Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I did a nice 40 miler today, started later than I wanted and paid heat wise, and got a flat bout 5-6 miles from home. Luckily there was a spot to pull off and get under some trees for shade. Anyway the wfiee(yes the spousal unit-wifee) and I had some things to do today and I added a stop to the LBS to get a couple new tubes. Burned through three in the last few days.

I went to a shop on the other side of the water since we were over that way and and asked for the specific tube I was looking for and they were out. He made me an offer an a set of tubes a step up from what I was using, LATEX was what he was offering up! I was like yea I've heard a little bit about them and asked home much. Answer:$17.49 per tube! He was quick to point out latex rolls 10 % faster! Course I said I'm not that fast and after blowing 3 tubes in as many days wasn't in any hurry to lay down 35 bux just to change it again tomorrow, I need to get over this roll I'm on.

Anyway he handed me a printed article to read over and I was actually quite surprised at some of the info in the article.

He had mentioned (and I know this guy and he can ride!) he was riding a pretty course tire a 60 tpi with latex tubes and felt it was much better and faster. Compared it to riding tubulars.

I manged to find the article on line and will post it here for your review

All this to say my next tubes will be a set of these when I get over this little tear everything up spell I've been rolling on :D If the body can tell a 5% change I'm game to try for 10% and it could be the cheapest 10% reduction in rolling resistance I can buy!

·
Registered
415 Posts
What shop did you shop at?

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BikeBeat in Kiln Creek and talked with Chris.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thats about 4 miles from my house.. Chris is a great guy... I visit the store a couple of times a week...

Good info in that link you posted.... I have been looking at Latex tubes myself, but forking out that much for a tube is a little high...

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
go with those latex tubes Rola but I'd say also put on a pair of gatorskins or something like that for your tire, sounds like you have some bad luck with road debris (glass, rocks, etc.). I think the latex loses air quicker so you'll probably be pumping tires for each ride, not a big deal though. Do you think maybe you are pinch flatting?

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go with those latex tubes Rola but I'd say also put on a pair of gatorskins or something like that for your tire, sounds like you have some bad luck with road debris (glass, rocks, etc.). I think the latex loses air quicker so you'll probably be pumping tires for each ride, not a big deal though. Do you think maybe you are pinch flatting?
No pinch flats, on one of them the presta valve came out and shot off like a rocket while I was getting ready for a ride, same with the other, except it just broke. The last was road debris....glass I could not avoid it all!

I air up before every ride as it is so that won't be an issue.

I had gone prolly 2-2.5 years without a flat and now it seems I can't avoid them :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happened to think about this this morning. Had a ride cancelled for rain this morning and so I ended up with LOTSA extra time. I'm getting ready for a couple centuries and thinking about what I need. The need for new tubes came to the top of the list, and think since I have new tyres I will try the latex in them for the upcoming events :D.

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got two brand new Conti 4000s and Latex that I will be installing the 1st of May. I have been using some Bontrager Race X Lite tubes and have had no issues. They do seem to need more air more often than others but I'm good with that as I air up before every ride anyway! It's taken a while to commit to this. At the time I had originally posted this I was on a role with flats but it seems I'm finally past that!

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope no nuts :D In that case I was in the garage and unscrewed the presta to far not paying attention and it shot off like a rocket. Since then I only unscrew them enough to get air in!

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
5,029 Posts
What brand were the Latex's? I would be interested in trying them but I am concerned that on a CX bike they may not hold up as well. I do see that Continental makes a CX tube.

·
889 Posts
Your talk about riding is making me very envious. We have about 2 feet of snow here...

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I remember this old post but never really heard the "skinny" on if you could tell any real performance boost or aesthetic road feel from the tubes. Got a review or at least a thumbs up/down for me?

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never did do it :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts