Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm looking to purchase a bike but I'm not sure what type of bike I need.
I ride on sidewalks, roads and dirt trails. (nothing too rough). When I go out riding I usually ride 25-40 miles a couple times a week.
My budget is around $1600.00 maybe a few hundred more tops. But I don't want to invest that much money on the wrong bike for my needs.
I'm looking for something with a flat bar. I guess. Can someone give me information or suggestions. Thanks.
 

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
After a comfort bike and 2 flat bar bikes I baught a steel Touring bike with road bars and brifters and disc brakes. it is the most comfy of my bikes has low 34 gear for climeing and a11 for hi speed it has a tripple 50 39 30 and is a 9 speed, with 700x32 tires makes a nice comfy package. I thaught that flat bar was what I wanted untill I road a wile with the road bars there are many hand posisions, and I have a short top tube that makes for a not too bent over bike. My bike is an Jamis Aurora Elite and I realy like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wild said:
After a comfort bike and 2 flat bar bikes I baught a steel Touring bike with road bars and brifters and disc brakes. it is the most comfy of my bikes has low 34 gear for climeing and a11 for hi speed it has a tripple 50 39 30 and is a 9 speed, with 700x32 tires makes a nice comfy package. I thaught that flat bar was what I wanted untill I road a wile with the road bars there are many hand posisions, and I have a short top tube that makes for a not too bent over bike. My bike is an Jamis Aurora Elite and I realy like it.
Do you think it can do well with sidewalks. Can you ride more upright with road bars?
 

·
Member
Joined
·
889 Posts
You sound like you would be well off with a hybrid. It will be light and fast enough for riding on road yet a little sturdy for gravel paths and light trails. In regards to a drop bars versus a flat bar, it's a matter of comfort. There are more hand positions on a drop bar and with a stem angled upwards you can get it in a more comfortable (higher) position.

You should be able to get plenty of bike for $1600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
Which do you think you may want to ride more? I am going to make a suggestion that might seem odd. You may be better off with two bikes. A road bike can be had first that will serve you best on the roads, and then a lower to mid range mountain bike for the occasional trail. If you really want the most comfortable ride, for most people that is a recumbent. It will not do well on trails, but I think you might be better off on two different bikes than trying to find a compromise, even if one of the bikes has to wait a few months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zero3one said:
You sound like you would be well off with a hybrid. It will be light and fast enough for riding on road yet a little sturdy for gravel paths and light trails. In regards to a drop bars versus a flat bar, it's a matter of comfort. There are more hand positions on a drop bar and with a stem angled upwards you can get it in a more comfortable (higher) position.

You should be able to get plenty of bike for $1600.
Do you have any suggestions on which hybrid? I would like a good hybrid with real good components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
photosbymark said:
Which do you think you may want to ride more? I am going to make a suggestion that might seem odd. You may be better off with two bikes. A road bike can be had first that will serve you best on the roads, and then a lower to mid range mountain bike for the occasional trail. If you really want the most comfortable ride, for most people that is a recumbent. It will not do well on trails, but I think you might be better off on two different bikes than trying to find a compromise, even if one of the bikes has to wait a few months.
I have a mountain bike. But I don't think I want a road bike because I've never ridden one. I guess a hybrid is more for me. Any suggestions?
 

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
One thing how much does your bike weigh?
The bike with fenders ,lights, rear rack, disc brakes, pump, 2 watter bottles full, under seat bag loaded, and a small front bag with rain gear, went 38# on my cantillion scale.
As for sidewalks, I am not sure what you mean Do you mean jumping curbs to get on the side walk, If so I don't know, we have no sidewalks here in the swamp.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wild said:
The bike with fenders ,lights, rear rack, disc brakes, pump, 2 watter bottles full, under seat bag loaded, and a small front bag with rain gear, went 38# on my cantillion scale.
As for sidewalks, I am not sure what you mean Do you mean jumping curbs to get on the side walk, If so I don't know, we have no sidewalks here in the swamp.
No jumping curves.
 

·
Eocyclist
Joined
·
742 Posts
The bike with fenders ,lights, rear rack, disc brakes, pump, 2 watter bottles full, under seat bag loaded, and a small front bag with rain gear, went 38# on my cantillion scale.
That sure is a pretty bike, Wild.

My wife really likes her 2009 Jamis Aurora.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
889 Posts
Do you have any suggestions on which hybrid? I would like a good hybrid with real good components.
Brands pretty much all come down to personal preference I find. I would be biased towards Specialized since I have 2 of them as well as one for my wife. But I think there are some out there that are a good bang for the buck. I think Giant and Jamis bikes are pretty easy to come by and also a good bang for the buck but I'm more than sure there are plenty out there. Have a look around your neighbourhood and visit some of the local shops till you find one you like and trust.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top