"What's a hybrid bicycle?"

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by SteveM, Jun 11, 2009.

1. SteveM

SteveM New Member

2. wildroot

wildroot New Member

I think hybrids are great for 1st bikes or for someone who is starting up again. They are fairly comfortable and the wheels roll easier than a MTB.

3. memorex88

memorex88 New Member

Trek has 2 categories for hybrids, Urban & Bike Path. But is seems the bicycle community in general has settled with Hybrid for these types.

4. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

What would you say the Jamis Allegro 2x is urbain or bike path

5. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

6. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Specialized makes a bike called Cross Trail as well. A bit wider tires.

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

It's a bike that runs on a giant cell phone battery and is ridden by celebrities who want to be thought of as "green" like Cameron Diaz, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, and George Clooney.:p

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  8. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

LOL :eek:

9. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

So a hybride have a linear pull brake or disk brake, instead of cantilever brake for the cyclocross
    and the handlebar is a flatbar or monkeybar on a hybride and we have a regular road handlebar on a cyclocross and the last most difference is the tire on hybride we gonne have a 700x32-35 with hard rolling surface for a cyclocross we have a tire with more grip on the tire side .... just take a look to the pictures ....

cyclocross bike
    [​IMG]

hybride bike
    [​IMG]

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

A cross between a road bike and MTB, where an upright riding position and comfort are given design precedence over performance.

Variations include the flat bar road bike, which is technically a hybrid, yet offers excellent performance at the higher end of the price scale.

11. shortz

shortz New Member

they are not trail bikes. at least not a trail with any elevation or regular bumpy terrain. most don't have shocks and the tires are semi-slicks. you get rattled in these... but they are quick!

12. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Flat-bar roadbike.

Attached Files:

13. Casualcyclist

Casualcyclist New Member

So is my Trek Navigator2 (as in my avatar) a hybrid?

14. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Yup.

15. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

Probably falls within a sub-category of Hybrids called comfort bikes.

16. Casualcyclist

Casualcyclist New Member

Yeah, Trek refers to it as a comfort bike, which for me, it is.

It is just the ticket for what I want and need at this time, I am very pleased with it.:)

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Awesome their the best of two worlds. I used to ride one when I borrowed and it was smooth on street and dirt. I miss it but my neighbor moved(divorced) now I don't have one.:(

18. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

My Trek hybrid is my favorite bike of the four I have. I am planning on swapping the handle bar for a mustache or albatros bar and I'm going to swap the grip shifters for friction end bar shifters. It has more of a road geometry than MTB so it should look really good.

19. QueSera

QueSera DAD x 2

My “newbie” testimony, by comparing with 4 different mountain bikes my friends own, is that a Hybrid is by far more confy to ride, more enjoyable on the road. It is also faster. On the other side, all of the controls are more “elegant” less rugged. Many parts are plastic instead of metal on the MTBs. Hence it is not able to take the beating any ΜΤΒ would.
    So a Hybrid may not replace an MTB on a mountain in the same way an MTB may not compete the Hybrid on the road. It is up to the user to clearly define his goals and make the right decision…