Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an Apollo mountain bike and I want to know if it would be better to put slicks on my mountain bike and what would the increases be to my average speed and max speed

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I would say puting slicks on will not give you the gain changeing to a road bik would.
My ¢¢

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
You're not going to get road bike performance from a mountain bike (weight, aerodynamics, gearing, energy lost in the suspension, etc). At least not dollar for dollar. But no doubt you would see a pretty good gain in performance going to a road friendly tire. As far as how much performance, too many variables to say. It's a reasonably cheap thing to try out. Pick up a set of tires and give it a whirl.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Let's say you put high pressure slicks on your mountain bike and on a twenty mile ride you average 15-16 mph. I would believe that on a reasonably equipped road bike you would increase your speed to 17-19 mph. I'm purely guessing. We have a guy in our club that can hang at 25 mph on his slick tired mountain bike in a group. On his road bike 28-30 mph rides are common. He is an exceptional athlete though.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Is your Apollo a traditional 26 or a 29er? My 29er will smoke my old traditional MTB. I'd be curious to see how it would do with slick tires. With strong enough legs anything is possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the most important thing to obtain greater speed is your body postition. Road bikes aid you in fighting wind resistance better than a mountain bike. Yes you will go faster with wide slicks on a mountain bike ......just not road bike fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get these types of questions all the time in my shop. It honestly depends on how serious you are about your riding. Mountain bikes are for riding mountains and trails, they are designed to best operate in a mountain/trail setting. Road bikes are made for road (paved) conditions, their purpose is to put down miles as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you're riding primarily road and wish to increase your time performing such activities, GET A ROAD BIKE. But if you still intend to ride offroad, a descent pair of road slicks for a 26" mountain bike will run you about $60-$80. Much cheaper than a $900 entry-level road bike. (for future reference if you decide to purchase a road bike: do not cheap out on it, you'll hate the experience and may spend hundreds and hundreds in upgrades to the bike. Expect to pay somewhere in the high $700's for a descent, entry-level road bike)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I could probably put out the arguement that a road bike is still not the most efficient way to put down miles under human power only, but this is the wrong forum for that discussion. To put out 75 to 200 watts less at any given speed you'll have to visit a different forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Better in what extend?

You will save a lot of money. Will you get the same performance.. obviously not.

There are few main disadvantages - tires, wheels, suspension (if you have), position on the bike, gearing.

I've done it once - I installed slick 26x1.50, rigid Kona fork, lovered and stretched the position. The bike was not heavy ~25 lbs and on the road I could make 18-19 mls for an hour but of course with much more effort compare to road bike... always on smallest cog.

I replaced it with the hybrid (w 700 wheels) and it was already an improvement... but still not the road bike.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Given that he's riding an Apollo, that tells me two things. First, he's probably in Australia, where bikes are not exactly inexpensive. Second, if he's got an Apollo, it may just be because he's not made of money. They're good bikes, and affordable. If his budget doesn't permit another bike, then the improvement he'll get with slicks would be worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts