Wheel Powered Lights

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by TxCyclist, Jun 13, 2009.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I looked awhile back but no product really stood as as being superior. I remember having one years ago that was very inefficient. Has anything changed?

2. Roguefx

Roguefx New Member

Hi Dean,
    Been using various dynamos for years and they have changed quite a lot.
    The newer bottle type are far more efficient and quieter than they used to be and are pretty bright when used with either a decent halogen or LED front light.
    Unless you're looking at the expensive types there is not much difference between them but look for reviews that test the ones your looking at in the wet and mud. Some of the real cheepies still slip a lot in bad weather.

If you need something a bit better then look at the type with the generator built in to the front wheel. (Good but expensive)
    These are a bit more efficient and don't slip in the rain or snow. These can also be brighter when used with the newer LED type lights. I intend to change to these when I replace the front wheel.

Some lights have a stand light built in which will keep the lights on even when you stop which is essential for in town riding.

A couple of other types of generator are knocking around but I've never tried them.
    One fits under the frame and has a roller which presses against the wheel. The other fits on the frame and has a sproket that goes under the chain so that it's driven by the train. I've only ever seen that one once.

3. Eric

Eric Guest

Hello Dean,
    I have knocked up a few hub generator powered lights lately. So if you require any advise please contact me.
    Cheers
    Eric

4. nintendofreek

nintendofreek Guest

Interesting, I'll have to look into these more on the net. Haven't heard anything about them in a while.

5. gpshay

gpshay New Member

6. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Wow, those Busch & Müller's are outstanding! They look as bright and clear as lights 3X their price. No ghost rings either, I like that.