What's the coolest car you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Road Runner, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

I had a 78 Corvette that got a lot of attention. But my favorite was my 1968 Road Runner. I owned it for 42 years. It looked exactly like this.

68 RR.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Dos_Ruedas and longjohn like this.
  2. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

My actual pics kind of suck. :(

RR in 79-1.jpeg

MarthaLovesCheese likes this.

3. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

Sadly I never took pictures of my cars. I have a few from here and there but they are more sucky than yours. My 55 Chevy in high school was cool. My 63 Falcon Futura Convertible with the V8 and Hurst floor shifter was definitely cool in my mind. I also owned a 1950 Plymouth panel truck that someone had bought off the military and swapped out the straight six with a hemi V8 and push button tranny. I traded even up my 400 Suzuki Cyclone racing bike for that after I got married and my wife and I made many memories in that thing.

4. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

When I click on your link, it doesn't work. But if I copy and paste, it works fine. :confused:

Nice car. :) 64 Mopars are very cool.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  6. Road Runner

Road Runner Member

I currently own an 07 Mustang GT with 765 miles on the odometer. I'm thinking of selling it.

7. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  8. lectrichead

lectrichead Active Member

cutlass79.GIF Even though I was into photography for some reason I have hardly any photos of my favorite car from when I was young.

But here's one of the few I have of my '79 Olds Cutlass Salon. I put thousands into this car, I loved that sucker. I went through many engines until I finally settled on a remanufacturerd Olds Rocket 403 from a model a few years earlier and matching transmission.

People either loved it or hated it because of the slope back trunk and there were few like it around.

It was a great car, and quite fast after all of the work and money I put into it. I had a lot of adventures in it, and you could stuff quite a number of bikes in the trunk and people in the car.

Dos_Ruedas and newleaf150 like this.
  9. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

I have had a few cool cars (to me they were cool).

87 944 Porsche
    65 mustang with a 302 from a hertz weekend racer and three speed
    71 karmann ghia
    89 325i with almost every type of mod you can do (won its class at autocross two years in a row)
    87 735i 5 speed
    05 mini cooper s with suspension, exhaust, and oversized pulled on supercharger
    87 wrangler with a 4.5l stroker and than a 302 in it
    87 Cherokee with 6.5" lift and rode like a Cadillac

I am currently in the process of building two 87 325. each of my kids wanted one so one has a two door and one has a 4 door. once done with those, I will probably build one up for me, too. they are such fun little cars and get great gas mileage.

10. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

I've mostly been a family car kind of guy as I got married shortly after getting out of the service. However, the fastest car I ever had was a blue,1965 Plymouth Sports Fury with a 3/4 cam, street blown 426 (not stock, obviously). The most fun car I ever owned was a 2002 PT Cruiser that was custom painted and entered in lots and lots of auto shows. But my favorite car was my 1959 Triumph TR 6. I took this photo from a web site page - mine was red and the steering wheel was where it's suppose to be.

[​IMG]

cwtch, kneedrachen, superj and 2 others like this.
  11. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi

John, you must be getting old. That looks like a TR-3 to me. For a bonus, what does TR stand for?

12. RidesAlot

RidesAlot Well-Known Member

I'll have to scan a pic one of these days... I owned a '75 Ford Bronco back in the day.

superj likes this.
  13. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

I have no pictures but the funnest thing I had was a Chevy Luv- before they became S-10's with a 383 stroker, full roller motor, Weind tunnel ram with two 750 double pumpers finished off with a Ford 9" and pretty much nothing but meat under the a$$ end of her

Wife drove it exactly one time, spun it around and brought it back home and never even got it ever again :D

RidesAlot, superj and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  14. superj

ha ha ha, cristina did the same thing with her little 325is, almost. she wanted her own little sports car so one popped up for a really good price. I grabbed it and it turned out to be a real 87 325is, limited slip and all. she drove it all over but I warned her about being aware of gravel or damp roads because of the limited slip versus the open diff in my cars. she apparently learns by doing because she came out of Walmart at a spot that had a little gravel on the road and did a complete 360. she called me to come get her and never wanted to drive the car again. I swapped out the diffs between my 89 and her 87 and showed her the difference in take off and she went back to hot rodding around in it and never spun it again. ha ha ha

RidesAlot likes this.
  15. superj

and talking of pt cruisers, we had an 05 touring for a few years. those are really fun good little cars. keep a spare cam sensor in the back and a 10mm socket and you will never have a problem. those cars are so comfortable and feel so fun. the only thing that bothered me was gas mileage was not great but you either have good gas mileage or fun acceleration on a four cylinder wagon and that one was fun. we drove that little pt all over the usa though. it was a great family car and great road trip car

16. John_V

Please refer to the following post:
    So what age do you currently think is old. - This poster reserves the right to use the aforementioned post when incorrect information is posted. :D :D :D

Since I don't have any digital photos of the car, I did a search for 1959 Triumph TR6 and that photo came up. Yep! It's a TR3 and now you want to know what TR stands for? o_O Wasn't it Touring Roadster?

17. John_V

St Augustine 2006 39.jpg
    This is my PT taken in 2006 at a PT jamboree in St. Augustine. About 300 or so PTs attended from all over the US and Canada. It was awesome. You can't see the airbrushing on the hood and trunk of the PT next to me but it won best of show, two years in a row.

I had an 8 ball shifter and door locks along with some other 8 ball stuff in the inside of the car so I opted to do a pool hall theme. In the rear was a felt cover that covered all of the shelf and trunk space. It had a rack with a set of billiard balls and I had 4 que sticks laid out around the open lift gate. The outside of the lift gate had pin stripping on it. The lake pipes on the side are non functional but I did have a true dual exhaust connected to a cherry bomb that sounded awesome. That year, I got first place for Best Flames.

18. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi

TR stands for Tremendous Repairs! It really stands for Triumph, however with the Prince of Darkness making the electronics, they were constantly constantly needing repairs. My excursions with the Prince of Darkness included an MGB and a TR-7 convertible.

John_V likes this.
  19. superj

That is really cool. I didn't know they had a pt get together or we would have went. Cristina and i have been to a number of shows for cars we owned that were in different places.

The best was the bug-nationals in winston salem, nc. I was rushing to get my karmann ghia ready but i didn't finish in time.

My next big show to attend will be the e30 meet in norcal. Cars from all over the us show up. Mine will be a fun daily so it will be in the common parking but it will still be there. (To bad i ha e nodea what year it will be there)

John_V likes this.
  20. John_V

I didn't have mine very long. I bought it just after I got stationed in Wyoming, fresh out of boot camp. I got it from another guy stationed there who had received orders to Japan and he couldn't take the car and had no place to keep it. I had it about 7 months before I got TDY orders for Vietnam. Had the car at a friends house for the three months I was gone, came back to Wyoming only to find out he had taken it out for a spin and totaled it. He paid me the cost of the car and I ended up with my 65 Plymouth Sports Fury.

I don't recall having any electrical issues with it. Probably would have noticed had I had it a bit longer.

superj and newleaf150 like this.