Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another forum, I have chronicled the life of my shop from opening (11/09) until the present. It seems to be a popular topic, so I thought people here might enjoy seeing the day to day of a bike shop from the owner's perspective.

Today brought new boxes of joy to the shop.

Box-o-SRAM (and assorted other bits)

Box of stuff from Velo Orange

Mmmmm....Cyfac......

Cyfac-branded headset (Stronglight) and headset spacers, with other bits.

It really isn't yellow... It's green. I've discovered that it is almost impossible to photograph this paint colour. I tried it with fluorescent, I tried it with incandescent, I tried it with sunlight. It comes out yellow.

Here it is with some Apex parts on it.

Built weight (no pedals)

All done.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
On another forum, I have chronicled the life of my shop from opening (11/09) until the present. It seems to be a popular topic, so I thought people here might enjoy seeing the day to day of a bike shop from the owner's perspective.

Today brought new boxes of joy to the shop.

Box-o-SRAM (and assorted other bits)

Box of stuff from Velo Orange

Mmmmm....Cyfac......

Cyfac-branded headset (Stronglight) and headset spacers, with other bits.

It really isn't yellow... It's green. I've discovered that it is almost impossible to photograph this paint colour. I tried it with fluorescent, I tried it with incandescent, I tried it with sunlight. It comes out yellow.

Here it is with some Apex parts on it.

Built weight (no pedals)

All done.

How do you like the Velo Orange stuff? It looks like awesome stuff but I've heard some say it's over prices junk.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Very nice, man! I wish I lived closer, so I could stop by. Too bad I don't still have a reason to drive I-70 to Indianapolis for the USGP once a year, because I'd definitely make a slight detour.

·
173 Posts
Platy, keep up the running commentary!! Please! One sexy bike! Be glad I don't live in the
same town with you, be down at your shop just to see what's new every week!! LOL!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing with is, subscribed!
I enjoy posting updates about the shop. Even though I've been open almost 2 years now, it's still new and exciting (and stressful, demoralizing, depressing, etc.)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I suppose I should go back a little to show you what the store actually looks like so you don't just have bits and pieces from the other pictures. This was a recent update from last week.

J&B is having a closeout sale. I've bought a bunch of stuff for cheap while I can. These (Kenda Komfort) are one of my best-selling tires. They had white-wall versions on sale. I bought 20.

CBC loves s*cks.....

Now stocking Limar helmets.

Shimano helps me sell people on SRAM more than anything else... This guy JUST put Dura Ace on his bike after his Ultegra shifters were destroyed in a crash. He rode the bike twice, then loaned it to a girl to ride at Little 5 (DePauw University). She crashed. Left shifter = dead. He's replacing all of it with SRAM Force now. I bought his "old" Dura Ace stuff.

What you see when you leave CBC.

My collection of toys on top of the bookcase by the door. I just bought the "cow on wheels" at the 'Fair on the Square' last weekend.

Saw this parked outside the shop the other night...

A Schwinn in for tires, chain, tune-up, and bar tape.

This is the WORST bike I have EVER gotten in for repair. Bent back wheel, sat in a garage for 3 years.

Happy CBC customer - Elizabeth with her new Raleigh Port Townsend.

Happy CBC customer - Mark with his Raleigh Revenio 4.0.

That crappy barn bike after tune-up, new wheel, new shifters, new v-brakes, and new freewheel. Yes, I tried to talk him out of fixing it. Bill total = $101.64

Schwinn after tune-up, etc.

A Klein I need to sell. It's a 1997 or thereabouts. 105 8 speed group. Doesn't have many miles on it. This was Mark's. He rides a 54. This is a 57. Ergo, he didn't ride it much. Think $500 is too much?

Picked up a bunch of tri jerseys on closeout.

The growing tri section....

Moved the helmets over with the shoes.

Rearranged things a bit. Opens the floor up a little (that's Mya the shop cat, since y'all haven't been introduced to her yet. There's another cat also; Sprocket.)

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Cyfac looks green in the outdoor photos. I love these posts.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
I don't think I've ever been in a bike shop that DIDN'T have a shop cat. LOL!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Platy, does the bath room also serve as the changing/fitting room? Sprocket is a nice, original name for a bike shop cat.
The shop was a suntan studio at one point. There are 6 rooms plus the bathroom down the hall, so no... there's a changing/fitting room, a used bike room, a storeroom, a bedroom (for me if I work late or bicycle tourists who stop here), the cat room (litter boxes, etc), another storeroom, and the bathroom.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The shop was a suntan studio at one point. There are 6 rooms plus the bathroom down the hall, so no... there's a changing/fitting room, a used bike room, a storeroom, a bedroom (for me if I work late or bicycle tourists who stop here), the cat room (litter boxes, etc), another storeroom, and the bathroom.
But you do allow customers to try on things like bike jersey's in one of the rooms with a door correct?

Also are you set up for online ordering directly from your shop?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But you do allow customers to try on things like bike jersey's in one of the rooms with a door correct?

Also are you set up for online ordering directly from your shop?
It would be silly to have a fitting room yet not allow people to try on clothes....

No, I don't sell online (for the most part). Many of my seller agreements forbid it. I guess it's only okay for certain companies to do so.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you like the Velo Orange stuff? It looks like awesome stuff but I've heard some say it's over prices junk.
I love Velo Orange stuff. There are a few things that aren't quite as well-made as I'd like, but those things are usually priced accordingly. The majority of the items they have are excellent. Rims, for instance. I love their rims. Their cranks are very nice too, as are their racks, fenders, and bags.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
I love Velo Orange stuff. There are a few things that aren't quite as well-made as I'd like, but those things are usually priced accordingly. The majority of the items they have are excellent. Rims, for instance. I love their rims. Their cranks are very nice too, as are their racks, fenders, and bags.
My crank is about worn out and I was looking at their triple cranks. Nice!

·
1,355 Posts
I like this post. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the pics of the happy customers standing with their new bikes. I think that is something we can all relate with.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like this post. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the pics of the happy customers standing with their new bikes. I think that is something we can all relate with.
Yeah... you should have seen me when I was un-boxing my Cyfac Vintage Rando frameset....

1 - 20 of 245 Posts