Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading around a bit and I have read that wheel and tire choice is a more important factor over frame material when it comes to how a bike rides and responds. I have always believed that frame material mattered most, but I have been seeing this more and more around the forums. I would like to hear what you all have to say on this topic. If you feel this way, what do you look for in a wheel/tire combo? Thanks.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I had to look and see which forum this was posted in before I answered. My guess would be that an aero wheel, or deep section wheel would probably affect the ride more than frame material. But if you're realistic about what makes a good wheel for a street-ridden (as opposed to track only) bike, then frame material and construction still comes first.

·
12,350 Posts
I've posted once or twice over on that other site (;)) and there is certainly a bias in the SS/FG forum when it comes to wheels. I've never ridden an Aerospoke-equipped bike, but have run some 43mm tall wheels. In my opinion, they contributed to what could best be described as a "dead" feeling. In contrast, the stock wheels on my Wabi are lively and fast rolling. They're also one of the best kept secrets out there.

Have a look

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, IH - those cost less than the Ritchey's :) I read ALOT of good things about the Wabi bikes, but I never focused much on their wheelsets. I'm not too familair with JoyTech hubs but I have heard of them. I didn't hear the name Jalco before, but I admit to being naive when it comes to single speed wheelsets. They are light, that's for sure! And, knowing that you have been riding them with no troubles is a good sign.

·
12,350 Posts
JoyTech and Jalco are both OEM suppliers. Richard and his brother have a long history of working with them. You may not be familiar with them, but they make some of the stuff you see with brand names on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts