What's the Average length of your long bicycle ride?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by funetical, Nov 10, 2009.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm riding forty three miles this weekend weather permitting and I was wondering what's the average length of you long hauls?

2. Smiley

Smiley New Member

In the summer we do around 50 if we aren't training for a century ride, then we do more.

3. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

20 a day 4 days a week. Still growing that number tho. Haven't been in the saddle that long. :)

4. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

Based on all my rides: Jan 20, Feb 29, March 34, April 34, May 42, June 33, July 52, Aug 39, Sep 50, Oct 47 and Nov 44 but these are estimates.....

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  5. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

22-25 mi/day until clock change, now 15-18 and come home in the dark....daylight savings time sucks!!!!!

I try to ride at least an hour+ per day, distance depends on how much UP and how much WIND.....

DrB

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

So really 40 miles isn't that long of a ride?

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

40 can be a long ride, depending on YOUR ride; 40 on a MTB is a bit tougher than 40 on a road bike. Wider tires, less aero, more weight....

I did a local charity tour a few years ago -- supposed to be 35 miles, poorly marked course, we got lost and did 50 that day.

That, and every year, AT LEAST ONCE, my bud & I do the local MUP in its entirety -- presently 46 miles RT.

8. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I like to call it "daylight wasting time"

9. chh55

2 short rides on weeknights (none between mid Oct- mid Apr) are usually 30-40 and a long one on the weekend around 60-70. Here in Sweden it's just too dark and nasty for the evening rides during the above mentioned period so it's off to the gym for spinning instead.

10. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Compared to my longest ride, 40mi is a quest!! Besides..I don't wanna make my bike rack lonely.

8 miles (and counting):D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  11. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Funetical, maybe I missed it, but I never saw an update after your big ride. How was it?

12. crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead Guest

My average long ride is now over 60. My average weekly is 100+ and rapidly approaching 150. Over the next few months I'll be doing long rides of 90 to 100 with weekly totals of 200+

getting ready for a cross country tour next summer

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Put it in the blog. Bad Friends kid got sick and ended bending my rear rim screwing around in the city. I'm never trying it ever again.

14. Smiley

Smiley New Member

WHat?? YOu must give some details here, I don't like reading blogs!!!

15. Xela

See that now. It's a rather short entry, Smiley. Don't get too frustrated, Funetical. Crap happens! Tell your buddy he owes you a beer or four for indirectly causing all of that.

I thought I never want to ride again after a totally miserable Hotter'n Hell a few years back, especially with the unmentionable practice I was subjected to in the medical tent. But I'm glad I got back going.

Like you said at the end, "maybe next weekend."

16. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

First Funetical now Xela leave us hanging for more details.

I'm with Smiley on this, what happened Funetical?

Xela, can you at least hint what happened? Saddle sores put on exhibit for all the docs, nurses, attendants, candy stripers, administrators, doormen, passerbyes?
    Turn to the right and cough? Prostate exam? Come on!

17. Xela

Let's just say I wish they would have taken my temperature under my arm. I'll also say that unsaid method of temperatue determination made me bleed. :(

18. chh55

Tender gums Xela??;)

19. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

That's one way to put it.:D