Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you perform routine maintenance on your bike?

I do various tune-ups and overhauls throughout the year, with a major drivetrain overhaul probably three times a year. I like doing it, and it seems to help the bike run smoother and look better.

80% of my miles are in the summer but I ride all year, and most of the dirt and grime seems to build up in winter.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
As needed.

I wind up doing a little tweak on the cable adjustment about every other week. I check tire pressure (hand squeeze) daily, headset almost every ride (it was hard to dial in just right), and the chain gets juiced a couple times a week, more if it complains.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I forgot about tires. I suppose I check/refill air once a week or so.

When I overhauled my headset it was a real pain for about two weeks. First it was too loose, then too tight, then too loose, etc. Eventually it hit a sweet spot and I haven't messed with it since.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
It seems as though a constant stream of parts runs through my home, and I have several bikes, so there isn't usually much maintenance to be done. Tinkering, yes. Adjusting new stuff, yes. But most bits rarely hang around long enough to get worn out, so it's not really maintenance. I do that on other people's bikes.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Maintenance depends on the bike. I have eight, but only ride 2 or 3 on a regular basis. My steel singlespeed mtn bikes get regular chain lubrication and tire pressure adjustment. Everything else is as needed. Each winter they get a complete tear down. I "Frame Saver" the frames, lube and adjust everything, true the wheels if needed, and replace any worn parts.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I do regular lubrication and tire pressure adjusting, brake tinkering but as far as a full strip down it's rare unless there is a major problem.

When you strip your bikes down what positive attributes come from it? The reassembly and re-torquing of all the components?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
When you strip your bikes down what positive attributes come from it? The reassembly and re-torquing of all the components?
I only do a complete tear down on steel mtn bikes. That needs to be done to apply Frame Saver to the inside of the tubes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Winter bike boredom often leads to unnecessary repairs and overhauls, like cable housing replacement and chain cleaning. I figure next time I have a spare weekend i'll dig into my bottom bracket and dink around with it for no particular reason. I'm starting to suspect one of my cranks is frozen on, though.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
I do post-winter teardown/rebuilds to get rid of road salt -- just about ate my headset bearings a couple years ago.....

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Well 2 months and I have 726 miles, I have bin cleaning and lubing the chain and derailers and a little Triflow in the cables. By the end of the year it will go on craigslist I think and I will get a new one. I think I would like a smaller frame. By the way I am thinking of getting 2 chains with power link. Put a clean lubed chain on and clean and lube the one I take off and have it ready. I think it will help with ware on the chain rings and caset allso.

·
Rat Biker
442 Posts
Hell I'm lucky if I lube the chain and check the tires regularly though my Panasonic I am about to do some needed maintenance to it cables and new tubes so basic stuff it rides fine otherwise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts