Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people out there think about noisy hubs? I've heard that some hubs are noisy because they have more points of contact, which means you re engage faster we you start pedaling, but surely that can't make much of a difference once you are pedaling. And doesn't all that noise mean you are being slowed down when coasting? What's the verdict out on the street?

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
zoom, seriously...get over it. The INFINITESIMAL amount of 'friction' while you are riding would amount to, say, you rolling 23.69989999 meters with one strong pedal stroke, as opposed to 23.6999. You wasted more energy THINKING about it than you have lost from it in all your riding!

I have a Sun Equalizer wheelset on my bike (MTB); these wheels spin better, longer, and LOUDER than any other I've used! And the engagement of the hub when I start pedaling is almost faster than thought -- I get more drag on my forward progress by pedaling knees-out than ANY 'noise-related drag'.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Neither are better or worse, it's just the way their made. I have an 84 Fuji Club that clicks real loud, and others that click softly, and I have a 84 Trek 660 and a 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe that make no noise. It's just the way the freewheel manufacture made it. Although, the Schwinn when I first got it made a soft quiet ticking sound until I sprayed it with Speed SkateLube and it stopped making any noise. The drag is there regardless if the pawls are making noise or not.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
The quiet ones are faster. It just makes sense that the energy that goes into making it click so loud could be redirected into more momentum propelling you forward at a faster rate. I can site some real world experience. Case in point, my bike originally came with loud Fulcrum 7's and when I upgraded to the quiet Dura Ace 7850 SL's it was like night and day. The bike just wanted to keep rolling and rolling with less effort.

That's my story,

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
The quiet ones are faster. It just makes sense that the energy that goes into making it click so loud could be redirected into more momentum propelling you forward at a faster rate. I can site some real world experience. Case in point, my bike originally came with loud Fulcrum 7's and when I upgraded to the quiet Dura Ace 7850 SL's it was like night and day. The bike just wanted to keep rolling and rolling with less effort.

That's my story,
That's because your noisy hubs were cheap! My noisy hubs built by 3 Murine, they came with 3 mice, and the faster they run inside the hub the faster I go, but they do make a lot of noise while running.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
That's because your noisy hubs were cheap! My noisy hubs built by 3 Murine, they came with 3 mice, and the faster they run inside the hub the faster I go, but they do make a lot of noise while running.
Cheap? I shall forward your comments to Fulcrum, may they seek revenge upon you and your hubs for animal cruelty!

I'm thinking about getting some of those new kinetic bearings. They store up energy while you coast and then when you hit the cranks they release all that energy and spin like mad. They are going to be awesome for hill repeats!

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Cheap? I shall forward your comments to Fulcrum, may they seek revenge upon you and your hubs for animal cruelty!

I'm thinking about getting some of those new kinetic bearings. They store up energy while you coast and then when you hit the cranks they release all that energy and spin like mad. They are going to be awesome for hill repeats!
Animal cruelty? All you liberals, I can't stand it. Look, I work those mice to death, then I gave them all a christian bural, how much nicer can a person be? And I keep a well fed stock of mice on hand to replace those that died, food for free too, in the wild they would have to scrounge for food...not mine.

I tried the spring contraption in my bottom bracket once, where the more I pedaled forward the more the spring wound up to the point where I couldn't even pedal anymore, then the idea was when I let my feet off the pedals the spring would unwind and the crank would just fly. That was well and good but I could never get my feet off fast enough and would get wacked in the shins by the pedals. So I have these nice scars on my legs.

And then because I was riding in the mountains of So California, there would be times descending that my brakes would fade, so I got the bright idea to get a parachute and wear it to my back. The first time I go to use it the chute deployed so fast it riped me off my seat, all I remember was waking up in the hospital wondering how I got there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts