoke of earlier become quite important. I've seen it work and I've had fun rides with people from Norway. We should be able to get going with it.

#4 ·
Come on!

Reactions: fpl1
#5 ·
https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/205055065-Zwift-Mobile-Link

Hello, Above is a link describing features of ZML.

The days of not enjoying riding a trainer are over! Enjoying Zwift is quite easy. Setup and learning to deal with issues has a learning curve, but it is worth the effort in the long run. As we learn more on how to enjoy Zwift as a small group, we will share it here in hopes of making it easier to take part.

Reactions: Dos_Ruedas
#7 ·
Sounds like Peleton only you provide the bike. I mostly don't involve computers in my riding (other than ordering parts) and bikes are not ivolved in building/modding/using computers. 3 degrees of separation thing............cool concept but I would NOT want to be jacking with tweaky bugs while trying to stay in some cyber group ride. Happenstance has a history of sucking the fun out of these type activities for me. Unless I was some sort of shut-in or stuck up on the space station, this just doesn't hold much interest for me. But you guys have fun widdit.

Reactions: John_V
#10 ·
Hello fpl1,

If you can, try and do a search of riders that use a similar setup to what you want to use. There are so many ways to connect to Zwift and each may have specific issues.

il2ride: you don't have to chase anyone. I'm not sure why you even let something like that stop you or feel the need to mention it.

We're just looking for people to enjoy Zwift with.

#11 ·
We just need to start calling il2ride sunshine :D He's just always so happy :D:D

#12 ·
Not sure what "don't have to chase anyone" comment is about. All I was getting at is that happenstance has a way of jacking with me and I'd end up working on stuff more than just being able to fire it up and use it.

As far as sunshine, I'm not always anything and yes am very happy in general....not about BS things that interfere with riding, but in general, yeah. Don't be fooled by my synical skeptical optimism as being unhappy

#13 ·
Here in NNY it's pretty much impossible to ride outside all year around so the trainer is a necessity.

For those who want to try it Zwift gives you a free trial - to see whether you like it and whether it works with what you got for sensors if you don't have a smart trainer (sorry if someone else mentioned this, didn't see it).

I absolutely loved it - it was amazing. But I'm too cheap to use it very much ;)

Also, they are allowing runners to use it for free until they work out the bugs so you'll start to see runners along the streets and roads also.

#14 ·
Yes, I forgot to mention that all that is needed to 'see' Zwift work is an email address and password. There is no need for Credit Card info until you decide after 7 days of ride time. Nothing starts until you pedal.
It is quite easy to opt out of any emails you receive.
You can run Zwift, look for the "Just Watch" button, then you'll enter on a random rider in 3rd person view. You can click riders on the list to move around and number keys give different views. I use first person view (#3).

Today I learned the Zwift direct chat was very difficult to use as it is one way direct connection. Not easy while riding, only usable when stopped.

Jeff, I'll connect my phone to the server next time I ride.

Reactions: fpl1 and rola643
#17 ·
It's a lot easier if you use voice recognition on your phone - then all you need to do is press to chat and click the microphone icon (if on Android).

Today I learned the Zwift direct chat was very difficult to use as it is one way direct connection. Not easy while riding, only usable when stopped.

#18 ·
^ even easier if you use voice activated :D I could see where that could get a "busy" or "noisy" background though. I used it that way today with no issues tho.

#19 ·
Yes I agree, but note:

- Riding usually without glasses on. Hard to proof read.
- Voice and spelling checker suggestions can make some racy messages by mistake. :)

Absolute worst thing about this in Zwift is it is very difficult to do a private connection while riding as there is no easy way to find the other rider's name to create the connection.

It seems to me the chat was added as an afterthought. It should not be that hard.

#20 ·
I find it amazing I still learn from Zwift after so much riding.

My KickR smart trainer Zwift interface has a slider now called Trainer Difficulty (TD). It used to be named "Gradient", but this new name is much scarier and will keep most people from changing the setting (thus making Zwift easier and thus more enjoyable).

My first outdoor rides taught me I had been doing the wrong things in Zwift. Those fancy cyber bike and wheel upgrades (also meant to make Zwift more fun) can make trainer riding much easier and thus, less effective.

I am back on my steel frame bike with the old heavy wheels. I set my TD slider to 100% and learned the following. My shifting has to be perfect, timing and technique-wise, just as in real life riding. I now need every single cog at the right time, before it gets hard to pedal. I now go uphill faster than ever, downhill, too!

The TD slider can be thought of as a cyber torque converter, similar to what a snowmobile uses. It shifts automatically by changes to load and or power. Slider at 0% has the most effect for this. You shift your bike less manually.

The good: Easier riding, less shifting.

The bad: You lose a ton of power going uphill! Pedaling harder just increases your cadence and you go slower.

Heck with that! Real life riding is hard all the time. Train the same way. :)

Next race I am in, I am wussing out like all the others. heheh

#22 ·
100% trainer difficulty is the best thing I have done in Zwift.

"ZF18" group rides are very good and I will be taking part in many more of them. I will probably do a race this weekend as a HIT workout.

#23 ·
I found it ironic that you had mentioned this and this came up in either my FB feed or twitter, can't remember which now.

I messed with it once a long time ago. I've found no real need to play with it personally. Radio Tower hurts no matter how I ride it. There is also a big difference whether you ride it ERG mode or not. It's much easier to maintain in ERG mode than during a free ride for sure.

I found this interesting as well.

Reactions: lectrichead
#24 ·
#25 · (Edited)
They do help... I played with some of those settings early on in Beta, but have found it to be pretty stable nowadays with the same video card.

I have been pretty happy with all the featues they have on it. They really did their homework.

#26 ·
Hello,

I spent some time tweaking my Nvidia settings and I can now run full screen mode without rider surges and get up to 140 fps (near the radio tower). Very happy too. :)

The big thing for me was the Phys-X setting. I have never used a simulator that used Phys-X before.

The latest update this week seemed to do some optimizing on the coding side (IMHO).

#27 ·
You can really tell Zwift is done for the Winter. Event schedule is pretty lacking now. If only the weather would cooperate here!

#28 ·
I noticed this the other night in a workout. Kinda cool updates

#29 ·
Yes, ZML is now called Zwift Companion App and that workout screen looks great though I have not done a workout yet. Much more stable. I now have no more drops!

I am hearing rumors about a new map (I know...). This is really exciting news if so. I have a feeling they are going to come out with some good changes now that it is the shoulder seasons all around the world. Next winter Zwift will be a bigger thing in the US, where most don't even know that it exists.

I have Zwift optimized really well through Nvidia settings.

I hope to do the Garneau Sportive @ 1200 hrs central today as it is winter here again. For what it is worth, I will have my phone connected to my Discord server when doing so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.