Wheel truing stand suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by HandsomeRyan, Sep 29, 2009.

1. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I'd like to pick up a wheel truing stand for both truing my existing wheels and taking my wheel building to the next level. I know there are a lot of options out there from some very inexpensive units to some very expensive shop quality stands. I live in a 900sqft apartment so the DIY option is pretty much off the table as all my tools are 500 miles away in storage in my parents basement.

Can anyone recommend a wheel truing stand for a casual hobbyist?

Here are a few I'm looking at:

• Park Pro Truing stand ($180ish) probably more stand than I really need at this level.
    • Park TS-8 ($90ish) This one doesn't look too bad for the price.
    • Spin Doctor Truing Stand 2 ($70ish) looks cheap/flimsy from the pics I've seen.
    • Feedback Sports Pro Truing Stand ($60ish) looks like it needs to be mounted to a workbench (which I don't have)

Right now I'm leaning toward the Park TS-8 as a good compromise between quality and price.

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

My feelings about tools are to get the best you can afford. There was never any doubt in my mind as to which truing stand to get. It was a no brainer--Park TS-2. I got one on ebay for around 100 bucks.
    [​IMG]

3. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Have you ever thought of just using the front forks as a truing stand. When I was younger I trued a few rims by flipping my bike over on the seat and handlebars and trued a rim by using the brakes as a guide. Best part is you already have it. If you are running disks you may have to come up with a guide but if you have rim brakes you have it made.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I used the Spin Doctor. It's fine for truing, not so good for building.

5. Michigander

Michigander Member

I'm pretty much with Grape Ape. I've never had too much trouble truing them up right while on my bike stand, still mounted to my bike. Maybe I won't get them as perfect as I might have with a stand, but I know for sure I'll be bashing them back out of shape, so I don't think it makes much difference.

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Pretty much any truing stand will do including the on-the-bike method if all you're doing is truing an existing wheel. If you are building a wheel, I think it's worth the extra $$$ for the best. Just my two pennies.