Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,504 Posts
Over rated in MHO but wear what ya want and never push for compulsory helmet laws. I wear mine because it holds my mirror.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have always used one. last sept i has a crash where the helmet save my head from severe head injury. crack the helmet but not my head.all io had was a concussion.

my opinion : WERE ONE OR WISH YOU HAD!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,504 Posts
i have always used one. last sept i has a crash where the helmet save my head from severe head injury. crack the helmet but not my head.all io had was a concussion.

my opinion : WERE ONE OR WISH YOU HAD!
But your claim is based on semantic information because you didn't go through the same incident without a helmet. There may have been no difference. Helmets are only tested on the very top of the helmet which very rarely happens.

It would be the same if I crashed without a helmet on and survived and then claiming my blue underwear saved me.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
They can be effective in certain situations. I didn't click the link, but I'll point out that most cyclists don't get into "major accidents", they have minor spills.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Couldn't read the article because the link didn't work.

Bike helmets never were designed for protection in major collisions, such as getting hit by a truck. They are designed to “significantly reduce the force to the head when the helmet hits a hard surface.”, which they do very well. The CPSC testing methodology is listed at http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumbicyclehelmets.pdf

I have seen and heard more than enough anecdotal evidence to believe they significantly reduce the chances od concussion in falls. Having experienced a concussion, I prefer to prevent future ones while riding by always a helmet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
But your claim is based on semantic information because you didn't go through the same incident without a helmet. There may have been no difference. Helmets are only tested on the very top of the helmet which very rarely happens.

It would be the same if I crashed without a helmet on and survived and then claiming my blue underwear saved me.
the side of my helmet was crack.that could have been my head,and i would want to go thru that crash without one.

well maybe your underwear could have saved you depending on where you were wearing them!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,504 Posts
the side of my helmet was crack.that could have been my head,and i would want to go thru that crash without one.

well maybe your underwear could have saved you depending on where you were wearing them!
So your head reacts the same way a cheap piece of plastic and styrofoam would do? Really? I think you should not only wear a helmet but you should wear a motorcycle helmet cause that's one weak head ya got there.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
This has come up here before; I remember getting some flak for my position on helmets, seeing as how I've gone from a knee-jerk helmet advocate to an insistent non-user.

I will wear one for organized rides that require them; if a helmet law is passed, I will wear one until the battle to overturn it is won. They're not such an issue that I'd quit riding.

Statistics show no benefit; anecdotes do. Take your pick.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a piece in the uk metro news yesterday.
Sorry, didnt know this subject had come up just recently, have been reading others thread.

On The subject of helmets, and excuse if this has been debated before, but what is the difference between a £10 helmet and £130 helmet, or $10 and $130? Excluding aerodynamically shapes and differences in strap quality I believe pricing is ridiculous. I purchased a helmet for £29 from a cycle shop, a few weeks later in a general store in town that stocks everything from lightbulbs, paint to stationary I was picking up some car wax and a chamois leather when I noticed they were selling helmets. On closer inspection, apart from a cheaper looking red & white plastic outer overlay the helmet was exactly the same as I'd purchased, only this one was selling for £6.99.
Styrofoam is a cheap material, although its protection qualities go without saying as its used extensively but are cyclists being ripped off?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
But your claim is based on semantic information because you didn't go through the same incident without a helmet. There may have been no difference.
Yeah, maybe. Who knows? Would my head hurt more or less when slammed into a curbing stone with or without protection?

Hmmm, I wonder. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
This has come up here before; I remember getting some flak for my position on helmets, seeing as how I've gone from a knee-jerk helmet advocate to an insistent non-user.

I will wear one for organized rides that require them; if a helmet law is passed, I will wear one until the battle to overturn it is won. They're not such an issue that I'd quit riding.

Statistics show no benefit; anecdotes do. Take your pick.
How many times have you crashed on your head? Enough times to make a statistically significant conclusion?

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Sorry, didnt know this subject had come up just recently, have been reading others thread.

On The subject of helmets, and excuse if this has been debated before, but what is the difference between a £10 helmet and £130 helmet, or $10 and $130? Excluding aerodynamically shapes and differences in strap quality I believe pricing is ridiculous. I purchased a helmet for £29 from a cycle shop, a few weeks later in a general store in town that stocks everything from lightbulbs, paint to stationary I was picking up some car wax and a chamois leather when I noticed they were selling helmets. On closer inspection, apart from a cheaper looking red & white plastic outer overlay the helmet was exactly the same as I'd purchased, only this one was selling for £6.99.
Styrofoam is a cheap material, although its protection qualities go without saying as its used extensively but are cyclists being ripped off?
Your question can actually be tricky to answer...to some degree it always comes down to "you get what you pay for" I think.

I guess unfortunately the more you pay you get better quality, lighter CF vs plastic etc. but then you kinda already answered your own question.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,504 Posts

Both cheap helmets and expensive ones have to pass the same standards.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,504 Posts
But your claim is based on semantic information because you didn't go through the same incident without a helmet. There may have been no difference./QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe. Who knows? Would my head hurt more or less when slammed into a curbing stone with or without protection?

Hmmm, I wonder. :rolleyes:
Oh I have no doubt it can make a difference. Look, you don't have to try and justify your own person choices to me but at the same time don't try to tell me something saved your life without being able to substantiate it.

But what the hell do I know? I ride with underwear on my head.

·
1,355 Posts
It took a long time for me to get used to the idea of wearing a helmet. I like the feel of the wind going through what used to be my hair.:D But now it just makes sense to me to add a little extra protection. Besides this time of year it helps to keep my noggin warm.

But what the hell do I know? I ride with underwear on my head.
Boxers or briefs?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts