Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found and bought an old bike a couple weeks ago. See pics below and am wondering should I try and restore it or try and clean it up and throw some new parts on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The first thing you need to do is tell us more about it. Manufacturer model etc. Second go to The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange - The Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange and post there. Those guys can tell you everything about it. Third, DO NOT change any of the parts unless they are completely useless. The worst thing you can do to a bike like this is modify it, especially if it is mostly original which it appears to be. A light cleaning is all that is required. If it were mine I would gently clean it and remove any rust from the moving parts, put some good tires on it, lube it and ride it as is. The bike has more value to a collector with original parts even if they are rusted or faded. Restored bikes are usually not as valueable as unrestored bikes that are operational.

·
gnar! gnar! gnar!
179 Posts
Keep all the original parts, for a potential restore later, and fit all new parts to the frame= awesome! New: 3 piece crank, some nice black rims, shimano deore hubs, sweet shifters, fork, front hydro disk brakes. Win! Make it a head-turning piece of machinery.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Hell that bike is killer as is. Me I would probably leave the old bike as is maybe clean it up a bit regrease everything and just leave it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not yet been working alot of OT (7 12 hour nights for 2 weeks) I also bought some more bikes at the dump for a good price.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
How can one find out what will and will not work on a bike?

Just gotta do your research on them some bikes just get fully restored others you can do whatever you want to them.

Again research is the big key on them pretty much bikes or cars

1 - 9 of 9 Posts