wheels

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by vicg, May 1, 2010.

1. vicg

vicg VICG

I would like to change the 37c (semi slick) tires that are on my Scott Sportster P6 hybrid to 30c (road) tires, can I still use the same tubes from the 37c tires?:confused:

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Nope. They're too big.

3. vicg

vicg VICG

Thanks

Thanks alot Industry_Hack I wasn't sure since I read somewhere on the net that if I were to use that size of tire I could use my old tube.:thumbsup:

4. Industry_Hack

Tubes are designed to fit a certain size tire when full expanded. Some tubes are designed to fit more than one size, like a 23-25, or 25-28, but that's only about a 10% difference, and that's usually a matter of the tube stretching a bit extra. Cramming that big tube into a smaller tire is a bad idea, as it won't be able to inflate to the proper shape.

For the record, I'm running a 25mm tube in a really fat 28mm tire, and I flatted. Patching doesn't work, because the tube stretches so much to fit, and the patch doesn't stretch.

5. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Gotta come down on the other side of this one, Hack; the larger tubes oughta just have the opposite effect, be a little thicker fully inflated inside the smaller tire. Until I see otherwise, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

6. Industry_Hack

Uh, did you miss this part?

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Quit stalking me, Heathcliff....

Hack, I'm basing it on my own experiences; YMMV. As will OP's. Now, DA, that's a whole 'nother can of worm-eaten peat moss; don't think he uses miles, kilometers, or kellicams, for that matter..........................

8. DrkAngel

DrkAngel New Member

tubeing

If the tube is larger than the tire, you run the risk of folds, or wrinkles. Also, the tube might not expand evenly, which is a factor in proper "bead" seating!

9. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

We're only talking about the difference of going from 1 3/8 to 1 1/4, so I doubt that a change in tubes is actually required. Maybe the current tubes were stretching a bit to fit the larger tires and they'll fit the new tires perfectly!

Just to put it in perspective: When I go to the LBS for a tube for a 28x406 tire, nine times out of ten I'll get handed a 'dual' 406/451 tube, which in actuality two inches too big in diameter. Nobody seems to care except me. That's like handing someone a tube for 38x700C and telling them it's fine to use with their mountain bike. Compared to that, the 1/8" difference in width that you're talking about is less than meaningless.