Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
retromike3
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done riding an old steal mountain bike that I converted over for road bike use. It has 26 by 1.5 tires and a eight speed 11-32 cassette. With a single 34 tooth chainring in the front I have a ninety seven inch top gear and almost a one to one low. Its very stable and simple. the brakes are V-brake clones so it will stop on a dime. The question is do we "need" anything else just to get from one place to another? B.T.W. I had fun riding it, I wasn't concentrating on getting there faster I was just cruising along enjoying the ride. I even stopped and talked to the neighbors. When was the last time riding someplace was just fun? Not training or commuting just riding.

Mike

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
As far as NEED goes, it's either:

steel rigid SS with calipers; or

coaster-brake cruiser.

Anything above that is luxury.

And OOOOHHHHH BOY, do I like my luxury! So does my near-crippled back....

Finished my HT buildup last month -- it lasted one ride. Beat me to DEATH! Fit was all wrong (or I just didn't know how bad off I was when I was riding it), and the ride was pure misery. Stripped it right back down, and now the frame is wall art... forever.

·
speedfan
53 Posts
Fun

I have started riding a single, it is bringing fun back to biking. I had forgotten that getting faster was not that important. Our wants are sometimes confused with needs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts