What to eat while riding

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Skidmark, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Let start by saying I have lost seventy five pounds. Had been eathing lousy for a lot of years, then started riding and trying to learn about eating right so I could loose and keep it off. I am fifteen pounds below my goal now and my bride has been telling me I dont eat enough. I now love riding! My meal before riding was 250 - 300 calories of fruit and yogurt. Then during ride 90 more calories in a energy bar. Rides are 90 to 180 minutes average.

This past week I had problems riding on three different rides. After working out, I got on my bike and rode about twenty miles each time. Its been windy but I actually enjoyed the challange of the hard kick an my into the wind leg. Problem was I started to get cramps about half way home. Not to bad but it also came with feeling cold, and light headed for hours after. Actually not feeling right until after dinner. My bride being a practioner in the Medical field says to me yesterday during a easy thirty one mile ride with a stop at the farmers market in he middle says "Your blood sugar is dropping to low". What? "You should know you are not eating enough protien" Why should I know that! Wasnt born knowing that and never learned it eating double cheese bergers either. Well, today I work out hard, get on the bike and kick it hard for two hours. Half of which was into twenty five mph wind, and on the return leg I had cranked it up to twenty seventh and gear spun that out going down wind. It felt awesome. When I got back I felt great! I had doubled my protien during the day plus additional calories during the ride. Today 500 calories of protine before, then the energy bar during. I may gain back a few pounds but I am thrilled to feel good after riding.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You need to read up on nutrition in a big way. I have reactive hypoglycemia, and know all too well about getting balanced nutrition. A good workout requires paying even closer attention. My missus is diabetic, and she's not afraid of sticking my finger for a blood test, so I try to keep on top of things.

3. Skidmark

I could not agree with you more sir! Reading and research on the topic is paramount in my mind. With three PA's in the family and a personal trainer / nutrition expert for a sister in law you would think I would already have a basic grasp of the situation. To many years of poor eating, and this past year of living off body fat while working it off left me blind sided by this event. The learning curve can be painful at times.

4. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I am so happy you have lost all that weight.

You are doing good, keep up the good work.

Have a happy life!

5. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Well skid, at least you learned it by being weak and feeling rotten for a few hours instead of losing consciousness and crashing your bike in front of a truck. Good point to bring the knowledge here also, you never know when that little nugget put into someones mind will help them avoid the same problems down the road. Sounds like it is definitely time to wear out the personal trainer nutritionist in your family. What good is family if you can't drive them nuts with your questions. Hope you get it sorted out so you can keep on keeping on.

6. Skidmark

Thanks for the kid words! Grape you are so right. When its happening you dont think clearly. That light headed feeling is very scary when you are twenty miles from home and no clue whats wrong.
    I have discovered that maintance of weight is a big challange. Eating right and working out is not, at least so far. My mind is pretty much fixated on a number to maintain for weight. Had a discussion last evening while riding with one of my daughters about NOT watching the number on the scale, rather focus on my clothes size. Says Im building mussle, weighs more, scale number means less because waste size is not getting bigger. If I try to maintain a number then, my body is EATING my mussle. If clothes get snug, cut back eating. Thats a challanging mindset after a year of being foucsed on getting to a number. All part of the learning curve but its more complicated than I had realized. Now following Hacks advise and studying up on it!