Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have have 1991 Marin Stinson that is almost completly stock. I bought it about a year ago from an antique dealer. It still had the original tires when I bought it. I love the bike and want to just make it more up to date and smoother all around.

I am posting the original components from the bike from the 1991 Marin Catalogue. (Hopefully it is big enough to read)

FYI - I have replace the seat, seat post, pedels, grips, and tires. The profile pic is the bike in question.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Maybe the seat, definitely the cables and housing, brake pads, and handlebar tape. Other then that, unless something is broken beyond repair, I wouldn't make any other major changes, so that you don't comprise the bikes authenticity

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Industry_Hack said:
You've already replaced the tires, so brakes and levers are the only things I would bother with.
Any recommendations on what type to get?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
You could stick with cantilever brakes, and just upgrade to some Avids, or switch to Avid v-brakes. SunTour canti brakes were as effective as old school Campy road brakes. They slowed you down, but that was about it.

As for the above post - he's right about cables and housing if they're not in good shape. Otherwise, nothing is gained.

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Industry_Hack said:
You've already replaced the tires, so brakes and levers are the only things I would bother with.
When you say "levers" I am assuming you this is the same as shifters?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Brake levers. If you switch to v-brakes, you'll need new ones. It's not economical to replace your shifters, nor should you have to. They will outlast anything newer.

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise and clarification.

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upgraded to avid v brakes, levers, and cables today.

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is like a night and day difference. I have to admit, I did not think it would make that big of a difference, but I stand corrected. I locked them up a couple of times still thinking I was running the old brakes.

·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts