Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to ask this. I just started riding and wanted to buy a bag to attache to a rear rack. I want to get one that I'm sure would stay on and be easy to remove. I've looked at what Bontrager has to offer and they look fine but I have no history. Help please.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
My wife and I have used Topeak trunk bags and racks for the past 7 years. The attachment system is incredibly easy to use. Just slide the bag on and it locks. Push a tab to unlock it, slides it off.

They have several styles of bags, including one with fold down panniers. The panniers are cloth, so they'er not going to carry real heavy or sharp objects, but they are more than sufficient for general utility or light credirt card touring.

I have the standard MTX bag. A typical load includes tools, snacks, a jacket and camera. Leave out the camera and jacket, and it can hold a half gallon of milk, or bottle of wine, or a couple of reasonably sized books.

My wife has the MTX with fold down side panniers. On utility runs, she can carry 2 loaves of bread and 2 half gallons of milk. The bag + panniers has enough room to pack all she needs for a three day credit card tour.

More Topeak bags and Topeak Racks from the Topeak web site.

The Topeak Explorer MTX rack has a 40 lb limit and is suitable for fully loaded touring with standard panniers. For loaded touring, the Explorer MTX rack does not have room to hold standard panniers and the trunk bag at the same time. If you want to carry both standard panniers and a trunk bag, the Super DX Tourist has the additional mounting rails.

Some examples of the bags and racks on my Surly LHT and my wife's Jamis Aurora:
{The standard panniers are Arkel T42 and T18}

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a preference for the Toprak rack and bags as well. The slide/clip system is very secure and the only way to loose a bag is if you don't slide it into the rails or if you just plain forget it. I have 4 different size bags I use.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sunlite now has a similar system as well. It's a lot less expensive than the Topeak versions, but you have to deal with your conscience about the "copied design" thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts