Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a friend's junker for some spare change and since I'll probably strip everything off to overhaul it anyway, I might as well paint the frame while it's bare. Anyone know any super obnoxiously awesome colors? I'm thinking maybe "uranium green", "cesium blue", or even "traffic cone orange". There's also always the classic "banana peel yellow". I'm habitually forgetting my bike lights in town so I figure a bright color will keep me alive a little longer.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Get some reflective tape. I bought a big roll on eBay. Wrap the main tubes in that. In daylight, looks like a cool two-tone paintjob, and at night, it is super-reflective.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it stay on alright by itself, or would it work better if I put a clearcoat over it?

If I do that I can probably just put a rust-resistant black or white basecoat on it, which might do favors for the frame in the long run.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I'm with Brian on this one. Except I'm a fan of stickers. Getting them off my mountain bike was such a hassle, it was unbelievable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the night shot. I admit a bike would look pretty sweet if it had all three main tubes taped up like that...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you going to do top/bottom/seat tube in a big triangle, or just three strips like you have there? I can't remember if the bike I'm getting has squishy fork or not... if it doesn't then tape could probably go there. Maybe the top of the rear triangle as well.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
It will be top tube, down tube, and seat tube. The tape I bought is wide enough to wrap all the way around the tubes. I also considered doing sections on the wheels, which would make it really hard to miss.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you had small bits of tape on the spokes it could create a very interesting visual effect when viewed from the side. Maybe three little strips per spoke, every two or three spokes? Get going fast enough and your wheels will look like yoyos.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Yeah that reflective material come in various colors too!

I was thinking of getting some in black and doing the seat post and some sections(strips) on the front fork and tail.

·
Registered
567 Posts
stickers. Getting them off my mountain bike was such a hassle, it was unbelievable.
Don't wont to change thread's subject, just interject alittle FYI, but ever tried WD-40 or a heatgun? Either one of these methods remove stickers from most any material. Toulene also works wonders. Just be-sure to to test it on the underlying surface in a inconspicuous place, first. Could eat the finish down to the bare metal if the clear coat is inferior.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I used goo gone. The issue I found was the majority of the stickers had to be peeled off. When I tried to use it on high gloss sticker (which were the majority) it settled on top and took longer to penetrate the stickers. Next time I am having to remove a bunch of stickers I'll give that a try flyingdog.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Call me weird but I kind of like that color. Sort of a soft coral green. Feminine, but not unattractive if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts